Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 75 questions
votes
Hello, B. Hetland. The size pressure cooker you choose should depend on how you intend using it. When I purchased my first pressure cooker I also was looking at the 6 & 8 qt. After researching, I decided on the 8qt, and was very pleased with the decision. You see, the qt capacity is to the brim of the pressure pan. However, it should not be filled past 2/3 full--and with some foods, not past 1/2 full, this means that in an 8qt cooker, the most you can put into it will be less than 6 quarts for the 2/3 full and, and for the 1/2 full rule, only 4 qts. I like to cook in large batches, so about 6 months ago I decided to also get a 10qt [Fagor]. Pressure cookers are extremely versatile appliances. In addition to cooking under pressure, they can also be used as regular saucepans, replacing other cookware. If you really get into using it frequently, and for its many applications, the larger 8qt size will give you more options, because it will accomodate a greater variety of inserts. Here is one that I have found extremely useful: Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel Dessert Maker Insert. This is also available brand new at eBay for a very reasonable price. I understand your concern for space limitations, and while the 8qt does have a larger footprint, I think you will be happy with that choice in the long run. I too have limited space in my kitchen, I managed to make room for 3 pressure cookers [6, 8 & 10 qt]. Because these are the pans I use most often, one is always "on display" on the cooktop. I also have a 4qt Presto, which I recently put with our camping gear. Because you are new to pressure cooking, you will probably be looking for useful information on how to get the most from your new pressure cooker. I recommend this cookbook: Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes The author also has a website with discussion forums www.missvickie.com
Jul 4, 2009 by Snow White
vote
Right around seven inches high, by ten inches wide.
Oct 8, 2014 by Barefoot Don
vote
vote
Yes, it is ok as long as the food in jars do not call for more psi than the cooker can produce. I believe the psi is 10 to 12. So if your food is calling for 10 to 12 pounds of pressure, you should not have a problem. Just be sure and let the cooker release naturally, do not use quick pressure release. Be sure and take all safety precautions to keep from harming yourself due to steam or broken jars. Good luck.
Aug 31, 2013 by Brenda
votes
As of January 2007, this product is not recommended for pressure canning. Call the Presto customer care number for more information. 1-800-877-0441
Jun 19, 2008 by Snow White
votes
I have cooked 4-5 lbs of meat along with vegetables and broth in this container. It is fast and will allow less expensive cuts of meat to make stews and soups.
Dec 13, 2014 by James
votes
you could use it to can pints jars, not tall enough for quarts
Aug 4, 2014 by michael wrigley
votes
is it induction ready? Jan 12, 2015
As far as I can ascertain, this is not considered induction cookware. If you are thinking of being able to use this cooker in the oven as a finishing method, I would absolutely advise not to. The plastic is attached to both the lid and the pot to complete the locking mechanism. You can however saute in this cooker no problem! It has a very thick base of stainless steel, but is still rather light. Hope that helps!
Jan 13, 2015 by Roscoe
votes
Patented in the U.S. Made in china.
Mar 27, 2013 by Bekkie Lew
votes
SisterZ, I do not know the answer to that question, but if you go to www.missvickie.com, Vickie Smith will probably be able to help. She has a website dedicated entirely to pressure cooking. One of her services is to answer questions such as this. You could also try contacting the manufacturer of your range.
Mar 24, 2009 by Snow White
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers