5.0 out of 5 stars tear-jerking
Published on March 23, 2000 by Denise

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but too long
A good book overall however, whenever it seemed to lag, they would kill someone off. The storyline of the daughters inevitable conversion was predictable, yet inspiring. While slightly unrealistic, I finally got into it once I was about 1/4 of the way through the book. Many of the scenes seemed unnecessary. The core of the story was the search for God, and while I...
Published on February 12, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars tear-jerking, March 23, 2000
I'm a very big fan of Lori Wick and I believe this to be one of her best books. I can see the main characters vividly and feel their joy and pain. I've never read a book which follows the characters from childhood to adulthood. Mackenzie and Delancey were like friends to me. It was amazing to read about their lives the way the author portrayed them. There were so many facets to the characters. I've read this book twice and will probably read it time and time again. It has some strong Christian viewpoints and shows how God's love can change even the hardest of hearts. If you like to be moved both emotionally and spiritually, I recommend this book to you. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review, July 30, 2004
I have read this book a few times now and also ALL of the reviews listed for it on this site. I am an avid fan of Lori Wick. I can understand people's complaints about "Pretense" being too long and also having graphic detail. But the truth is, I find this book to be a refreshing change for Lori. In every other book her characters are perfect to the point that their only faults are they lost their temper or something. Pretense is a realistic book. Delancey and Micki get involved in worldy things and Lori does go into detail but I think this only adds depth to the book and helps people to relate to the mistakes they may have made in their own lives. I think it is a great witness to non-christians and I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending it. Also, although Pretense is long, I think that only helped increase the realism of the story and let us know the characters more. It had sad, depressing moments but it was true to life. If you want to read a book that is full of light hearted moments then don't read Pretense. But if you want a book that will captivate you and will remind you of God's presence in our lives no matter what the circumstances then definitely read "Pretense".

Also, on another note... while writing reviews can people please try to remember that while it is okay to give their opinions on a book it is entirely different to personally critise an author. I think that's wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, challenging and heartwarming, October 27, 2000
By A Customer
Being someone who doesn't usually read alot, I was shocked when I was given such a thick book as a gift! but after reading the first 5 chapters I was already afraid to finish this story. I cried, I laughed, I felt the characters pain and their gain, I have never read a book so inspiring and beautiful as Pretense. I only wish the book never ended, that we could journey with the characters on and on forever. This book was the first Lori Wick book I have read, but I assure you, it won't stop at one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!Helps one understand God's Love,Grace,His Promise, September 22, 1999
By A Customer
I read this book, and it's wonderful how the author helps the reader understand that our walk here is but a short one, and we should not deter in finding Him. Finding our faith come's in God's time, and it let's one know to Trust in Him, and you will recieve Grace everlasting. The trials that Mackenzie, Delancy, and their friends and family go through are so real! God definately did work through the authors pen! I'm proud to say that I am a Christian, and It's so good to read of people finding Him, and believing in Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars My ALLTIME Favorite book!!!, June 22, 2003
A Kid's Review
I LOVED this book!!! I am a HUGE fan of Lori Wick, and before I was done with the first chapter, I was hooked. It is a very emotional book, which I loved. I cried three times and laughed out lound at some of the Bishop girl's comments. I was sooo disapointed when I was finished. It is one of those books that is sooo hard to put down. It presented the gift of salvation beutifully. I would DEFINATLY recommend this book to ANYONE who loves emotional books with a Christian backround. Ahh, I can't say enough about the book, so you'll just have to read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretense, February 24, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. I have always liked Lori Wick's books and this was better than her others. I felt like I understood what Mackenzie and Delancey were going through even though I have not gone through most of that stuff myself. I would recommend this book to anyone expecially someone who feels like something is missing in there life because Lori Wick really covers that emotions in Pretense.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the best book ever!!!!!!!!!!:):):), October 17, 2002
This was an incredible book! It is probably one of te best Christian Fictional noverls that I have ever read! There is just enough of everything in it and the whole story blends togther perfectly. It was totally great! I recomend this book to anyone who wants to read a very well written book that ends in the best possible way ever! It was incredible! Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, July 23, 2001
By A Customer
I must say this book is one of my new favorites. You could really identify with the characters because you are watching them grow, and you see them in every aspect, in happy times, in times of trial, they are so believable. I loved watching the characters realize their need for God, and I rejoiced with them when they turned to Him. I cried several times while reading, but I was determined to finish the book, and I am so glad I did. Though it does seem a bit long at times, it is definitely worth reading, and I can easily recommend it to anyone who likes a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare your emotions!, June 27, 2001
After reading Princess by Lori Wick I decided to try some of her other books, and the next book I bought was Pretense. Although it was not at all like Princess, I loved it. I think every single emotion in my heart was stirred. I have been a Christian my entire life, so it was good for me to see what people are like before and after they get saved. I gave it to my best friend who read it in a day, and she said that Lori Wick portrayed unsaved people very well. (she was saved in high school) I also loved the sisterly bond that occured between the girls. It was such a real and true story! I couldn't put it down, and I would recommend it to anyone!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaces Sophie's Heart as my favorite!, May 26, 2001
A few months ago when I finished Sophie's Heart I thought no other book by Lori Wick would ever be as good. I was wrong. Pretense was fabulous! I was engrossed before page 100 which in a 700 page book that was not so bad. The storyline is very involved, and the highlight of the book is the characters. They were very realistic and so well developed that they were believable. I cried twice in the book, and often found myself chuckling or laughing hysterically at Mackenzie's comments. The message of salvation is woven beautifully throughout the book. I'm glad the Wick made the girls wait a while to come to Christ. It was good that she could illustrate through her story that there is no sin that God can not forgive, and that all people even Christians must struggle with temptations. After I read page 702, I just sat there staring at the page not wanting to read the last sentence because the book couldn't possibly be over already! Thank you Lori Wick for the best book I've read in a long time!

Pretense (Contemporary Romance)
Pretense (Contemporary Romance) by Lori Wick (Paperback - July 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01