5.0 out of 5 stars A is Gathering Intell.
Oh my Gravy, A is gathering intell on all of the Pretty Little Liars (PLL), and I mean all of them. When she does gather her intell, then she plans to go to work to ruin the lives of the PLL's.

This is such a fun read that will keep fans of this series glued to each page, and left wanting more when the book is done.

This takes place between books 4...
Published on January 6, 2012 by Reacher Creature

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty terrible
I recently got into the series based on a friends recommendation. I was surprised with how easily I was hooked with the first book. I could barely put down books 1-10 and was sad to see that 11 won't be released for almost 6 more months.

Published on January 18, 2012 by mb

5.0 out of 5 stars A is Gathering Intell., January 6, 2012

This takes place between books 4 and 5. Ian is in Jail, and the person who they think is A is dead and gone, and the lives of the PLL will get back to normal. This so isn't the case. Let's call this, the calm before the storm.

Hanna - She's so willing do to anything to become popular, and I mean anything. Hanna has to deal with her stepfamily moving into her house and everything begins to change. The Holidays are coming, but all isn't in good cheer. Hanna has to deal with Kate, her stepsister, her stepmom and father. Kate isn't making it easy and Hanna has to find a way to make it work. With all of this going on, her boyfriend, is away on vacation, and Hanna gets jealous, because her boyfriend (I won't say who it is) isn't in contact with Hanna, and the old Hanna surfaces. The old Hanna that will eat anything, and her self-esteem is shot to hell. She has her eye on a new boy, but so does someone else. A someone else that will make sure that she, and not Hanna will get the boy. While all of this is going on, she has to confront her feelings about A and who A was. She has a lot to deal with, can "Hefty Hanna" deal with it, and not fall into old traps?

Emily-Emily is dealing with her "adventures" with A, and her mom has special plans for Emily. She wants Emily to find out who is ripping down Christmas decoration from people's yards, and tell her mom who's doing it, so they can be brought to justice. However, when Emily becomes part of the gang, she realizes that these people aren't as stuck up as they seem, and have real problems to deal with their families. When it comes down to it, can she do the right thing? What I liked about this is Emily thought, "What would A do?" and used that as influence to help her make her decisions. It was a really interesting touch.

Aria - This was an interesting one. Aria is also deal with the outcome of A, and really doesn't seem that bothered by it. I mean, it's in the back of her mind, but she doesn't let it rule her judgements. An old friend from Aria's past, comes to her and asks her for her help. Aria does, and she makes the ultimate decision to help her friend in need. She doesn't really think with her head, but with her heart. She does something so shocking, I never say it coming, and my jaw dropped.

Spencer - This was really interesting. There's a lot of fallout from her family, and they still don't trust her, or really want her around. That being said, they all go on vacation together and soon Spencer has her sights set on one guy, and so does someone else. It becomes a battle of wills between Spencer and the other girl, and it all comes down to one showdown, where there can only be one winner. As this is going on, she learns some secrets about the person she has her eyes on. Spencer doesn't really seems that shook up about Ali in this part of her story. She does think about Ali, but it does not influence her judgment on the task at hand.

What I like about this is that it's a bit different that the other PLL books. We have an introduction from A, and at the end of each part of the girl's story, we get another message from A about what each girl is doing. Each girl has their own part, and the parts don't really interwind. Some do a bit, but not very much. Another thing I liked is how what you read about in Hanna's part, you see the effects in the other girl's stories. That was such a nice touch.

One aspect I really liked was that the PLL's thought they'd see a flash of blond hair, or a giggle, or the feeling of being watched. Did they just see and hear all of this, or is it a figment of their imagination? That's for the reader to decide.

This is a great 'in-between' book for the series. If you've read all the books in the series, and you read A's comments at the end of each part, you see how is foreshadows what she did in other books. It was a very nice touch on Shepard's part.

Also, as with the other books, if you look in the dust jacket on the cover, we get a message from A.

I love this series, and I can't wait till June 5th 2012 when the next book in the series, Stunning comes out. I'll be the first person in line to get my copy.

Long Live A!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, as always, January 5, 2012
Like all of Shepard's other books, this one was interesting and suspenseful. I finished it in a number of hours, and was completely satisfied after I finished. However, it feels somewhat repetitive, being very similar to the other books. Yet, if you are like me and just can't get enough of PLL books, then it is a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The secrets never end!, January 4, 2012
syeira (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
If there's one major theme in the Pretty Little Liars series, it has to be the consequences of secrecy. In every one of the books, our four favorite Liars; Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily try to live normally while dodging and coping with the secrets that haunt them all. In "Pretty Little Liars: Pretty Little Secrets", the girls' winter vacation of their junior year is explored. The girls experience various misadventures that allow the readers to get acclimated once again with the girls. This book takes place between the books 4 (Unbelievable) and 5 (Wicked). As a side note, I read this book without going back to re-read what had happened in 4/5 and had no problems with the story. The plots in this book are virtually standalone.

Throughout the series, I have noticed a certain trade-off between daringly juicy plots and (at times) underwhelming characterization. I feel as though PLL:PLS is like a "make-up" for that. The early books in the series provide great characterization but that tapers off toward the end of the series. In this book, however, we are basically in the minds of the girls for several chapters at a time. The book is written in almost a novella fashion, with each of the girls getting a short story comprised of several chapters. This is unlike the rest of the series in which the time frame is consistent but the point of view shifts between the girls. In spite of the different form of narrative, Shepard executes yet another PLL with success.

This book is an excellent supplement for any fan of the series. As readers, we can explore the character of each of the girls like never before. Their inner dialogue is much more revealing as to their personal idiosyncrasies, etc. The stories in this book provide a colorful portrait of Rosewood and are enjoyable for readers, plus, they allow us to immerse ourselves in the world that Shepard has created. The plots may not be as scandalous as many of the other books, but they certainly have their fair share of guilty-pleasure-gasp moments and wickedly witty remarks that made me laugh out loud. As a fan of the series, I definitely recommend this book as it is a great addendum to the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty terrible, January 18, 2012

The format of this book was different. Instead of every chapter focusing on a different girl the first quarter of the book focused on Hanna, etc. I wasn't a fan of this. Some new secrets were added, but there was no interaction between characters and half of what was going on was predictable. Also the stories just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the series very well. I can't really put my finger on it, but I pretty much had to force myself through this one. Took me several days longer to finish as compared with the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, at best., February 14, 2013
This book was just Ok. Yes, it was entertaining. However, it was entirely irrelevant. It had nothing to do with A or any of the secrets the girls are keeping in the recent books. I knew it would be like that, but I was hoping for more substance, and more clues that pertain to the latest books. That was disappointing. Also I was disappointed by certain revelations about the 4 Liars. This "inbetweener" was published after book 10. Chronologically, it is after book 4 and before book 5. After reading 10 books we should have gotten to know the characters. But suddenly in this book, out of nowhere: Hannah and her father are suddenly Jewish but her faith has never before been mentioned while Emily's has; Spencer's grandmother is now a partying cougar who lives in a beach-front golfing community (where Ali's parents suddenly also happen to have a house) rather than a more secluded beach house like what was what is hinted at in some of the other books; Emily's mother is even meaner to her and more uncaring and is forcing her daughter to spy on possible thieves; and Aria's family suddenly loves to celebrate the Winter Solstice and takes yearly family naked solstice outings. These would have been important details to know closer to the beginning of the series. Now the details feel fake, like they don't match the characters or circumstances we have come know. So, while I was entertained, I was also perplexed and by the sudden making up of random details that we should have already know.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, January 1, 2013
It was awesome. Great read.came in perfect condition.I love the pretty little liars series and I'm 41. I am young at heart I guess.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really boring and unnecessary! Surprised! :(, March 22, 2012
I was really looking forward to this book. I love the Pretty Little Liars book series and I was happy that there was another. But after I figured out that it was set between book 4 and 5, it lessened my interest but I still felt like I should read it because it would probably be good knowing Sara Shepard. But I was wrong. The secrets were good and shocking but it lacked A for 1 and it got confusing to remember they don't know who the 2nd or 3rd A was yet. It got annoying and boring. I'm a pretty fast reader when it comes to these books but this book took me like 3 months! That is ridiculous. It was 4 separate stories and this, if you ask me was a waste of my money. There was nothing that left you on the edge of your seat. Not a lot of action at all really just back story. The secrets also revealed a lot but doesn't make much sense in the later books. Even if the girls are good at lying they would have told each other and 1 of the secrets wasn't a very good secret so really only 3 okay secrets. If that.

This book was really not needed at all and I think it was just something else to sell. Well, it worked. I was really let down by this book and regret buying it. And I feel bad saying that about Sara's work, but in this case I was really surprised it was that bad. Back story was all it was. And a Waste of money.

The reason I gave it 3 stars was because of the 3 good secrets. That's about it and maybe because some things were funny. And a little "I can't believe they would do something like that moment" But overall it's not needed. And boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Is Here to StAy!, February 3, 2012
This bonus book comes between Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars #4) and Pretty Little Liars #5: Wicked and readers gain whole new insights into this quartet of Pretty Little Liars!

The people the girls thought were A are dead; Ian Thomas, one suspect is in jail and perhaps the girls can go on to a routine life in Rosewood, PA if such a thing is even possible.

Dramatis Personae:

Aria, my favorite PLL. An attractive, blue-eyed brunette with athletic prowess, she is not happy about her dad being involved with a local art teacher named Meredith. Meredith is pregnant and this is one major reason Aria does not want to spend the winter holidays with her dad, brother Mike, who is 2 years her junior and Meredith. Instead of traditional winter holidays, Aria Montgomery's family celebrates Winter Solstice. Aria and Mike spent 3 years in Iceland and while there, Aria acquires a yak-fur bag which becomes her security blanket. I admit I was sick of that damn yak-fur bag which is featured in every book. In this book, Aria surprises readers - there was NO WAY I saw THAT coming!

Spencer is a grind. She has an older sister named Melissa who has recently graduated from college and is viewed as the epitome of success. Spencer sputters more than an old fuse and sooner or later you can count on her to keep on doing this. The girls' mother decides what the family needs is a beach vacation and so they go to beach country where Spencer's volatile grandmother lives. Fortunately the old bag is on her own trip, so the family can stay in her house free without her kid-unfriendly presence there to spoil things. What DOES spoil things is the strife between the girls' parents; the way Spencer is treated like an unloved outcast by her own family and the cat fight she has over a tennis pro she meets. There is a funny revenge scene which is just delightful!

Emily, the swimmer who has been ostracized by others for being bisexual has been given a weird assignment. Emily's mother gets her a job playing Santa in a local mall to infiltrate a clique of girls who are allegedly stealing Christmas decorations. Her objective in getting Emily to do this - she wants the Baby Jesus that was stolen from her Nativity scene back. The kicker is she wants to sell the Baby Jesus so as to buy more gifts for Emily, her 2 older sisters and brother. This assignment puts Emily in a bad position, but the resolution is also delicious and quite unexpected! As it turns out, it is Emily who has shown true holiday spirit!

Hanna, who bears a strong resemblance to Cinderella is coping with her indifferent father and stepmother and beyotch of a stepsister, Kate, who is the same age as Hanna. Hanna's mother took a job in Singapore and Hanna feels abandoned and Kate is always finding ways to get her into trouble. Hanna's father appears to have replaced Hanna with Kate for a daughter and Kate has fangs and claws she will use at the drop of a hat. You just want to kick Hanna's dad in the shins as he puts his own daughter down to Kate and sings Kate's praises to Hanna every chance possible. Hanna's boyfriend is a nice guy (you'll have to read the book to know who it is in THIS installment). However, she meets someone new who gets her involved in a worthwhile activity. Hanna has an eating disorder and it resurfaces in this book. However, with friendships shifting and changing, Hanna comes up with a very resourceful revenge scheme that is deliciously wicked!

Each Liar has to deal with the havoc this mysterious A has wreaked. The Liars try to think of ways to stay steps ahead of A. Only Aria appears to take A in stride, despite her shocking secrets. I admit that I never saw THAT one coming and it bowled me over!

This book is a wonderful filler and is so refreshingly different in that there is nothing extraneous or predictable about it. Readers learn a lot more about each Liar and gain new insights as to what makes these characters "tick." The book is divided into 4 parts, with each Liar being given 15 chapters for readers to learn her story.

It's best if you've read all the books in the series before you get to this one (at the time of this review, "Ruthless #10" being the most current). You see the shadows that loom large in the girls' legends and you will feel the same hair raising, skin-prickly sensation of their encounters with the person or persons they think is A.

Be sure to read the dust jacket as well so you will be updated on the latest message from A. I love the PLL series and Sara Shepherd is a genius. I can't wait to read the one following "Ruthless!"

Kind of makes you hope A would stAy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sara can do better!, February 23, 2012
I'm really sad that the past couple PLL books havent been as good. The book was okay.. But I also know Sara can do better. It once again brings me to the point of, is she just writing these because of a contract? I mean #1. There is NO A in this book which sucks. And #2. Even at the end she mentions something about being happy she finished before she had her baby. So maybe this is why it seemed rushed. #3. Why not write about Emily's pregnancy that had happened at one point. Now that was a shock! Back to my point.. I felt this book was a waste. If Sara did want to put it out, it should have been put out a long time ago after we learned about Mona. IF I had to pick the best story, it would be Aria's which was a bit surprising. I will remain with my 2 stars though because I've read much better from Sara.

4.0 out of 5 stars From liars to secrets, October 28, 2013
Karen Retzlaff (Petersburg, ND, USA) - See all my reviews
Good introduction to murder, mayhem, and lies for young adults who follow the tv series. Keeps the reader guessing throughout.

Pretty Little Liars: Pretty Little Secrets
Pretty Little Liars: Pretty Little Secrets by Sara Shepard (Paperback - January 2, 2013)
$9.99