Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pretty Little Liars: Pretty Little Secrets (Pretty Little Liars Companion Novel)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 6, 2012
Oh my Gravy, A is gathering intell on all of the Pretty Little Liars (PLL), and I mean all of them. When she does gather her intell, then she plans to go to work to ruin the lives of the PLL's.

This is such a fun read that will keep fans of this series glued to each page, and left wanting more when the book is done.

This takes place between books 4 and 5. Ian is in Jail, and the person who they think is A is dead and gone, and the lives of the PLL will get back to normal. This so isn't the case. Let's call this, the calm before the storm.

Hanna - She's so willing do to anything to become popular, and I mean anything. Hanna has to deal with her stepfamily moving into her house and everything begins to change. The Holidays are coming, but all isn't in good cheer. Hanna has to deal with Kate, her stepsister, her stepmom and father. Kate isn't making it easy and Hanna has to find a way to make it work. With all of this going on, her boyfriend, is away on vacation, and Hanna gets jealous, because her boyfriend (I won't say who it is) isn't in contact with Hanna, and the old Hanna surfaces. The old Hanna that will eat anything, and her self-esteem is shot to hell. She has her eye on a new boy, but so does someone else. A someone else that will make sure that she, and not Hanna will get the boy. While all of this is going on, she has to confront her feelings about A and who A was. She has a lot to deal with, can "Hefty Hanna" deal with it, and not fall into old traps?

Emily-Emily is dealing with her "adventures" with A, and her mom has special plans for Emily. She wants Emily to find out who is ripping down Christmas decoration from people's yards, and tell her mom who's doing it, so they can be brought to justice. However, when Emily becomes part of the gang, she realizes that these people aren't as stuck up as they seem, and have real problems to deal with their families. When it comes down to it, can she do the right thing? What I liked about this is Emily thought, "What would A do?" and used that as influence to help her make her decisions. It was a really interesting touch.

Aria - This was an interesting one. Aria is also deal with the outcome of A, and really doesn't seem that bothered by it. I mean, it's in the back of her mind, but she doesn't let it rule her judgements. An old friend from Aria's past, comes to her and asks her for her help. Aria does, and she makes the ultimate decision to help her friend in need. She doesn't really think with her head, but with her heart. She does something so shocking, I never say it coming, and my jaw dropped.

Spencer - This was really interesting. There's a lot of fallout from her family, and they still don't trust her, or really want her around. That being said, they all go on vacation together and soon Spencer has her sights set on one guy, and so does someone else. It becomes a battle of wills between Spencer and the other girl, and it all comes down to one showdown, where there can only be one winner. As this is going on, she learns some secrets about the person she has her eyes on. Spencer doesn't really seems that shook up about Ali in this part of her story. She does think about Ali, but it does not influence her judgment on the task at hand.

What I like about this is that it's a bit different that the other PLL books. We have an introduction from A, and at the end of each part of the girl's story, we get another message from A about what each girl is doing. Each girl has their own part, and the parts don't really interwind. Some do a bit, but not very much. Another thing I liked is how what you read about in Hanna's part, you see the effects in the other girl's stories. That was such a nice touch.

One aspect I really liked was that the PLL's thought they'd see a flash of blond hair, or a giggle, or the feeling of being watched. Did they just see and hear all of this, or is it a figment of their imagination? That's for the reader to decide.

This is a great 'in-between' book for the series. If you've read all the books in the series, and you read A's comments at the end of each part, you see how is foreshadows what she did in other books. It was a very nice touch on Shepard's part.

Also, as with the other books, if you look in the dust jacket on the cover, we get a message from A.

I love this series, and I can't wait till June 5th 2012 when the next book in the series, Stunning comes out. I'll be the first person in line to get my copy.

Long Live A!!
on January 5, 2012
Like all of Shepard's other books, this one was interesting and suspenseful. I finished it in a number of hours, and was completely satisfied after I finished. However, it feels somewhat repetitive, being very similar to the other books. Yet, if you are like me and just can't get enough of PLL books, then it is a great read.
on January 4, 2012
If there's one major theme in the Pretty Little Liars series, it has to be the consequences of secrecy. In every one of the books, our four favorite Liars; Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily try to live normally while dodging and coping with the secrets that haunt them all. In "Pretty Little Liars: Pretty Little Secrets", the girls' winter vacation of their junior year is explored. The girls experience various misadventures that allow the readers to get acclimated once again with the girls. This book takes place between the books 4 (Unbelievable) and 5 (Wicked). As a side note, I read this book without going back to re-read what had happened in 4/5 and had no problems with the story. The plots in this book are virtually standalone.

Throughout the series, I have noticed a certain trade-off between daringly juicy plots and (at times) underwhelming characterization. I feel as though PLL:PLS is like a "make-up" for that. The early books in the series provide great characterization but that tapers off toward the end of the series. In this book, however, we are basically in the minds of the girls for several chapters at a time. The book is written in almost a novella fashion, with each of the girls getting a short story comprised of several chapters. This is unlike the rest of the series in which the time frame is consistent but the point of view shifts between the girls. In spite of the different form of narrative, Shepard executes yet another PLL with success.

This book is an excellent supplement for any fan of the series. As readers, we can explore the character of each of the girls like never before. Their inner dialogue is much more revealing as to their personal idiosyncrasies, etc. The stories in this book provide a colorful portrait of Rosewood and are enjoyable for readers, plus, they allow us to immerse ourselves in the world that Shepard has created. The plots may not be as scandalous as many of the other books, but they certainly have their fair share of guilty-pleasure-gasp moments and wickedly witty remarks that made me laugh out loud. As a fan of the series, I definitely recommend this book as it is a great addendum to the series.
on January 18, 2012
I recently got into the series based on a friends recommendation. I was surprised with how easily I was hooked with the first book. I could barely put down books 1-10 and was sad to see that 11 won't be released for almost 6 more months.

The format of this book was different. Instead of every chapter focusing on a different girl the first quarter of the book focused on Hanna, etc. I wasn't a fan of this. Some new secrets were added, but there was no interaction between characters and half of what was going on was predictable. Also the stories just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the series very well. I can't really put my finger on it, but I pretty much had to force myself through this one. Took me several days longer to finish as compared with the others.
on February 14, 2013
This book was just Ok. Yes, it was entertaining. However, it was entirely irrelevant. It had nothing to do with A or any of the secrets the girls are keeping in the recent books. I knew it would be like that, but I was hoping for more substance, and more clues that pertain to the latest books. That was disappointing. Also I was disappointed by certain revelations about the 4 Liars. This "inbetweener" was published after book 10. Chronologically, it is after book 4 and before book 5. After reading 10 books we should have gotten to know the characters. But suddenly in this book, out of nowhere: Hannah and her father are suddenly Jewish but her faith has never before been mentioned while Emily's has; Spencer's grandmother is now a partying cougar who lives in a beach-front golfing community (where Ali's parents suddenly also happen to have a house) rather than a more secluded beach house like what was what is hinted at in some of the other books; Emily's mother is even meaner to her and more uncaring and is forcing her daughter to spy on possible thieves; and Aria's family suddenly loves to celebrate the Winter Solstice and takes yearly family naked solstice outings. These would have been important details to know closer to the beginning of the series. Now the details feel fake, like they don't match the characters or circumstances we have come know. So, while I was entertained, I was also perplexed and by the sudden making up of random details that we should have already know.
on May 29, 2012
This book isn't really needed in the series... it's one of the side books written... it seems every popular series has to write side books. if it's something extra for them to sell, their bored and thinking it's something to use up time, or their trying to cue the reader into information that may not be available in the book series...

Their is basically no A tormenting them... they get no text from A in this book, but A is their. A seems to be just on the sidelines gaining information.

The book is not your average pretty little liars book... it has all emily, hannah, aria, and spencer's stories separate. Like they aren't mixed.... It's like theirs 4 parts of the book and it just goes through and tells everyone what they did over christmas holidays.
on March 22, 2012
I was really looking forward to this book. I love the Pretty Little Liars book series and I was happy that there was another. But after I figured out that it was set between book 4 and 5, it lessened my interest but I still felt like I should read it because it would probably be good knowing Sara Shepard. But I was wrong. The secrets were good and shocking but it lacked A for 1 and it got confusing to remember they don't know who the 2nd or 3rd A was yet. It got annoying and boring. I'm a pretty fast reader when it comes to these books but this book took me like 3 months! That is ridiculous. It was 4 separate stories and this, if you ask me was a waste of my money. There was nothing that left you on the edge of your seat. Not a lot of action at all really just back story. The secrets also revealed a lot but doesn't make much sense in the later books. Even if the girls are good at lying they would have told each other and 1 of the secrets wasn't a very good secret so really only 3 okay secrets. If that.

This book was really not needed at all and I think it was just something else to sell. Well, it worked. I was really let down by this book and regret buying it. And I feel bad saying that about Sara's work, but in this case I was really surprised it was that bad. Back story was all it was. And a Waste of money.

The reason I gave it 3 stars was because of the 3 good secrets. That's about it and maybe because some things were funny. And a little "I can't believe they would do something like that moment" But overall it's not needed. And boring.
on November 9, 2013
It was a nice extra book, I'm currently rereading it! It won't dissappoint PLL fans. It has different sections about the 4 girls during their winter holidays, with all the twists and turns full of secrets and decisions. Whats not to love? It is worth the time take my word for it.
on March 1, 2013
I got this on my Kindle Fire instead of getting the book. But I'm going to end up buying the book the old fashion way after I read it on the Kindle to add to my Pretty Little Liars collection. I still need to get it. I love the books! I love all the books! Just like I love the show on ABC Family!
on August 31, 2015
At A Glance

Genre: Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Insta like GAG!
Cliff Hanger: Nope.

Writing: 7
Ending: n/a

Total: 3

In Depth

Best Part: None of the above.
Worst Part: Pointless stories.
Overall Feels Felt: Bored; Shut up!; That's what you get!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series: yes
Recommending: nooooooooooooo
Misc.:

Short Review: Well since i read all 16 books, i figured i should read the novellas too. Big mistake. This was crap. Comparing this to Fan-Fic. It's just ugh.

Hanna's story was gag worthy. Hanna please stop throwing yourself at every man!

Aria's story was wayyyyy too far fetched. Marring in Atlantic City. Aria please calm your tits.

Emily's story was a bit exciting but demeaning. Her mom saying s*** about girl's with short hair are lesbians. Emily please get the stick out of your ass.

Spencer's story was the worse, i think. Fighting over yet another man with her sister. Spencer please kill your sister already. Melissa please act your damn age.