Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 28, 1999
This was my favorite book as a child, although I discovered in later years that my parents had changed his girlfriend's name to Gretchen when reading it aloud since my name is Greta! I'd recommend this to anyone since it shows kids it's okay to be different and problems can be overcome with patience. I've been searching for this for years and am thrilled to finally own it. When I got my dachshund I immediately named him after this book.
on June 15, 2001
This is such a charming tale about a male dachshund named Pretzel trying to win the affections of his lady-friend. He tries all kinds of antics to woo her and impress her, but it isn't until he rescues her from a deep hole that he truly wins her heart. A must for every child! I still love to read it and I'm 26!
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2005
I far preferred Pretzel to Curious George because I've always been partial to dogs, especially hounds. I actually knew a little black dachshund named Gretchen and several brown ones named Gretel, so I had to smile at jealous Greta who had a prejudice toward long dogs and rebuffed Pretzel until Pretzel bailed her out of a jam. Greta was also jealous of Pretzel's blue ribbon, which she won in a dog show. Pretzel demonstrates class and character to help one who had never been nice to her.
on June 26, 2014
This book was a favorite of mine when I was little and I am glad that I get to share it with my little one.

Pretzel is a dachshund who takes pride that he is different from everyone else. He has won blue ribbons for being the best dog, but he can not win over his love Greta. She doesn't like long dogs. He tries to win over her affections but still she refuses him. It's not until she falls into a deep hole and Pretzel rescues her that she decides to marry him. This is a charming story that has many good points to it, you should accept that you can be different from everyone else. Pretzel didn't look at his situation and pout but took it in stride and won blue ribbons. He also didn't hold a grudge against Greta and still helped her out when she was in trouble. There are many ways you can look at this story and see teachable moments for your little one.
on August 12, 2013
I ordered what I thought was a hard cover edition what arrived was a soft cover. The story itself is a great addition to my sons Curious George collection. However I knew a soft cover would never last. I went to return it and Amazon just refunded me and said I could keep it. I donated it to a local book drive and for now we are reading our hardcover library book until I get around to purchasing it in a Hardcover edition.
on December 27, 1998
I have looked and looked for this book because it was out of print for some time. I have an old paperback copy, but it is getting pretty worn. I was delighted to find I could order it here, and in hardback no less! This is one of my favorite books!
on July 10, 2013
My 2 year old daughter now reads this book to her toys/stuffed animals

she immediately grabbed it and walked around with it, and I enjoy reading her the cute story.

She is a curious george fanatic, and its nice to read a book about a dog not a monkey for a change
on July 6, 2013
I took a child's book writing course and our homework assignment was to think back to my childhood and remember my most favorite book. Then I had to write about how it impacted my life as a grownup. I was really surprised as I recalled this book to know that I now own a short haired red dachshund named Sammy! :) Just had to buy this book for my memorabilia in my library!
on December 23, 2015
I loved this book as a child. I had almost forgotten about it until I heard my son-in-law singing a ditty to my grandbaby "Oh I wish I had me a Wiener Dog" I did a search and found the book. I got it for her 2nd birthday. It is still a cute book and I love the illustrations!
on November 21, 1998
This was my very favorite children's book, and as an adult, i still read it at least once every 6 months. it was out of print for a looong time, so kudos to holt for bringing it back. teaches kids that it's ok to look/be a little weird...that weirdness can be a real asset!!! just the best book.