5.0 out of 5 stars works great if you take the correct dosage
Published on February 7, 2010 by R. Hansen

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusion Over Prevacid OTC and By RX
Wow, I had to find out for myself what this 'new' OTC Prevacid was like because of the affordable cost. I bought 3 pkg's at Walmart, thinking that it was "the same" as my prescribed brand name Prevacid I'd been taking for a few years. I have GERD. I need Prevacid because of the many toxic meds I take for severe R.A. In 1990, my primary prescribed Prevacid for...
Published 11 months ago by Sunny711

5.0 out of 5 stars works great if you take the correct dosage, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count (Health and Beauty)
prevacid does work well if you take the correct dosage. I took prevacid by prescription 30mgs and it work wonders on my reflux. Then I stopped taking it and it came back. Doctor put me on acipex, then my health insurance starting charging a 100 dolloar co pay. I started to take prevacid otc, but only took on pill 15mgs. the refux came back in a few days. I looked at the bottle and realized it was half of prescription strength and starting taking two pills. reflux improved after days and no problems since. its not unusual a drug that goes otc to have a lower dosage than when it was available by sript. so if it is not working for you, take two pills at once and you will be taking prescription strength dosage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for Prevacid solutabs, 15mg, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count (Health and Beauty)
Our current prescription copay for the solutab form of Prevacid is $90 per month and insurance pays the rest. Our daughter needs to take Prevacid for acid control as she has GERD. She is 3 years of age now and takes the contents of one capsule twice daily with applesauce or pudding as a base. We save at least $30 per month by purchasing OTC Prevacid without insurance and avoiding the high cost of the solutabs. Our daughter's G.I. specialist gave the approval to switch to this medication form. I hope this information is helpful to other sufferers of GERD or caregivers of children/elderly with this condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since sliced bread, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count (Health and Beauty)
As a long time acid reflux sufferer and a long time consumer of every acid reducing product under the sun, I can say that PrevAcid is the best of the best "for my particular problem". I stress the last part of that statement because with any medication or ANY product for that matter, individual results will vary... and no I'm not a paid actor...haha.

A few years ago, I was forced by my insurance carrier to switch from the prescription version of PrevAcid to their preferred brand which was Nexium. I had excellent results "initially" from Nexium, but over time my bowel movements started becoming very very irregular, to the point of actually ending up in the ER. Since Nexium was the only medication I was taking, it was fairly evident what was causing the problem. I decided it was time to make a switch and I started taking Prilosec OTC. That product also worked well at preventing my acid reflux, but yet again my bowel movements were still not regular even with increasing my fiber intake. Thankfully for me this was right around the time when PrevAcid became available as an OTC product and I could not wait to make the switch. It was the best decision I ever made, because even though the milligrams per dose are essentially half of the prescription version it is just as effective for me and I can happily say that my bathroom routine has returned to its norm.

If you're like me and you have to take an acid reducer on a regular basis then I suggest you also enroll in the Amazon "subscribe & save" renewal program. It saves me money, it's delivered right to my door, and I don't have to worry about accidentally running out of my PrevAcid at the worst possible time. It's even cheaper than buying it on sale at my local grocery store combined with a coupon, so it's a no brainer.

[UPDATE - 6/6/2011]
Unfortunately the subscribe & save price has sky-rocketed recently, so this is no longer the great deal that it once was. We can only hope that Amazon takes notice of how many people are canceling and skipping shipments, and they ultimately bring back the previously great prices. I have skipped several shipments myself and instead opted to buy it from my local grocery store combined with a coupon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take Two, They're Small..., January 27, 2010
I used Nexium until recently, until my insurance up the drug to Tier 1 ($60.00 co-pay). I've tried Prilosec OTC, but like others I've experienced unwanted side-effects (mild cramping, most notably). Recently I tried Prevacid OTC, and at first I was disappointed because it seemed to last only part of the day. So I tried taking it twice a day (somewhat equivalent to the 20mg of Nexium I had been taking once a day), and that works just fine for me. Of course, that also makes it roughly twice as expensive as Prilosec OTC, but I do like the fewer side-effects and it works almost as well as Nexium...

Disclaimer: I am no doctor, so please consult one before exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations :)

5.0 out of 5 stars **MUST HAVE** FOR STOMACH ACID SUFFERERS!!!, March 26, 2013
Years ago, my stomach problems got so bad, I was out of work for 3 months & my stomach/intestinal specialist ran many different tests on me. At the end of it, all she came up with was that I have a 'nervous stomach'-all of my stress went right to my stomach, causing massive acidic fluctuations. She recommended this product. Throughout the years, I have tried to stop taking the Prevacid, but never go longer than a week; the same pain always comes back.
**This is for everyone with constant heartburn**
I have not only felt better overall since taking this small pill once a day, I don't eat near as much as I used to-I have lost just over 90 lbs in the last few years. (my stomach doesn't burn all the time like I'm hungry-so I eat less & ONLY when I am truly hungry!)
I am SO happy this can be bought over-the-counter now; when I started taking it, it was by 'script only. I have no insurance, so this little miracle pill is very easy to find online. I like the prices on amazon & the shipping has always been very fast.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to ANYONE who has *overactive stomach acid, *nervous stomach, *frequent heartburn, etc You will NOT be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price!, May 4, 2011
Great, Great Price! I'm so glad someone told me about ordering from Amazon. Same product that a large shopping chain has, but at a lower price.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, May 16, 2012
great product and fast service. I have tried all the proton pump inhibitors and this is by far the one that works the best. I had to buy it online because all the local drugstores were out. The product was legit and works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver!, March 11, 2010
Sam Jones (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I came down with GERD so badly that I couldn't eat without feeling like I was choking. I lost 40 lbs in a couple months. I took 60mg of prevacid daily and eventually recovered. Don't take too much for too long though, or abdominal pains may occur. I now take 30mg daily without side-effects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prevacid performed as promised!, September 20, 2013
MimiReviews (My Secret Lair) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count (Health and Beauty)
I've suffered from bad heartburn in the past. In fact, I just overcame a very painful bout with a peptic ulcer that took two months to heal and made me feel like I was losing my mind the entire time, so it's safe to say that my journey toward acid relief has been a long, arduous one with many false starts and disappointments. Enter BzzAgent and my chance to try Prevacid 24HR for free.

When I think of heartburn relief, I automatically think "chalk". That's because almost every antacid I've tried has had that nasty, gritty, chalky taste to it that makes you want to gulp down a gallon of water as soon as you take them. Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, you name it and it probably tastes like you're licking an elementary school black board.

Now there are three main types of heartburn relief: antacids, H2 blockers, and PPIs.

Antacids neutralize stomach acid and are the most commonly used over-the-counter medication for heartburn sufferers. These include calcium-based antacids (Tums), magnesium-based antacids (Maalox and Mylanta), and antacids containing aluminum (Rolaids). The main problem with antacids is that they only mask heartburn symptoms temporarily and require larger doses in order to be effective. I've taken up to 15 antacid tablets in a 24 hour period without much success.

H2 blockers reduce acid by blocking the histamine receptor that stimulates acid. They include Pepcid and Zantac, both of which have never worked for me. In fact, H2 blockers seem to affect me in a negative way. I've experienced nausea, constipation, dizziness and sleepiness while using them, which only adds to my stress level and irritation. Taking up to 2 tablets in a 24 hour period is just not worth it if it's only going to make things worse for me.

Prevacid 24HR is a Proton Pump Inhibitor, also known as a PPI. It works differently than antacids and H2 blockers by preventing the acid that causes frequent heartburn from being released, effectively stopping stomach acid at its source.

I decided to test Prevacid 24HR during a family BBQ where the combination of spicy/greasy foods, caffeinated/carbonated beverages, and alcohol are a surefire heartburn cocktail. The bottle is extremely small, which allows for a quick tuck into the pocket or purse of your choice for easy on-the-go access -- a definite plus!

It was hard for me to believe that one tiny pill no bigger than my pinky nail could take the place of 4 nickle-sized chewable tablets, let alone out-perform them over a 24 hour time period. Thankfully, in our advanced society, less sometimes means more and Prevacid 24HR proved that particular meme to be true!

Heartburn relief started within 20 minutes and really did last all night! I experienced absolutely no side effects and was so happy with the results that I ended up sharing my bottle of Prevacid with friends and family members at the BBQ, all of whom experienced the same level of relief that I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prevacid is the Gold Standard for GRD, December 30, 2010
Patrick Cronin (Johnson City, Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count (Health and Beauty)
I've taken Prevacid for over 30 years. My insurance used to pay for it and then a few years back they stopped. I've tried ALL of the other GRD medicines and none of them WORK FOR ME. So when Prevacid went OTC I started buying it again. I had throat cancer in 2001 and it was largely caused by a two pack a day smoking habit (haven't had a cigarette in 28 years now) but it was also acerbated by my GRD and recently I had a scare when I had hoarseness for three weeks. My ENT told me that I am still cancer free but SILENT GRD is causing most of my throat problems and I need to attend to this. So he told me to take 2 Prevacids twice a day (60mgs a day) and to take them before meals. I had been taking one Prevacid at night and he said this was of no use. The Prevacid only works well with meals and only at the 30 mg dose. I urge you to not stint on this as GRD is one of the leading causes of not only esophogial cancer but throat cancer and stomach cancers as well. I'm now ordering the Prevacid by bulk and I'm going back on 4 pllls a day.
Now my son also has GRD and is taking ...I believe Prilosec and is doing fine with it. So I urge all of you to test the different OTCs and take the one that works for you but do not make cost a factor. It is your life.

Prevacid 24HR Caps 42-Count