5.0 out of 5 stars This fitness dvd covers all the bases
Wow, I've done this workout twice and love it. It combines it all, aerobics, strength training with weights and core work (abs).

Published on September 26, 2005 by Cleo

I was excited to do this workout given the other great reviews here. Going into it fully expecting to love it, I was a bit disappointed that it was not more intense.

Published on November 9, 2006 by EJM

5.0 out of 5 stars This fitness dvd covers all the bases, September 26, 2005
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)

It's called 3-2-1 because it has 6 circuits comprised of 3 minutes aerobics, 2 min strength and 1 minute floor work focusing on core and abs. Each circuit has a different theme and works a different body part. Themes include dance type aerobics, tae-bo style kicks and punches, and an absolutely beautiful power yoga sequence near the end.

It's great to get the aerobics and strength and abs all in one 45 minute or so workout and you WILL be sweating and feel you had a great workout by the end unless you take it down a notch. (They do suggest beginner modifications if you are not up to full throttle just yet).

I'm a loyal Prevention mag. reader and that's why I ordered this video and I'm not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating :-), October 25, 2005
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
This is a good dvd. There are six complete circuits - each one has about three minutes of cardio, two minutes of toning and one minute of corework. Chris Freytag's cuing is great and she has just the right amount of enthusiasm to motivate rather than annoy. My favourite cardio section is the Latin dance. Get thos dvd for all levels of fitness. There is one demonstrater that shows you a low impact version if you aren't overly fit yet. I totally recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An overall great workout!, March 8, 2006
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
I was pleasantly surprised with this workout! I was skeptical as to how effective a 3-minute aerobic, 2-minute weights, and 1-minute core workout would be... but it was great! I was sweating, my heart-rate was escalating, and by the end, I felt energized and strong! The instructor is delightful (very encouraging and fun), and the mood and music are upbeat. There are even tips that scroll at the bottom of the screen to help make it the most effective (breathing, positioning techniques, etc.) After the workout, one of the women demonstrates other useful relaxation and massage techniques. I am very happy with this purchase, and will use this circuit often as part of my workout regime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad I let this sit on the shelf for so long!, December 6, 2005
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
Holy moly! This DVD will kick your butt, while it tones your butt. Very clear instructions and lots of variety. 6 circuits = 3 min cardio, 2 min toning, 1 min core. At circuit 3 I was wishing it was over, by circuit 6 I felt so accomplished. This will no longer gather dust on my exercise shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars This workout has it all, March 15, 2006
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
I really like this video, and here's why:

Chris Freytag is a great instructor. She keeps the energy up without being obnoxious or overly peppy.

The variety of the sections is great, different music and moves that are fit to real life exercise (basketball, dancing, etc.). Each section ends on the mat, incorporating abs into all sections so that it is thorough but not overwhelming.

The 3-2-1 format keeps things moving quickly. I dont ever get bored during the workout, and if I get to an exercise that I dont like to do, I know it wont last long and I can stick to it.

Based on this one video alone, I am going to buy more Prevention DVDs and maybe even Chris' own series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, seeing results!!, February 27, 2006
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
I love reading Prevention magazine!! It is always so interesting, entertaining, informative, etc. When I read about the 3-2-1 workout, I was intrigued and wanted to find out more. I read the reviews on Amazon and thought, why not give it a try?! I always feel more energetic when I workout, but because of my busy work schedule, I can't always make it to the gym. I really prefer to workout at home with videos anyway, so now I have no excuse not to get out of bed!!

This is a good workout for your whole body incorporating weights and cardio. The cardio intervals are just long enough to get your heart pumping without leaving you feeling like you will pass out or have an asthma attack. The intervals using hand weights are short and sweet, getting right to the point for those who are bored with weights or just don't like them. And you get a good workout for you abs as well.

I recommend using 2 to 3 lb hand weights for beginners. Work your way up to 5 lb, 8 lb or higher.

I gave my review 4 stars for two reasons. There is no guidance on what weights to use for which exercises. In my experience (granted it is not much!), I feel one could strain his or her back/shoulders using too heavy a weight. Use your best judgement knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Also, I dislike the cool down routine. I feel it is too short and some of the moves put some strain on the knees. If you agree, just do what I do. I repeat the warm up at the end of the workout instead of doing the cool down.

Overall, I recommend this workout for those who want to increase their physical fitness, build muscle tone, or just look and feel better. Enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as intense as I expected - we'll see if it gets better, November 9, 2006
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)

I like the idea of the "circuit training" aspect, but unfortunately there was too much time in between each piece, and I felt that my heartrate dropped back to normal after each section. I thought the whole point of circuit training was to keep your heartrate up the entire time while moving continuously with very little pause between one exercise and the next? This DVD had too much time in between for the "graphics" showing what was coming up in the next section (assuming this is because the DVD is intended to be viewable as a complete 49 minute workout session or as individual sessions targeted for each body area if you have less time).

The workout runs as follows: Each body part is targeted in its own circuit - Six complete circuits - and each one has three minutes of cardio, two minutes of toning and one minute of corework (abs). The toning sections are each individually targeted: legs, chest, butt, back, arms and shoulders. Sounds good, right? In theory!

On a positive note, I DID find that this 49 minute workout seemed to go very quickly - not sure if that was because of how the format was much less repetitive than most workouts (each section is different, with different music and exercises), or whether it felt quick because it just wasn't vigorous enough to make me feel like I had done anything too difficult or strenuous by the time it was over.

I am NOT really at an advanced or intermediate level as far as working out goes, and I am definitely used to more sweating and moving than I got from this workout. I'm going to give it a few more run-throughs (a week or so, once a day) to see if I end up liking it better. (Everyone else who reviewed it here seemed to, so I am thinking I'm missing something and will glady give it another chance!) We'll also see if it passes the true test and produces results: weight loss and increased fitness level.

I'll report back after a bit more of a trial period. Stay tuned....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!, October 11, 2005
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
Great production quality on this dvd. Bright set, good music, and excellent instruction. Chris Frytag had perfect cuing which made the workout very doable. There was a great deal of variety in this workout and my muscles were challenged. A perfect intermediate level cardio and toning workout. Good job Prevention magazine!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all around workout, August 15, 2009
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
This is my favorite all around workout DVD. I enjoy a variety--from hula to kickboxing, but this is the one I recommend to those who ask me what first exercise DVD to buy. It has a great balance of different types of exercise and best of all, everytime you think you don't want to go on--because of being tired or bored--it switches. The segments are bite size and it's easy to convince yourself that you can do just one more. Highly recommended. I wish Prevention would make more of these 3-2-1 workouts on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent interval workout, October 11, 2009
This review is from: Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout (DVD)
I admit, years ago, I couldn't warm up to Chris Freytag. I was too stuck on Cathe and didn't give her a fair chance. However, recently, I'm discovering that she has indeed some really good, challenging and fun workouts that make very good use of your time and this is one of those. I completely disagree with some of the reviewers here that say it's for beginners. While a beginner can modify the moves, overall this is an intermediate workout that gives you very good cardio and weights intervals. To make it harder for me, I used 10 to 12 lb. dumbbells and sometimes added a few more compound moves and high impact to this routine and got an awesome challenging workout. Time just flew by and it felt great.

Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout
Prevention Fitness Systems: 3-2-1 Workout by Andrea Ambandos (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01