Published on May 19, 2012 by Noni Fro

2.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
Unfortunately, I have to agree with some of the posters giving this book 1-2 stars.

Published on September 9, 2011 by RomanceWriter

2.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Hardcover)

I pre-ordered this book, paid full price AND shipping, and eagerly waited for it to arrive in my mailbox. I was prepared to sit up all night long with a great Linda Howard book ... I went to bed at 10:30. I ended up skipping page after page of endless, mindless detail about every single tiny little thought that went through every single character's mind every single second of the entire freakin' day. Despite the fact that there were probably only 10 to 15 lines of actual dialogue by this point, I knew by page 88 what was going to happen, and I was right. And - what's up with giving valuable page time to the thoughts of the BEAR?!?

The main characters were well written, I'll say that, even though I agree with another poster who said that too much time was given to the thoughts and motivations of the killer (both of them, actually). While it's important to understand the background of the villians, there were times I wondered just whose story this was, Angie's or the villian's?

The sex scenes were just okay, which is how I'd rate this book - just okay. I own almost every single Linda Howard book, and will absolutely purchase her work in the future, because I know I can (usually) count on her for a good, solid romantic suspense story. In my opinion, this is not one of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars Better than I expected, less than I hoped for., September 8, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is definitely one of Linda Howard's best efforts in a long time and better, in my opinion, than Veil of Night. The plot is solid and I really enjoyed the premise and humor of it, even with the synopsis including a murderer AND a killer bear in the picture, but the way the story is told, the drawn out pacing and unfortunately, the sensuality, were lacking for me.

Angie Powell, 32, is a hunting and nature guide in rural Montana. Since the death of her father, she's been managing the family business, however, for the past two years, business has been slowly declining due to stiff competition and she finds that she's not going to be able to handle the mortgage. After signing the papers to sell her family home, she immediately runs into Dare Callahan, the bane of her existence, and the reason she's forced to move. Dare, 37, is a recently returned war veteran who set up his own shop for hunting and nature guides, and naturally being a strong rugged man, is seen as more capable in the hunting genre than she. Even though Angie hates everything about Dare, she can't help but remember the initial spark between them upon first meeting. For Dare, no one spikes his blood pressure like Angie does. He's asked her out twice and turned down both times, but for some reason, he hasn't given up that there might be something between them. When Angie prepares for her last customer hunting adventure of the season, and possibly the last ever in her hometown, her father's best friend, Harlan, asks Dare to watch over her. Dare can't believe he's actually considering it, but as a military veteran, he can't denounce Harlan's instincts so he agrees to go to the mountains under the guise of fishing. Needless to say, it's a good thing he was close by, because Angie's hunting trip turns into the worst nightmare imaginable when one of her customers turns out to be a murderer who needs to eliminate the only witness, Angie. As she's trying to escape, no sooner does a black bear appear who's acquired a taste for human meat. Although the distraction saves her from a bullet, it does not stop the likelihood of her imminent death by mauling, so Angie ends up fleeing on foot and injured from both a murderer with a gun and a bear on a warpath.

One of the my biggest issues with Ms. Howard's later books is that the characters, both goods guys and villains, spend a lot of time in reflective thought about their lives, their feelings and their motivations. Quite frankly, I could care less what a villain's feelings are and much prefer dialogue and interaction between hero and heroine. Unfortunately, she starts the first hundred or more pages exactly this way and I almost threw my kindle across the room when we got a few pages from the point of view of the bear... yes, the observations of a bear! Around the halfway point, she pulls Angie and Dare together and although they spend the remainder of the book in close contact, they're mostly dead on their feet and not increasing the sexual tension factor. When Angie and Dare engage in dialogue, it is witty and fresh, and they have all the ingredients for great chemistry, but the execution of it fell a little flat. Although not a bad read, I think this book would have been much better if Angie and Dare were brought together much sooner to see the sparks fly. That and I think Ms. Howard took a few liberties with the bear. Black bears are known to attack if hungry, but are very territorial over their food. This was a killer bear who was definitely not hungry and leaving a trail of half uneaten bodies.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Bear Wouldn't Be That Bad, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Except as it turns out, bears really don't have that much to say other than "Food!" Which might be accurate enough, I couldn't say as I've never met a bear, but it really doesn't make for that great of page time in a novel.

Angie. Wilderness Guide. Now don't get me wrong, I think females in tough occupations rock. The problem here is that Angie is about as ill suited for the job of "Wilderness Hunting Guide" as she could possibly get. She's terrified that a bear is going to eat her, terrified one of her clients is going to assault her, and really .... just plain fretful. So what the reader ends up with is pages of internal agony over all the bad things that are happening to her business and all the bad things that could happen to her out on those mountains. "Why couldn't they want to hunt elk?" Angie asks. Which really confuses me. Do bears on the mountain have a tacit agreement not to try and eat you if you've declared yourself an elk hunter? Anyway, other than finding a partner to help her out a little with some of the more dangerous side of her business, about the best thing that could happen to Angie is that she get to sell her business and then she could set up a nice craft shop or run an inn or something. She's a Linda Howard heroine so her cooking is da bomb.

Dare. Good guy. He thinks Angie is hot but unfortunately he has inadvertently ruined her business by moving into the area and being better at it. Ooopsie. Still, he ... well only hesitates a little ... when a mutual friend asks him to run up the mountain and keep an eye on Angie because there is a bad feeling all around about this last job she's on. Yeah, Dare cusses way too much but he'll be good to Angie if he ever gets the chance. That's about what we take from him.

So it takes nearly 1/2 the book to get to that point. No kidding. For the first half of the book the entire contact between Angie and Dare is one brief meeting in a parking lot where the growl and snipe at each other. Which would be okay except the second half of the book plays out in a manner which is totally predictable from the first couple of chapters. So the clients have a fuss with each other, the bear does his thing, and Angie and Dare are on the run. Except not. They really just hole up in Dare's camp cabin together until the rain stops and then they start to walk down the mountain, followed by the bad guy and the bear.

I'm really not sure where I'd rate this one on a Linda Howard scale but nowhere near the top. The characters are likeable enough (except the bad guy and the bear) but they are also just, there. Angie sprains her ankle and Dare carries her. They eat. They make coffee. They use the outhouse. They have sex because what else are you going to do when it's raining and your holed up in a camp cabin? Nothing really pops as memorable (other than a description of what a bear can do to your intestines) and it was kind of hard to want to finish it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed! Boring!, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Before I start this review, let me just say this: Most of the time, I only rate books when they are a 1 star or 5 star. I only take the time to write reviews when feel either strongly positive or negative about a book. With this one, it was strongly negative. The main reason is because I'm a romance reader. I LOVE romance. There are some people who just want a good story or a good suspense, but for me for a book to be good and enjoyable, I need some romance & chemistry......

Anyway, up until now, Linda Howard has been my favorite author. I knew when I picked up a Linda Howard book, I'd be getting a story full of romance, chemistry, HOT attraction, AND a really good story; probably a suspense. So, I was coming into this book with great expectations. The date of Sept 6 has been circled on my calendar for months waiting for this once-a-year treasure, and then THIS book is what I got. I almost started wondering if someone else wrote this book and put Linda Howard's name on it. What happened to the all-night page turner romance, sizzle, and suspense???

This book is filled mostly with the most mundane and tedious things. Eighty percent of this book could have been left out. So much time was spent describing mud, horses, mountains and very little on character building or development of the two main characters attraction. For the first 30-40% of the book, the characters had only one small interaction together outside of the realtor's office. I was reading on a kindle, and I had to skip past so much mundane "page fillers." Almost wonder if she simply had to fulfill a certain amount of words for this book and just about bored us to death with too many descriptions of rain, mud, horses, etc.

There was absolutely NO suspense on who the bad guys are. Those were clearly spelled out from the beginning. No surprises there.

With most of Linda's books, I read and re-read them over and over again because they are wonderful books that have so many facets to them. This book will be filed away as something I never want to read again.....it was just too torturous the first time to get through.

I sometimes wonder if Linda Howard has forgotten who her base readers are: Romance readers!! Yes, we do want the hot sexy scenes, but they come out really bland if you haven't built up to it correctly with lots of chemistry and personality. This book had sex scenes but they just seemed bland to me. Very bland.....and I think it was simply because she didn't lead us more into their initial attractions and spark that brought them to that point. Saying he's been lusting after her for 2 year isn't enough.

Sorry :(

Even though this book was absolutely horrible with no spark or sizzle or romance, I WILL buy Linda's books again the future in hopes that the Linda Howard books we all know and love will return. Maybe next time, though, I might check out from the library or something so that I don't spend any money until I know if it's boring like this one or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars a plot repeated, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This is only the third review I have ever written, but felt compelled after reading several of the reviews that have been submitted. As I began to read the book, I kept thinking the plot was familiar. The more I continued, the more the book reminded me of ICE, also by Linda Howard. Two people on the run, and nature is one of the protagonists. In ICE, it was the weather; in Prey, it was also the weather, and a black bear was added to the mix. Come on, how often do authors need to re-work plot lines? ICE was a disappointing read and Veil was more entertaining, but nowhere near Howard's best. Where are her famous stories? Howard took so long to release this book, I was hopeful the wait was worth it. I agree with the reviews that indicated a disappointing read. I believe the positive reviews were submitted by the Publisher or those who are paid to do so. Or, the readers who enjoyed the book have not read Howard's previous works. I will be very reluctant to buy books written by Howard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Up Close and Dangerous: Montana version, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Hardcover)
Below is the Amazon Product Description for Linda Howard's Up Close and Dangerous: A Novel. It is the SAME description for Prey.

"smoldering attraction . . . and a deadly game of cat and mouse"/"Stranded in the wilderness, and struggling to douse her feelings for the ruggedly handsome man by her side...",/ "Cut off from the world, and with little hope of rescue, Bailey (Angie in Prey) must trust her life-and heart-to Cam (Dare in Prey), as they battle the harsh elements to find a way out of the unforgiving wilds and back to civilization . . . where a killer may be waiting to finish the job."

Why stop there? Here is the Amazon Product Description for Ice: A Novel.
"A battle for survival against an unforgiving winter-and an unrelenting killer" /... (In the) "winter woods".
In Prey there is an unforgiving rain and an unrelenting (but stupid) killer.

This is not an original story unless you count the bear. A bonus in Prey is that the reader will learn how a bear views his prey. I still don't know exactly what the villain was all about. I probably zoned out because the story was too heavy on descriptions and narration. There wasn't enough dialogue among the characters.

The only thing good about the past few Linda Howard books are the covers. That makes me a sad Linda Howard reader, but I'm not giving up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, definitely NOT her best, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Hardcover)
I've been a Linda Howard fan for years and was more than a bit disappointed in this book. It's obvious from her writing that she hasn't been to Montana, or if she did it was a cursory visit. More like her information was from watching specials on the Discovery Channel. Also, I'm not a prude, but I got really tired of the language in the book. I'd really like people to know that those of us in Montana know and use more than one word.

Also, November in Montana??? Even a "mild" November in the mountains would be 0 to 20* No way would it be warm enough for a thunder storm and if it DID rain the characters would be dealing with an ice covered mountain. Her topography is all wrong, the Butte area doesn't have the mountains she's describing or Tamaracks, those are west of the Divide.

Next time reach out to your readers and find out what life and country are like in their state if you are going to use it as a setting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Prey...for a better book, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I've been a fan of Linda Howard's for quite a few years and rarely been disappointed, but Prey is hugely disappointing. The best character in the story is the bear. The two main characters, Dare and Angie have no real depth and there is no suspense in the story. There are some good parts in the book and you do get to know something about the characters but it is not enough to make a satisfying read. The story is just not there. I will have to be content with her next effort and hope that it is better then Prey

4.0 out of 5 stars A killer bear, and an Alpha hero, what's not to love about this book?, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
First I would like to say that I'm so glad I didn't go to Amazon and read the reviews before I got this book. Wow, some pretty low star reviews out there. I actually really liked this book and couldn't put it down. Some reviewers had a problem that Howard wrote some paragraphs in the killer's and bear's POV. I loved this! It put me in the killer's mind set and made the story more intense. I'm not a big Romantic Suspense fan, but Howard's books have always been hits with me.

The other aspect that I loved about this book was that during most of it the H/H are stranded together in the woods. Stranded plot lines are so fun to read and usually have lots of character development.

One more plus about this book - the Hero and Heroine. He is a roughed, military hunting alpha of a man. Yep, that should be enough said about him, Dare Callahan is the modern day Alpha male. I liked how Howard made the Heroine a outdoors tomboy but still gave her a sexiness about her that I could relate to. Plus she wasn't as tough as nails as I thought she would be and had a tenderness about her that I loved.

Prey is not my favorite Linda Howard book - but it's still a great read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Formulaic, September 23, 2011
A. Lund (Carolina, PR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prey: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Never thought I would describe a Linda Howard book as boring. This book, however, is probably her most boring and formulaic book of all. Pages and pages of internal dialog that kept repeating and repeating the same thoughts over and over. I don't know what has happened to my beloved Linda Howard. I think the pod people took over her body and are cranking out the same boring books, one after another, which would account as to why her last 4 books have been so bad. Yet, I still keep on buying them in the hope that a winner will be out there, like the Linda Howard of old. Am I a masochist?

Prey: A Novel
Prey: A Novel by Linda Howard (Mass Market Paperback - April 24, 2012)
$7.99 $7.19