Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2011 9:16:37 AM PDT
Karen says:
I love the series and have 20 in hardcover and U in ebook. Why is the price only 53cents less than hard cover. I will wait for the library copy before I pay $15 for an ebook.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 10:59:32 AM PDT
Angela says:
Agreed, this price is outrageous for an ebook.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 2:05:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 8:12:31 PM PDT
Contact the publisher because they are setting these ridiculous prices. On many news interviews they openly admitted to wanting to terminate the ebook format all together and pricing is their first step.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 8:32:56 AM PDT
I think that is a disastrous decision. Book stores are closing their doors due to the rise in ebooks. Step into the 21st Century and allow the readers to enjoy reading electronically. I usually try to keep the price of the books I purchase under $10 and even that is pretty steep. Publishers need to listen to the demand of the public.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 5:46:54 PM PDT
Amy Lou says:
I agree, the price is at least $5 too high for an ebook format. There is very little cost to recover for publishing in this format...why would they want to keep us from buying it in order to PRINT more books at almost the same price. I'm confused. To Kill more trees and clutter up our homes with more books that we wont ever read again? Most likely its plain and simple GREED on the publishers part thinking we will make the purchase anyway and they will make even more money without it costing them much of anything to publish it! Im not that desperate for reading material....I will at least wait for the cost to go down for the kindle edition.

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:03:02 AM PDT
I 'm very offended by Amazon's attitude in the pricing of their Kindle books. I looked at a number of book titles today for my Kindle. My husband and I have bought MANY books from Amazon for a number of years, but I can tell you that we aren't buying very many any more, simply because the prices are so outrageously high. Even though I've perused many titles today, I'm not buying ANY. I can't believe that Amazon thinks they're justified in charging this much for an e-book, when the cost to them is so much less than dealing with a hardback book.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 7:27:45 PM PDT
I'm sad that my Kindle will be used other places for other things. Bye bye high prices. Hello, Library!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 7:30:33 PM PDT
If I went back and actually added up my Kindle purchases I think I'd gag, but I used to buy them for the same reasons so many did: I wanted to read the book, my library doesn't manage their waiting list well, and heaven knows I have no more space for books in my house. If Amazon went back and added up your purchases AND mine, and all the rest of us who can't buy new releases anymore, I wonder if they might put a little pressure on?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 8:15:34 PM PDT
Actually, the main reason I buy the Kindle books is that I have severe diabetic retinopathy, and it's so difficult for me to read that it takes forever. The Kindle makes it so much easier for me to read, because I can enlarge the type. However, it doesn't help if I can't afford the books. They're essentially adding to my handicap. I hope they're satisfied, because I'm certainly not happy about it. I really believe that they would have a much better profit margin if their prices were more reasonable.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 7:39:21 PM PDT
S. McQuitty says:
I too started because of a medical issue. I had shoulder surgery and couldn't move my arm for six weeks. Reading one handed was a Godsend. I do think this price is too high though, even for a new e-book. I've also stopped counting my kindle purchases. WAY too depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 4:32:46 PM PDT
serendipity says:
I completely agree. It's just so easy to hit 'click to my kindle' and then see the amounts add up later. But when I bought my kindle most books [even the hardbacks] seemed to run around $9 or $10, and now it might be cheaper to buy the hard copy from Costco. If I knew I was saving trees I'd feel better about it, but I don't think ebooks really help our environment yet.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 6:23:19 AM PDT
Mari says:
I dearly love Kinsey and all the previous books but I won't be reading the new book for a long time, alas. Probably not until "W" comes out because I will be damned if I spend $15 on an ebook. I clearly understand the reasoning behind what the publishers are doing but they will be shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. I live out of the country where there are no libraries and books are very expensive. I have come to rely on my Kindle for my reading. Too bad for me where some books are concerned. I will be back in the States next year. I'll bet my local library will have "V" there. Then I will be able to read it and the publisher won't make a dime off me!!! Here's a one finger salute to you, pulisher!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 11:36:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2011 11:40:34 AM PDT
The problem is that the STUPID publishers are so afraid they're going to lose money, but they're not thinking ahead. They have almost no overhead with eBooks, since there are NO printing costs involved, but they still expect to charge the same amount of money per book. The publishers are so blind that they're not seeing that their profit margin has increased exponentially. In addition, there is no way currently to "loan" someone a book, so all those people who were reading borrowed books are now having to buy the book if they want to read it, so their sales numbers have increased, as well. If the publishers lower the price a few dollars, they will sell so many more books that their profit margin will still be much greater than with the printed word. I also blame Amazon, though, because, in my opinion, they're not putting NEARLY enough (if any) pressure on the publishers to change their ways. eBooks may be the future, but it will be a future in which only the wealthy can afford to read. Do we really want to live in that kind of society?

Martha

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 9:18:31 AM PDT
I purchased my first hardcover book since buying a Kindle2 when they first came out, this past weekend, at Costco. I bought the Steve Jobs book. The Kindle price was just over the moon too high. I'm very disappointed in the prices on ebooks, and the library solution isn't much better, as their selection is poor. The publishers are going to greed themselves right out of business. I now only get amazon books that are older and under $5 each. My personal limit for a new book is $9.99 and you can't get many of those anymore. The publishers are worried about bootlegging, do they really think that high prices are going to help with that??

Definitely thinking that e-books are going to be only for the wealthy. Disappointing, as I read upwards of 100 books a year.... I've also found that the e-book versions are not edited as well as the hardcopy books. What is up with that? Crazy stuff. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 11:37:34 AM PDT
I absolutely agree with everything you've said. What the publishers don't seem to realize is that they have an opportunity to make an exponentially larger profit with ebooks than with printed books, since they are completely eliminating printing and shipping costs. But I also blame Amazon, because they are in a position to put pressure on the publishers regarding this issue, and they aren't. I am very impressed with what I have seen of the Amazon Fire, but as long as they are not helping with the prices of ebooks, I won't even consider the Fire as an option. Amazon and the publishers are both cutting their own throats.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 9:36:22 AM PDT
kellyless says:
Now that I have a tablet to replace my Kindle I'm going shopping for the best e-book deals I can find. The price IS ridiculous, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in thinking that.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 9:36:52 AM PDT
kellyless says:
Now that I have an Android tablet to replace my Kindle I'm going shopping for the best e-book deals I can find. The price IS ridiculous, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in thinking that.

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 5:10:05 AM PDT
I want to be able to sell my kindle books as soon as I read them. I just checked Penguin books and they don't have a easy way to contact them for customer support and complaints. Will someone post the link?

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 7:49:50 AM PDT
D. Campbell says:
The whole idea of buying and using a Kindle was to save money on new releases. This seemed to be true at first but as this title proves, it's just too much for the electronic edition

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 10:12:34 AM PST
K. Wagner says:
53 cents less then the hardcover? I checked, the dust jacket says $27.95 plus sales tax. That is what you would have to pay for the hardback at an independent bookstore or an airport bookstore. The kindle version is almost 50% less and there is no drive to the bookstore. There is also instant delivery with the Kindle purchase, buy and start reading in a minute. Otherwise wait for the paperback. We have become so spoiled by Amazon's heavily discounted hardbacks that we don't even look at the dust jacket price until we enter a small, local, independent bookstore and go into shock at the prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 6:00:33 PM PST
Yes, but do I have to say it again? When you buy a Kindle edition, there are NO printing costs and NO shipping costs!!!!! Do YOU understand that the Kindle editions cost more than the PAPERBACK editions? What sense does THAT make?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 7:22:29 PM PST
Claire S. says:
I have purchased this series completely, but I stop here. I won't pay this kind of money for an e-book. I can buy the hardback and loan it to a friend. That cuts the price in half. Grafton is not worth this price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 8:44:00 AM PST
D. Campbell says:
The original Kindle ads stated that most titles are under $10.00. I didn't expect this to be true for everything but as previously stated, this is just too much to pay.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 10:00:08 AM PST
I agree as well that it is too high (for me) and will wait till it comes down in price. I realize there is the convenience factor with the e books but at least if I spend $15+ on an actual hardcover I can lend to a friend, sell it, or donate it and get some additional use out of the book.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:01:09 AM PST
PJ says:
I've read every book in the series but I won't read this one until the price of the ebook comes down significantly. You'd think they'd learn something from the music industry. They didn't make money until the price of single went down to 99 cents.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa0738c90)

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
V is for Vengeance (KINSEY MILLHONE MYSTERY)
V is for Vengeance (KINSEY MILLHONE MYSTERY) by Sue Grafton
4.3 out of 5 stars   (894)