Customer Discussions > Diablo III - PC/Mac forum

Price Will Drop Fast. Very Fast.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 451 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2012 3:04:25 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
DIABLO II still sells for around $20 whereas that is also the price for the original DIABLO as well. Because they were great games with tons of replayability value. Not so much with D3.

No matter all the built up anticipation and the hype and the fawning professional reviews, the game (with all its hidden and so hidden shortcomings) managed to disappoint more than half the gamers who bought it.

D3 is overpriced as both the quality of its gameplay and the fact that one pays to buy yet he is only allows to play it on Blizzards' servers - and IF and WHENEVER they feel like it.

The Market will certainly correct this. There is no way D3 will keep the $60 price tag for long. I am predicting $40 by August and $20 the days following Christmas.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 3:55:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 7, 2012 9:06:21 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 4:13:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 4:14:06 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 7:17:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 7:29:09 AM PDT
Kruger says:
You mean, like Star Craft 2 dropped fast in price?

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty 2 years later, @ $53.98. EGAD!! That's a .25 cent drop per month, over 24 months!! Blizzard must be ready to file for bankruptcy!!!

"The Market will certainly correct this." You mean, the same market that bought 6.3 million copies? This is the market that will demand a price drop?

What's next guy? Hoping space aliens invade Earth and enslave/kill only those who created and support Diablo 3? I have never seen such a delusional hate on,... for anything. Ever.

You people have lost your minds. There isn't anything logical for you hate on this game. You can indeed state; "I do not like Diablo 3 - ciao!" But, you 'come back' with some of the worst and irrational reasons and wishes/hopes for this games' fall and demise.

It's like your emotions have made you hysterical. I admit, it IS funny. But, if you spend your time spewing hate, for something you yourself have bought and frankly enjoy, well,.. then that's down right sad.

Or, if you think that your negativity will somehow topple Blizzard,... then it's bat-poop insane sad.

And, if you think that your negativity will somehow ruin 6.3 million player's experience,... well, you are just one level intelligent below pig pen poop,... and flipping crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 8:45:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 8:48:28 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
Was StarCraft 2 as screwed up as D3?

SC2 did NOT:
- have an always-online requirement.
- suffer from oversimplification and dumbing down
- steer the gamer towards paying real money for virtual items
- make you regret the moment you bought it while waiting for the servers to ALLOW you to use it

The Witcher II sold about 2 million. And almost everyone who bought it recommends to it to their friends.
Recommending D3 to friends is not what we are seeing all over the internet, is it?

It boils down to this: when trying to pull a fast one, you can fool some people for a while but you cannot fool everyone for ever.

The CEOs makings these idiotic decisions do not care whether they are running the gaming industry to the ground by alienating their core customers for ever only to rake in some fast cash now.
By then they will have grabbed their fat bonuses and run away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:07:03 AM PDT
Kruger says:
"It boils down to this: when trying to pull a fast one, you can fool some people for a while but you cannot fool everyone for ever."

You need to re-read your OP. You stated that by the end of this year, Diablo 3 will be $20. That is not the case. And, even with Star Craft 2 being screwed up - it still hasn't dropped in price, at the rate you wish it would.

"Recommending D3 to friends is not what we are seeing all over the internet, is it?"
So, 6.3 million copies is not 'good enough'. Hey, when they hit 8 or 10 million, will it sill not be good enough?

I understand that Blizzard took your baby, and they must pay for it. But, you must realize, Diablo 3 is a run away hit. It is the best pre-ordered PC game of all time. It sold 6.3 million. Whatever you wish on Blizzard, does not apply. Nor, will it ever.

Even the reviewers are giving it great scores. The only people who are not being realistic are folks like you. So, Diablo 3 sold millions, the critics love it - yet the "internet" doesn't like it. How is that a failure? Blizzard already has it's money. It's over.

You are impotent. Stop pretending you have somehow called and predicted Blizzard demise - it's not going to happen. And, you can even look at World of Warcraft. It's decline meant 2 million lost subscribers. Now down to 10 million?

Ooooooh, the consumer base sure is showing Blizzard how badly they don't like their "idiotic decisions".

Get over yourself snowflake.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:32:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 10:36:03 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
It is never how many units you sell. It is how much you make as profit.

I believe it costs about 100,000-200,000 per employee, per year to develop a game.
So, 50 people (and I am not counting you and CHOSEN ONE, JIM) times 150,000 for 12 years, that is about ...90,000,000.

And that is not factoring in printing, boxing, shipping, storing and retailing.
That is not factoring in marketing and wining-&-dining members of the gaming press.
That is not factoring in the cost of setting up and maintaining servers all over the world.

So now I know I am low-balling when I am guessing the game cost about 120 to 150 million.
ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD nets, what, 6-8$ per unit? You guys have not even broke even yet.

Now, those 6.3 million seem pretty insignificant, don't they.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:45:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 10:51:37 AM PDT
Kruger says:
:-)

Awww, you are downplaying millions of copies sold. How cute!

So, you do indeed believe sales mean nothing. Great. But, I am sure you would be the 1st to scream how important they are if Diablo 3 sold 200,000 copies only - and get all aroused over how much of a failure of a game it is,... due to,.. sales!

Also, since they stand to lose so much gosh der ding dong money from just $60 a copy,... why would they drop the price down to $20 so quickly?

No. Wait - don't bother answering that! I know the answer already; your baby, Blizzard took your baby.

Listen Lindy Chamberlain, you need to calm down. We will find the Blizzard who took your baby.

Oh! Missed this gem; "You guys have not even broke even yet."
Actually, we have and then some. Bobby and I bought a few Eastern European women last week. We had enough to get a Dozens Discount, each!! Thanks fans! From Bobby and I! You really helped us achieve our true dreams; using suckers like you to buy hot Eastern European women - by the dozens! Now, save your money for the expansion pack, Bobby and I want to fly to the moon and carve our names on the surface.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 10:51:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 11:01:10 AM PDT
wutai012 says:
At cost, games are roughly ~$20. Take that amount times 6.3 million (although some of these figures include sales through the WOW deal) and you have about $126 million (This is paying all the expenses incurred from the production of the game). Which comes in at the bottom of your estimated game cost figure. Also, those who bought the game directly off of Blizzard's site, realized a huge profit increase for Blizzard. No packaging fees, although site maintenance fees, and the amount of profit a retailer would have received ($8-$12 per copy). It would be safe to assume that Blizzard has broken even or is close to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 11:00:36 AM PDT
Kruger says:
Also, the WoW incentive program; sign up for 1 year of WoW and you get Diablo 3 "free".

This game has made more money than anything out there. And, with the RMAH, they are carving out the gold/item sellers and taking a vig for themselves.

I admit, I am jealous of such sharp business thinking and practices, but, I can't hate on them for being too stupid (myself) to come up with something like this on my own.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:04:17 AM PDT
wutai012 says:
Also NeuroSplicer, I must lol because net = profit. Saying that Blizzard nets $6-8 per game is saying that they are making money off of the game. Expenses are paid, profits are being paid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 11:12:47 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
"...nets $6-8 per game" means out of the price of $60, only $6-8 return back to ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD to start filling up for the huge development hole they dug themselves into.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 12:49:48 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
Title should say Will NOT drop in price anytime soon.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:28:42 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
It depends on how many sold through Blizzard directly those are pure profit, and i bet atleast a couple million came from that.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 5:26:34 AM PDT
Actually Diablo II is 10$ on Blizzard's Store. As is LoD.

but looking at SC2 it's still the price it was when it was released so... guessing Diablo 3's price won't drop. blizzard can do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 9:50:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 9:50:26 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
"Netting" $6-8 per game in profit (pure speculation mind you) means the after cost profit, not grossing after immediate expenses.

Even if they only made $6 off the 6.3 million copies sold in the fist 7 days, that's still a profit of $37.8 million. No only is that a great week to put on any Video Game developers' books, it's a great lifetime figure for most titles, period.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 10:27:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 11:01:14 PM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
In the meantime, the conglomerate (VIVENDI) that owns ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD is looking into how to get rid of them. The sooner , the better.
((( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/wow-vivendi-may-be-looking-to-sell-activision-blizzard/ )))

You could say that ...BLIZZARD itself is already on sale.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:00:58 AM PDT
Their loss

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:16:18 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:25:03 AM PDT
David Sorsby says:
It would mean you would look like an idiot if you tried to say people didn't enjoy weed.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 10:42:34 AM PDT
coasteryder says:
No way is D3 going to drop in price fast. Blizzard games stay high priced for an insane amount of time. You might find a deal here and there, but the standard price will take a long time to drop. This is coming from a person who has tried to wait out other Blizzard games in the past, only ending up paying full price a year or two after the game's release.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:55:54 PM PDT
"the game (with all its hidden and so hidden shortcomings) managed to disappoint more than half the gamers who bought it."

Please cite a source.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:00:39 PM PDT
This game was not in development for twelve years. And not everyone of the dev team is making $100K or more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:03:59 PM PDT
If I had a majority stake in Acti-Blizz, I might consider selling it as well. And then I'd retire on a nice island somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 1:16:11 PM PDT
According to you, StarCraft 2 had an always-online requirement.

http://www.amazon.com/Bought-Starcraft-Always-OnLine-Hassle-Trouble/forum/Fx214Z0775SOGWI/Tx197SNI1PK2GQN/1/ref=cm_cd_NOREF?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00178630A&cdItems=25&cdSort=oldest&store=generic#Mx3W1HXSRVV0V83
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Diablo III - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  451
Initial post:  Jun 3, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Diablo III - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.4 out of 5 stars   (3,762)