100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 93 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 7:06:14 AM PST
Cathie says:
Since when has King over-priced his Kindle editions? I've read everything of his, but will not purchase this one for Kindle unless the price comes down.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 7:28:36 PM PST
sumhuts says:
I agree. Only $3.00 less than hard cover. Really!

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 7:48:39 AM PST
this is ridiculous that the prices on Kindle are almost as much as the books!!! What about the fact that there is like no cost involved in wireless download? This is definitely price gouging. Do not like being taken for granted as a customer !!!

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:44:14 AM PDT
price gouging is illegal, what King's publisher is doing is simply trying to maximize their profit. I don't have a problem paying $15 for a book that's over 1,000 pages, and I'm sure a lot of other King fans won't either. If his publisher decides they're not making as much money as they could at the $15 price point, I'm sure they'll lower it. Just like with any other item, especially luxury items the price will ultimately be determined by what the market will bear.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:45:13 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 1:39:32 PM PDT
The Tool Man says:
One of the selling points on purchasing a Kindle, at least in our family (who have three), is that the book purchases were lower than a physical copy. To that end, the initial outlay would eventually be offset. To place the Kindle price close to the physical price, then what was the advantage to moving to a virtual copy of the book? I could easily go back to putting them on my shelf where my King collection looks so grand.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 3:23:13 PM PDT
Debra says:
If you wait until it comes out in paperback it will be $9.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 3:24:22 PM PDT
Debra says:
I'm so anal I will probably buy it in hardcover and Kindle formats.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 5:39:26 PM PDT
Rob Stauffer says:
I find the plot incredibly intriguing, but I have to agree that the price is too high. Asking that much for a digital work of fiction that I'm only going to read once is insane.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 1:49:45 PM PDT
I am not going to pay $17 for an e-book. I will wait a year to get it from the library if I have to, and the publisher gets nothing.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 12:09:35 PM PDT
I am continually flaberghasted by how stupid major industries are. These sorts of prices are just begging people to pirate books they once would have bought without a second thought. Very foolish. I will just get it at the library.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 9:13:19 AM PDT
I already preordered it...it's stephen king...price is ok for me.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 11:04:59 AM PDT
I pre-ordered as well - $17 for a book that is 960 pages and will likely take me a week or so to read...or spend nearly the same much and go see a movie that will last 2 hours...the book wins

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 7:09:58 AM PDT
The publisher does not have to pay for printing and binding, storage, shipping and probably several other costs that I have no idea about for an electronic copy of a book but they want to charge just a few dollars less than the physical copy? I'm sorry but I will not pay this. I don't care if it is my favorite author, I won't buy any more of his books if I am continually ripped off. The hard back copy is only $1.42 more than the kindle version today. This is a total rip-off. I'm beginning to regret having bought a kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 1:47:56 AM PDT
A. says:
The time it takes to read a book versus the time it takes to watch a movie doesn't justify the price. However whether a smart decision or not, I think the publisher can charge whatever the hell they want. If you don't agree with the price don't buy it. If you want to get back at the publisher rent it from a library or borrow it from a friend. That will show 'em.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 11:37:20 AM PDT
L. Petree says:
Are you kidding? So, we the readers have not made Stephen King rich enough yet? At a time when so many people are struggling to get by he demands almost as much for the kindle edition as he does the printed book. He has become as evil and ruthless as some of his worst characters. I have been reading and supporting Stephen King since I was twelve and usually run right out and buy a new SK book the day it it published, even during the lean college years. Several of his novels have disapointed me, but I hung in there, even after "Insomnia" which put me to sleep whenever I tried to read it. My support for Mr King is now at an end! I am very disappointed in your greed and obvious indifference to people who are not billionaires. The gunslinger would be ashamed!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 6:24:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 6:25:08 AM PDT
The Aviator says:
It's not Stephen King himself who sets the prices. It's his publishing company. Once an author signs the contract for the book to be published, he has very little control over anything, much less the prices. Stephen King would probably only make a couple dollars off each copy sold. You should be mad at the publishing company for setting these high prices to gouge customers and then ripping off the authors by not paying them what they deserve.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 11:53:14 AM PDT
L. Petree says:
Are you so naive to think Stephen King does not have control over everything involved with his books? He seems to be rather rich for someone who has been constanly ripped off. I am glad you feel so sorry for him, the person who is billionaire thanks to all the people who pay to read his stories. Poor guy! Perhaps you can pay double for the book to make it up to him. I will be mad at the person responsible, which is Stephen King. I am sure he would be touched by your defense of him if he actually gave a !@# about his readers or their opinion of him.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 4:20:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 4:28:14 PM PDT
A. says:
A simple I choose not to support Stephen Kings because I don't agree with his business logic will do. But, if he thinks he can charge $200 for a goddamn book and make more profit, let him. I just don't understand why people take huge offense when they feel things are over priced. Just don't buy it!!!

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 2:06:54 PM PDT
D. Whiteman says:
I will not buy this book at this price. As others have mentioned I originally purchased the Kindle (now using Kindle iPad app) because the books were less expensive and it was "greener" (as well as saving tons of shelf space at home). Hopefully Mr. Kings' publisher will come to their senses and lower the price sometime soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 6:48:58 AM PDT
maybe you do not justify it that way - I can and I do - if I opt to buy a book for $17 why should people tell me I shouldn't - it is my choice. People opt to go and see movies and spend more money for less time; people spend hundreds of dollars on video games - I opt to buy books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 3:31:16 PM PDT
A. says:
Yes your right, it is your choice. You the prefer price per entertainment hour to be low.

To me comparing a book with a movie is like comparing apples and oranges.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:37:17 PM PDT
Fantimo says:
I think they should offer a deal now on new upcoming books - Order both hardback and Kindle edition, get them bundled together at some discounted rate. Maybe 50% or more off Kindle edition. So you can read it instantly without waiting for it to ship but still have a hardback for your collection. Just my 2 cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 7:53:25 AM PDT
no, i value my time and would prefer to spend money on a book which I feel will be better than lots of the mindless trash that is out at the movies...I rarely go to movies; I rarely watch TV because i'm sick of all the reality crap that is on

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:03:27 PM PDT
P. Conrad says:
Why do these publishers keep punishing loyal readers with these pricing schemes? No way would I pay that much for an ebook.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  11/22/63: A Novel forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  93
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about