Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2011 12:00:37 PM PDT
Hongster says:
I believe the price for this game is wrong. It should be $29.99 since it is a DS game. Please have this corrected amazon.com

Thank you

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 9:27:27 AM PDT
PJ Pooka says:
I read somewhere that the reason this DS game is higher priced may be because it also has an extra rpg Prof. Layton at the end.Evidently the one overseas does.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:13:53 AM PDT
Robbit says:
This is, without a doubt, overpriced. I think Nintendo feels they can charge whatever they want for Professor Layton since it's so successful, and they're probably right. They're also playing the price game by fooling consumers into thinking it's a normal price, since most of the 3DS games are the same price, and a lot of consumers don't pay attention. If this is truly going to be the price they sell it for, then Nintendo has hit a new low. It's pretty despicable.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:41:40 AM PDT
J. Glaser says:
Seriously? "Despicable"? For charging $39 instead of $29?

Many of Nintendo's DS games have had a list price of $34.99 for years. Many of Square Enix's DS games were released with a list price of $39.99. This isn't new, it's just new for Layton.

As PJ Pooka alluded to, if this game includes the "London Life" RPG, then it is totally justified. $40 would be a bargain, actually - it'd basically be two games in one, plus the free downloadable content.

Translating the Professor Layton games takes a lot of time and money because a lot of the puzzles don't translate - they basically have to redevelop a lot of the game for Western audiences. I'm fine with them charging a price that will allow them to turn a profit on it, because I would like to see future Layton titles.

I mean geez, people. It's a $10 increase, and as of this writing Amazon is discounting it $5 anyway. "Despicable" is kicking puppies, not charging what the market will bear for an entertainment product.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:46:00 AM PDT
The last I heard from my friend who works at gamestop, is that the PL#4 is priced at that, because it is supposed to be a 3DS game instead of just a DS one. I'm kinda hoping it'll stay on the DS for now, because I can't upgrade just yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 12:35:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011 10:24:36 AM PDT
Robbit says:
Yes, despicable. A 33% mark up at first, followed by a lower 25% mark up for the next game in this series is in fact despicable. While you may be rich, and can afford to pay whatever vendors want to charge, some of us would rather pay fair market value. As such, it seems Amazon agrees with me, as the game is now marked at it's correct price of $29.99.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 11:31:06 PM PDT
dysLexieK says:
OK, I've gone back TWICE now and re-checked the price for this game, Prof. Layton Last Specter....and it IS listed at $29.99?? I'm confused at what the gripe here is! LOL Anyway, That's pretty much the going price for Prof. Layton, because it is such a succesful series! I own 2 & 3 of the series and just to have the entire collection have been wanting to get the 1st one, Curious Village....but it STILL hasn't come down low enuff for my taste! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 10:23:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2011 8:23:58 AM PDT
Robbit says:
Amazon originally had the sale price at $39.99. They then lowered it to $34.99. Finally they brought it down to $29.99 which is what each of the previous games in the series sold for. The gripe was the initially price Amazon wanted to charge, which was $39.99. While a $10.00 increase is going to break the bank of most people, it's not consistent with any pricing practices I'm aware of....especially in this economy. I don't know if Amazon or the manufacturer set the price, but either way, I'm glad they came to their senses.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 7:14:23 PM PDT
M. Weekley says:
Robbit, with all due respect you are incorrect. Several DS games have sold at a 40 price point. While you are correct that most sold at $35, some have gone for the premium at 40. These include titles as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Pokemon, and others. Economy has nothing to do with it. 30-40 is the range for the past 5-6 years.

I wouldn't get too hung up on initial preorder prices. Amazon takes the practice to overquote a price of a game and then reduce it rather the other way around. If they would have quoted it at 35 and then Nintendo announced 40, AMAZON is out, not Nintendo. They have to be safe with their preorder prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 10:44:19 PM PDT
Robbit says:
M. Weekley, with all due respect, you are incorrect. At no point did I even allude to the price of any other DS games. As I clearly stated, I spoke only of the DS games in the Professor Layton series, and each of the previous games sold for $29.99 or less. While other DS games may have been more expensive, I've never mentioned the price of any other games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 15, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - Nintendo DS
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - Nintendo DS by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (98)