4.0 out of 5 stars Go Chair: Better indoors but a decent scooter
Published on May 6, 2010 by bk

3.0 out of 5 stars It gets around
This one was a rental and it was better than the one I almost bought - brand new, so definitely the latest model. It's mostly for things like malls, very smooth areas, but does ok on sidewalks. Rough areas are a rough ride, it has lots of feedback on bumps and there are lots of little bumps in the world.

I could work with it if I knew how much time I would be...
Published 16 months ago by dawgiemama

4.0 out of 5 stars Go Chair: Better indoors but a decent scooter, May 6, 2010
bk (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride Go-Chair Travel Power Wheelchair, Blue (Health and Beauty)
My Go Chair is very maneuverable and moves at controllable speeds well indoors. Not really made as an outdoor mobility chair, it has a simple on-off switch instead of a key and is vehemently placarded against moisture. But indoors, it will turn a circle in its own profile as well as move forwards and backwards with precise control. The operating joystick is a disappointment. It moves through half of its travel before suddenly engaging the motors. That same dead area yet requirement for a light touch is true in steering. It takes some doing to cruise straight ahead and make smooth turns. It comes apart for transport, dividing down to the battery box, the main chassis, the seat and seat pedestal. The average trunk should be able to handle it. The seat doesn't fold down, something the factory should have made it do. It can sit high enough to prevent some trunk lids from closing and end up riding in the car's back seat. It has reasonable power for indoor use all day and all night. But outside where the chair must negotiate various inclines it appears to go through its charge fairly quickly. That is, it will go about 4 or so miles before recharge is necessary. Out on a perfect surface it might get the advertised 20 miles, but not where I live. The chair is comfortable and the armrests can be adjusted as can the chair height. For light indoor duty I could recommend this chair. But for all around use, a more powerful and durable chair might be a better choice. This chair comes in a scooter style with a front steering bar. This is much more attuned to outdoor use while being light weight and breaking down to 4 parts for easy transport. It won't turn as tightly as the joystick model, but it will turn tightly. I have had both versions of the Go Chair and I prefer the joystick indoors and the handlebar outdoors. Too bad I could only have just one!

3.0 out of 5 stars It gets around, July 7, 2013

I could work with it if I knew how much time I would be in it and or where. The lack of adjustments was as issue for me. I'm short and that means the arm rests are too high for any length of time and create shoulder tension. The small wheels mean it's a bumpy ride.

It can get squirrely on higher settings,, so careful choosing of the dial is needed. All in all it's not bad, not great - got the job done. Very handy in tight spaces, but still needed a manual chair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great equipment, but consider other sellers, July 14, 2010
Robert Hlozek (Oviedo, FL United States) - See all my reviews
The Pride Go Chair is a light weight power light, and Amazon is offering it at a good price. However, if you have Medicare benefits and your doctor thinks that you would medically benefit from using it, you can actually get one for little or no cost. Consider power chair providers like [...] who can use your insurance benefits to get one.

If however you're unable to get this using insurance benefits this is an excellent price and you should give it consideration.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kills muscle tone, August 28, 2012
Richard (Gonzales, LA) - See all my reviews
My brother has this powerchair and was delighted when he moved from a traditional wheelchair into this power chair. After about a year of using nothing but his index finger and thumb to move, he no longer uses his arms, hands or upper body for anything and has lost most of the strength in those body parts. He recently fell out of the chair and could not even crawl to help himself. Not only he had lower body issues, he now has upper body issues as well. He was stranded on the floor for days. I don't think you are doing anyone a favor by putting them in a joystick operated device.

5.0 out of 5 stars I did this one already, December 27, 2012
Why do they bother me with requesst to review a product I already used 5 minutes of my life to report on. I will never get back those minutes. Chair is great.

Pride Go-Chair Travel Power Wheelchair, Blue