5.0 out of 5 stars Practical supereb advice on parenting and grandparenting
Published on April 29, 2012 by Papa Don

3.0 out of 5 stars OKAY
Nice book, but honestly I believe there are better and deeper books out there. This was suggested to me and so I ordered it. No regrets but think I could do better.
Published 18 months ago by MPG

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical supereb advice on parenting and grandparenting, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Pride and Joy: A Guide to Understanding Your Child's Emotions and Solving Family Problems (Paperback)
Dr. Barish has written one of the best, most helpful, practical and least gimicky books I have ever read about parenting. I found the book eminently readable and interesting but for a lay book very scholarly. The insights are profound and I wish I had this book available when my children were first born. It has helped me to better understand and interact with my children as well as to relate to the children I encounter in my business. A profound experience for parents, grandparents and anyone who encounters children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Joy, July 21, 2013
Great book to help parents and therapists understand children's emotional development. I appreciate Dr. Barish's research on shame since it's an emotion that is not written about often. It arrived on time and in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant & Effective, February 25, 2013
Dr. Barish speaks from years of experience and his insights are practical in application. From the beginning pages of his book, I could already relate and respond to my children in a different and more effective way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear concise parenting plan, December 2, 2012
Janet (Armonk, NY United States) - See all my reviews
People say that the problem with children is that they don't come with an instruction manual. It is my belief that Dr. Barish's most recent book could serve as one and make the world a better place if every newborn baby came with a copy. As a parent of three teenagers and a Psychoanalyst, I am thrilled to recommend this book to friends and patients. It takes the emphasis off "punishment" and behavior and focuses on addressing the emotional needs of a child that lead to sub-optimal behaviors in a clear direct way that any parent can try. While considering the current criticisms of the day of too lenient parenting, Dr. Barish explains that sometimes negotiating and modeling flexibility for our children is not a sin. A great and useful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, December 9, 2012
Dr. Barish's approach may not be the quick and easy attempt at curing problems but it works. It has helped restore my relationship with my teenager. I highly reommend it for anyone with kids of any age. The earlier this approach begins the better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully clear and helpful book, July 14, 2012
Rather than offer gimmicks and the promise of quick fixes, Dr. Barish outlines a thoughtful and well-researched approach applicable to every aspect of family life. He emphasizes empathy and encouragement to help strengthen the foundation of your relationships with your children which is crucial to increasing their willingness to cooperate and collaborate. He articulates how this approach can be effective in addressing many specific problems that challenge parents, such as video games, homework, defiant behavior, and many more.
So many parents and their children are stuck in unpleasant cycles of misbehavior, punishment and escalating resentment on both sides. Utilizing Dr. Barish's suggested style of parenting will unquestionably improve these situations. After completing this book, I guarantee you'll think of someone who can benefit from Dr. Barish's approach and his wisdom. I have already recommended this book to numerous colleagues, clients, and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Physician Review, May 22, 2012
This is a wonderful book in which Dr. Barish, a child psychologist and parent, shares the wisdom he has acquired in over thirty years of counseling parents and their children.
The advice is supported wtih reports of scientific studies that give the readers confidence in their decisions, and it encourages the use of relationship skills already acquired in other aspects of their lives.
The information is well organized and offers specific suggestions for many common problems.
It is a great gift for new parents as well as those struggling with parenting problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, April 1, 2014
E. Salay (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have read dozens of parenting, child development, and discipline books in my quest to be a good parent. I am addicted to them and have my own library of parenting books. Some of them are good, but most are just okay. Nothing has really clicked with me and nothing has seemed more relevant and practical than Pride and Joy by Kenneth Barish. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for practical, thoughtful solutions to everyday problems as well as a resource for understanding children's emotions (actually it will help you understand adult emotions too!). Highly, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best parenting books I've read, March 25, 2014
. Superb balance of research-based and common sense explanations for children’s behaviors and suggestions for problem resolution using caring interactions and responsible limit-setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful writing in understanding underlying reasons for child behavior, January 21, 2014
It was very helpful and eye opening, well written and easy to understand. His writing is credible based on many years experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›