4.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Romance
Published on March 23, 2011 by AsianCocoa

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good
I like other Sylvia Day books, so this surprised me that I was not a fan of this book. Can't love them all!
Published 17 months ago by Allie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Romance, March 23, 2011
I really liked Jasper and Eliza's story. Eliza was a stubborn, independent, take charge woman and Jasper was a determined, arrogant man. From the first time they met he knew that he wanted her. The mystery of who was behind all the freak accidents that Eliza was victim to was a nice back drop. But what I really enjoyed was the bold bantering between the two of them and Jasper's seduction of Eliza was perfect.

"God. Am I hurting you?" "No...Too full." Stretched to the point of aching, but she was not pained.
"You can take me." His fingers rubbed between her legs, starting a hot, sweet trickle of sensation in her core. "Let me in Eliza. Don't fight it." pg.134

Oh and the sex scenes weren't bad either. ;-)
Great historical romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Man After Every Woman's Heart, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Pride and Pleasure (Paperback)
In 1818 London, a man by the name of Jasper Bond works as a thief-taker; a man who offers security to people who need it and does everything within his power to find what is lost, as well as uncover the secrets that are hidden by others.

As we begin our story, the amazingly handsome Mr. Bond goes to meet a local person who desperately needs his help. As this amazingly sexy man wraps his gloved hand around the eagle's head on top of his cane and walks into St. George's cathedral, he runs directly into a woman by the name of Eliza Martin and her uncle. Jasper is completely intrigued as he sits with Eliza who tells him immediately that he is far too good looking for what she needs. This beautiful redhead who is a very wealthy woman wants suitors to leave her be so that she can get through this, the sixth and last season that she has to date and look for a significant other, and then be left alone.

Eliza has had a horrific time as of late. She knows she needs protection from someone who is a predator who seems to want to scare her silly. Setting her up with a snake in her bedroom, a broken saddle that almost made her fall during a ride, and other small "accidents" that could harm Eliza, have happened to her all Season. A suitor that could walk around with her and investigate who the culprit is that's trying to harm Eliza is someone she needs, yet Jasper is indeed a man with the looks and heat that make the normally steady Eliza forget everything except him.

Jasper makes Eliza a deal and convinces her that he's the thief-taker she needs who will find the culprit and stop the "accidents" from happening. There are fortune hunters aplenty after the woman's money - including Montague who is a young man that Jasper is trying desperately to destroy because of their past. As they each unveil each other's history, Eliza and Jasper find themselves falling deeper and deeper into a love that neither can understand.

The passion is amazing in this fantastically written novel. Eliza is an extremely strong character with an intelligence that holds her far above the rest of society; and, Jasper is a strong, handsome man who has come from nothing to become one of the most eligible bachelors in town. The romance between the two will keep all readers glued to the page, and the mystery involving who, exactly, is out there dying to hurt Ms. Eliza for reasons that the reader will never guess makes for an imaginative, fun-filled mystery that will keep readers completely engaged.

Ms. Day has done an extremely remarkable job with this romance. From the costumes to the dead-on language, to characters that are not easily forgotten, this wonderful, creative author has produced a romance that all readers will want to delve into and not put down until the very last page. Enjoy!

Until Next Time,
Amy

4.0 out of 5 stars exciting Regency romantic suspense, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Pride and Pleasure (Paperback)
Eliza Martin prefers staying on the shelf rather than marrying some bonehead only interested in her money. In fact the heiress prefers rusticating alone than partying with the Ton. However, her guardian uncle keeps introducing Eliza to suitable suitors who want to control her fortune. She keeps rejecting these fortune hunters.

Recently Eliza has been a victim of a series of accidents that the intelligent woman suspects is not coincidental. She hires thief-taker Jasper Bond to go undercover as another suitor in order to protect her and to expose who she is trying to harm her and why. She is attracted to her bodyguard, but believes he is too big and handsome for her. Jasper conceals he is another member of the Ton wanting her though he wants to steal her heart not her money.

This is an exciting Regency romantic suspense as the lead couple falls in love as they investigate the incidents. Fast-paced, Jasper tries to never ignore his client's safety while also hoping to win her love. Although the motive for the accidents seems preposterous, readers will enjoy Pride and Pleasure as the hero not only vows to keep his beloved safe, but overcome her prejudice towards him.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!, July 4, 2011
angied21 (MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride and Pleasure (Paperback)
This book was so good I couldn't put it down! Kept me up reading until the wee hours of the morning.

From the beginning, Eliza and Jasper had a very strong sexual attraction to each other. She tries to avoid him and he is up for the challenge she presents. Jasper takes every opportunity to be around her, and in the end she can't resist him. Once they decided to be together, I loved that Eliza didn't ever let what was said about Jasper keep her away from him. She believed in her decision to marry him and stuck with it. I also loved how Jasper realized what he had with Eliza, and didn't let his revenge get in the way of their being together.

I thought Sylvia Day did a great job of building their relationship, and as usual, adding well-written, very hot scenes. I was surprised who the 'bad-guy' was, which was nice that it wasn't predictable.

Read this book ... you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart recognizes what the reason ignores, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Pride and Pleasure (Paperback)
Passion and love undermine the best laid plans. Eliza Martin, a self-sufficient heiress, who is avoiding forfeiting her freedom and fortune to a husband, plans to retire to the country after her sixth London season is over. Suspicious incidents make Eliza wary of her suitors, thinking someone is trying to force her into a marriage for protection. She hires a runner (London pioneering police) who doesn't take her seriously, but recommends Jasper Bond's thief-taker associate, Thomas Lynd, who cannot stand Eliza, and ends up asking Jasper to look after her security and to continue with the investigation.

Jasper is an honest thief-taker in a time most aren't. He finds what is lost and protects those in need of security. He also follows an ethical code in his trade. Jasper has worked hard to execute revenge on the family who wronged his mother, and he is closer than ever to achieve his life's goal. He doesn't want a wife, there is no place in his life for one, and he plans to move overseas once his vengeance is consummated. In spite of his traumatic childhood, Jasper is a caring human being, a decent man, and a loyal friend. Protecting Eliza and caring for her is a natural thing for him.

Eliza, being a strong woman in charge of her own life and money, is affected by Jasper's raw masculinity and handsomeness. She is mortified by memories of her mother's risque behavior that she tries to avoid repeating, and which she never understands, until she meets Jasper. Eliza rejects the notion of Jasper working for her, and finds excuses to justify why he isn't the right man for the job. Jasper, who has a penchant for mysteries is more intrigued for Eliza herself than the mysterious circumstances that compel her to ask for his services. Using his wit Jasper convinces Eliza of giving him the opportunity to prove he is worthy of the position. Jasper decides he wants her for himself, and since Eliza has made clear that she will never marry, he doesn't have any qualms in seducing her. Indeed, his resolve increases when Jasper realizes that he might lose her to the opposition, who includes his nemesis, and later in the game, even his own best friend and collaborator.

Pride and Pleasure is a satisfying reading, the characters are of the most sympathetic ones I'd ever encountered, and the love scenes are fervid. The first one between Jasper and Eliza is one of the most original and passionate, seducing the virgin scene, I'd ever read. The more they learn about one another, the more their mutual admiration and love spring up. The suspenseful subplot makes one distrusts nearly all the secondary characters until the discovery of the wrongdoer. The book is written in a prose that belongs to the period is set, and there are plenty of witty exchanges amongst the characters. That has always been my favorite part of historicals, so I fully enjoyed the beautiful and diverse usage of the English language by the author for our reading pleasure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, February 4, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Not Great, April 14, 2013
As some of you might know I'm a huge Sylvia Day fan so when I saw my library had this one I knew I had to give it a try. I have read another one of her historical romances last year and it turned out to be one of my favourite reads of last year so I went into reading Pride & Pleasure with high expectations that unfortunately were not met.

While I liked the plot of Pride and Pleasure quite a bit the way that the story was told, as well as the characters just didn't jive with me well at all. I was happy to see that Sylvia Day created a smart, and strong willed heroine that was unwilling to be pushed around by anyone I just couldn't connect to Eliza's character. She was far too hard and aloof so I was completely unable to connect with her. She just seemed so harsh and didn't endear me at all because of the aloofness. Even when it came to the love she had for Jasper she wasn't sweet or tender at all. She was like Ice through out the whole novel and I didn't think she nor any of the other characters were very well developed.

Jasper, despite being a handsome and charming fellow who makes his money doing some underhanded things and being rich wasn't all that likable of a hero either. I will admit that I did like the role he played in investigating the circumstances behind the attempts on Eliza's life I didn't feel anything for him. He was rather bland and didn't seem as smart as he appeared to be and I thought he was cliché.

As I said I did like the plot of the story for the most part. I liked that there was a mystery to solve because certain unscrupulous people were making attempts on Eliza's life to pressure her into marrying someone for safety so they would have access to her wealth. There were times when I thought I figured out who the bad guy was but when the people responsible were finally revealed near the end of the book I was taken by surprise. However, when it came to the pace of the story I thought the whole book kind of dragged for me and there seemed to be a few plot holes that never made sense to me and I didn't really get why they were added in.

The romance between Eliza and Jasper was probably the biggest disappointment for me. I'm used to Sylvia Day offering up a tension filled spicy romance and I felt as though the romance between the two main characters in this one just lacked all of that. I was hoping that there would be a lot of passion between the pages of Pride and Pleasure but it seemed as though the romance was very bland and lackluster.

Despite not believing in the romance and wishing the characters had more substance I did like certain aspects of the story enough for Pride & Pleasure that in the end I didn't end up loving it but I did end up liking it. I'm glad I gave it a try and I think that this is just a book that didn't meet all my expectations.

I would recommend this to other fans of Sylvia Day and fans of historical romance because it was a very quick read and it was fun enough that I spent an afternoon immersed in the book. I think it would be a good introduction to the authors writing for people who haven't read her books before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 25, 2012
Ever since reading bared to you, I've been reading Sylvia's other historical romances. And of course, they didn't disappoint. Strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Pleasure, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Pride and Pleasure (Paperback)
I have seen Sylvia Day books out there, but I had not read any until this book -- and I definitely was not disappointed! The great thing about this was that it reminded me the Amanda Quick regencies, where the heroine is mostly lost in her own world, maybe a little too logical at times, but needs the help of someone, the person becoming the hero of the story. And of course, within the events in the book, the other person wreaks havoc on each other's ordered existences. And have a rather hot time doing it too. This was a fun and easy read -- and, I did not figure out who was the culprit; but then, I'm usually bad at sort of thing, even if others say it was obvious. The ending, I did think was a tiny bit rushed, but definitely was not something that took away from the totally enjoyment of the book. Definitely will be watching for more from this author!

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this one at all, February 23, 2013
I read "The Stranger I Married" first from this author and loved it. Still do and I read it twice. I loved "Seven Years to Sin" equally so or even more. I liked "Ask for It" very much as well and "Passion for the Game" was also very good. However, I found this book very boring. I actually stopped reading it twice, put it down and read something else an then went back to it. I constantly found myself distracted and drifting and I can't recall if I ever really finished it.
I really did not like the heroine. I really am shocked by all the positive reviews. I guess if you are a huge fan of this author and just love everything she touches maybe you will just love it but I have to be honest. I am a huge romance reader and this was very boring for me. I was recently a little disappointed with "A Passion for Him" as well, her newest. I think Maria's story was much better. Skip this one and "A Passion."

Pride and Pleasure
Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day (Paperback - January 25, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01