1,922 Reviews
 (1,737)

5.0 out of 5 stars A stellar adaptation of Pride and Prejudice
Published on July 20, 2012 by Z Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars Love and money
I love this pride and prejudice cast. I have watched this stoey many, many times and always enjoy it. It's like relaxing with family.
Published 6 months ago by ELLIE

5.0 out of 5 stars A stellar adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, July 20, 2012
With the exception of the movie version starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier, I own all three adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice - the 1980 version, Pride and Prejudice (BBC Miniseries), the 1995 BBC series, Pride and Prejudice (Restored Edition), and the 2005 film version starring Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadyen, Pride & Prejudice. Of these, my favorite is the 1995 BBC adaptation which I've watched countless times.

There's something infinitely charming about the 1995 adaptation. The casting is wonderful, especially in the casting of Colin Firth as the delectable Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. I do not think any other actor has come close to portraying the role of Mr. Darcy with such perfection and aplomb, though David Rintoul and Matthew McFadyen have both done credible turns in their roles in the 1980 and 2005 versions respectively. As for the role of dear Elizabeth Bennet, Jennifer Ehle may at first appear to be a bit too old to play the role of Ms. Eliza Bennet, but her depiction of the role is one of the best I've seen as she truly embodies Elizabeth's fiercely independent spirit and strong will (Elizabeth Garvie is my next favorite from the 1980 version, and Keira Knightley is the most age-appropriate to have played the role).

The chemistry between Ehle and Firth is strong, and their verbal sparring is a joy to watch! The other roles are equally well-cast - there's Alison Steadman as the silly but incredibly shrewd Mrs. Bennet; Benjamin Whitrow as her long-suffering husband; Julia Sawalha as the flirty and reckless Lydia (the best portrayal of Lydia in my humble opinion, and Sawalha went on to star in another of my favorite BBC series, Lark Rise to Candleford); Adrian Lukis as the unscrupulous Wickham; David Bamber as the oily Mr. Collins, and Barbara Leigh Hunt as the domineering dowager Lady Catherine de Burgh. This ensemble cast comes together to deliver memorable performances that have and continue to delight audiences.

Oh, and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous! Elizabeth Bennet was not the only one to be awestruck when she has her first sighting of Pemberley. It is so beautiful and stately, and appropriately awe-inspiring. The score is beautiful and one which I don't mind listening to each time a new episode begins.

I have come to think of the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice as a classic, and it truly deserves this status. I know I will be watching it for many more years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I see what everyone was talking about!, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
After almost 18 years since this TV mini-series came out, I finally watched it here on Amazon for Prime members (oh by the way is well worth the subsription price) and loved it! I remember when this series came out everyone was a buzz about the performance of this somewhat new comer, Colin Firth. I wasn't into watching much TV then so I just ignored it. Just this past summer my churches women's group played "Sense and Sensibility" as it's movie night at our annual retreat. I went home and downloaded the movie to watch it again and was amazed. I had never read or seen any of Jane Austen's novels so that made me look for the others. Of course all my friends were begging me to see this 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. I had already watch the never version of the story from the 2008 version and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then I saw this 1995 version and realized my folly. What an amazing six part series! Love, love, love it! Now I get it about what the big deal was about this British chap, Colin Firth. I have watched and re-watched this series over and over again since my first viewing in August of this year. I can not get enough of the acting, the scenary and the costumes. This is the ultimate period drama. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who loves period dramas and, especially, loves Colin Firth. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "comfort movie!" (Like comfort food.), September 6, 2012
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
No matter what your day has been like...sit back and watch Pride and Prejudice and feel better. It's like a warm bath and chocolate - just minus the calories. Revel in the experience!! P & P, take me away!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE FAVORITE VERSION OF PRIDE N PREJUDICE, June 14, 2012
DEBY MORROW (LOS ANGELES, CA United States) - See all my reviews
It is my favorite of all the Pride and Prejudice films made - so glad it is now available online!! Thanks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic min-series, June 16, 2012
I admit that my wife convinced me to watch this with her. I was skeptical (to say the least), and watched it begrudgingly. I was soon hooked, however, and could not wait to get through the last few episodes to completion.

The acting is superb and the casting, with a couple of exceptions, is terrific. The characters play with such depth and ability that they draw you in to the narrative. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the mini-series. The version we watched was the multi-disc set I bought for my wife on Mother's Day. She has seen it 6-7 times, and I even told her I would be willing to watch it again with her - although not for a while ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version, ever., December 31, 2013
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
I watch this production several times a year, when I need a spiritual lift. 5-stars just doesn't go high enough for me on the scale of how I feel about this movie. I laugh out loud, I tear up, I sigh, and I love, love, love the ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
This is the best representation in film of Pride and Prejudice ever made. It contains all the pertinent parts of the book in percise detail as the author intended, something the latter movie with Keira Knightly so neglected in script. There is no doubt why Colin Firth was so recognized after playing Mr. Darcy as he did it so perfectly. His facial expressions gave you the air of Darcy that was so well described in the book. Jennifer Ehle also played perfectly the part of Elizabeth. I highly commend the casting, scripting and production in its entirety. This is a 6 episode mini-series but to do it any other way is to insult the writing of such a great author. Hollywood ought not to have attempted it but leave it to the BBC and A&E to do it with such tremendous detail and perfection. Bravo! I read the Kindle edition of the book (from Amazon) after watching the series and then watched the series again. The book gives a few nuances that were clearer to me in the series after I read it. If you are not a reader then this is the version that you need to watch to get the true representation of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favorite version of Pride and Prejudice, May 29, 2014
brooksmusic "brooksmusic" (Panama City, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
This is the most faithful to the book. And the actors are all very good! I've seen them all and this is by far my favorite version of this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite version, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
I love this PBS version of Pride and Prejudice. I have a hard time not watching the whole show in one sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Darcy and great Elizabeth!, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Pride & Prejudice Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
A classic. Their chemistry is great. The scenes are lovely. Well worth watching many many times. I love this production.