‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Priest With Dirty Clothes, April 1, 2011
David (Shelbina, Macau) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy of The Priest With Dirty Clothes from Reformation Trust in exchange for a review.

Overview:
This children's story by Dr. R. C. Sproul is based upon Zechariah 3:1-5. Dr. Sproul uses this passage to weave a story about a young priest who is called up to preach a sermon before the household of the King. However, on his way to the court of the King, he is thrown from his horse in the middle of a rainstorm and his garments are soiled by mud. When standing before the King, his blemishes are pointed out by the court magician, Malus, who says that he should not be able to stand in the presence of the King, and the King agrees. However, the King is willing to give the young priest a second chance if only he can clean his robes.
The young priest tries everything he can think of to cleanse his robes, but nothing works. Finally, he comes to the Great Prince and asks for His help and He agrees on the condition that the priest trusts in Him. When the priest next appears before the King, Malus once again begins to accuse the priest; however, the Great Prince comes in and takes the priest's clothes and gives him His own magnificent robes.

What I liked:
As a father of four young children, I love these stories because they teach such profound biblical truths, but do so in a way that is easy to understand for younger children. This story is no exception. Our sin and unrighteousness before a holy God is pictured in the soiled robes of the young priest. Also the great great truth of the double imputation of our sin to Jesus and His righteousness to us is pictured in the exchanging of the robes, so that the priest is clad in the Prince's robes and the Prince is clad in the priest's soiled clothes.

Another thing that I like about this book is the artwork. It is visually quite pleasing to look at, my children are enjoying just sitting and looking at the pictures.

What I didn't like:
There isn't anything to report here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Priest With Dirty Clothes, September 30, 2011
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
On Sunday morning, I was preparing for worship. My ten year old son came bolting onto the platform. He had important news to share - news that probably had something to do with a new video game or Lego set. Nathan said with a smile on his face, "R.C. Sproul's new book is out!"

We purchased the book and by 2:00 p.m. he had completed R.C.'s newest treasure. My son says, "Dad, you've gotta read this book. It's really cool." Who can argue with an eager ten-year old who is excited about a new book by R.C. Sproul?

The Priest With Dirty Clothes is story based on Zechariah 3:1-5. The story illustrates the theological realities that emerge, including justification by faith alone and imputation. At the end of the day, Sproul intends to communicate rich biblical truth that make up the gospel message. The story-telling vehicle is a creative way to drive these important truths into the hearts and minds of children.

Sproul's book is beautifully illustrated and is appropriate for young children and pre-teens. But the message Sproul communicates is for everyone - namely, sinners need a new set of clothes; they need a new heart. And Christ, our great high priest is the only One qualified to grant what we need most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Picture of Imputation, April 3, 2011
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
It is always a joy to come across a book that helps to explain the gospel in a way that children can grasp. This is especially nice when the telling of the story brings to light important and often-neglected aspects of the good news. The Prince with Dirty Clothes is one such book.

This little book by R.C. Sproul presents the picture of Christ's imputed righteousness for the believer. Paralleling the scene in Zechariah 3, Sproul tells the story of a priest whose clothes were too filthy for him to stand in the presence of the king. The prince, the son of the king, gives the priest his perfect clothes in exchange for the priest's ruined ones. In this picture, children and grown-ups are reminded of how Jesus not only took the punishment for the sin of Gods' children, but how he also granted to believers his perfect righteousness by his grace through faith alone.

My family enjoyed the book. The story is short and sweet, which allowed my seven-year-old to be able to read the book herself. She grasped the concept very well, and we had a helpful discussion about the story. Also, while I am not one to have an opinion about art, my wife tells me that she is fond of the illustrations in this work.

At the end of the book, Sproul includes a set of helpful questions for discussion. Parents and teachers will be able to not only read this story to their little ones, but also use the story as a helpful teaching tool.

So, with the approval of my wife and my daughter, I am happy to recommend The Priest with Dirty Clothes to parents, Sunday School teachers, Children's Church workers, and any who want to share the gospel with young ones. I Would recommend that this story be told alongside The Prince's Poison Cup in order to give a more full-orbed presentation of the gospel. Putting these two books together will help to display the imputation of Christ's perfect righteousness (The Priest with Dirty Clothes as well as his penal substitutionary atonement The Prince's Poison cup).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story for Communicating the Gospel, January 22, 2014
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
I love listening to R.C. Sproul’s teachings. He has helped me to better understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ and has helped me to see the holiness of the Triune God more reverently. When I found out that he was writing children’s books I was excited to read some of them to my kids.

Presenting the Gospel clearly to children can be a difficult task. Too often we water it down to the point that Jesus’ righteousness is ignored or underplayed and all we’re left with is some God-man named Jesus who (for some odd reason) decided to die on a cross for us. There is rarely an explanation that God is holy and just; that due to our inherent human sinfulness we fall so far short of his demands. Rarely do we hear stories that tell our children of the magnificent exchange of Christ’s righteousness for our unrighteousness.

R.C. Sproul does a tremendous job of telling the Gospel for what it is. I was thrilled and teary-eyed as I read this story to my three boys. The Priest with the Dirty Clothes follows the vision in Zechariah 3:1-5. Plenty of other reviews give a better summary so I will skip out on that.

My seven year old was able to enjoy the story and comprehend its message. My six year old got bored, and my four year old enjoyed the reading time. I would recommend this book to any parent. If you want your child to grasp the content then I would recommend reading it or having them read it when they are on a first to third grade reading level.

Also of note, the reference to Zechariah 3 in the beginning helps keep the story grounded in scripture. The questions at then end help remind the parent and children clarify their comprehension. Again, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Children's books I have read, November 16, 2011
Book Review:
The Priest with Dirty Clothes
The book begins by telling the story of two little children named Darby and Campbell. Darby and Campbell are enjoying a day outdoors making mud pies. Both of the children get caught up in the excitement and end up covered in mud. Both the children return home and are confronted by their Mother. Their mother is angered by their filthy clothes and states that she will never be able to get the mud out of them. In a typical Sproul children's book like fashion, he introduces the grandpa into the picture. A grandfather coming in and telling a Christocentric story is a commonality among all Sproul's children books. I personally enjoy his regularity with this theme. I would be confused if the grandfather and his story telling was missing. I often wonder if Sproul is describing himself and how he interacts with his own grandchildren. The grandfather arrives at their house while this situation is going on. He sits the children down to tell them a similar story to their situation, a story of a priest. There once was a priest named Jonathan. Upon his appointment to the role of priest he receives brand new clothes. After receiving these new clothes he is asked to preach in the King's kingdom. Jonathan is ecstatic and begins preparing his sermon. After finishing his sermon and preparing to preach, Jonathan then travels to the kingdom. Along the way a terrible storm breaks out and his horse slips and this flings him from his carriage. The priest is now covered in mud. The priest was utterly ashamed and did not want to go to the kingdom. Reluctantly the priest still went. The priest tried to clean himself off to no avail. The priest stepped into the pulpit and the king's magician cried aloud that no one was allowed to preach unless they were wearing clean garments. The king likewise concurred with this, but because of the circumstances he gave him another chance to preach the following week. The priest went away and tried to fix the issue. The village cleaner could not clean his garment. Jonathan then went to the bishop who appointed him and asked for new clothes and he said it does not work that way. Finally, the priest went to the prince of the kingdom to ask for help. The prince told him that he would take care of everything and that he only needed to show up once again to preach. Jonathan was confused and asked how? The prince told him not to worry about this and reassured him that he always keeps his promises. Jonathan returns to the kingdom to preach, still wearing his filthy clothes. He steps into the pulpit and the magician, in anger, curses him. The king also looks at Jonathan in dismay. All of a sudden the prince comes in carrying a box. Everyone is confused at the arrival of the prince. The prince walks up to Jonathan and asks for his dirty clothes. In place of these clothes, Jonathan opens the box and it is the priest's very own clothes. The prince declares that these clothes are a gift. Jonathan wants to know how he can repay the prince. The prince says that he cannot be repaid and all he asks is out of thankfulness to obey his commandments. From this point on Jonathan goes around preaching of the prince's great goodness and displaying his gift.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to the day when my daughter can enjoy this book as much as I have. This is probably one of the best, if not the best children's book I have read, which explains the gospel. The book is saturated with rich theology, which is easily seen. Additionally, it is filled with great pictures. Sproul concludes the book with discussion questions for you and your family upon completion of the story.

Publisher: Reformation Trust
Publication Date: 2011
Pages: 46
Binding Type: Hardback
Book Grade: A+
For the best price on this book click here or click on the book image at the top of the page

~The Reformed Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Children's Book, September 22, 2011
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
I am constantly on the lookout for good books to read to my children. So it was great when I came across and was able to review "The Priest with Dirty Clothes" by R.C. Sproul.
The story is based upon Zechariah 3:1-15, and does a wonderful job of conveying the biblical truths found in that passage in a way that is easy for children to understand. I read it to my daughters (a 6yr old and 3yr old) and they were completely captivated by the storyline and beautiful illustrations. When we were finished reading, I asked them the questions that are provided at the end of the book and my oldest daughter was able to answer most of them, showing that she comprehended the biblical truths the story was trying to convey.
It's been awhile since I have found such a great children's book as this one. This is my favorite of R.C. Sproul's children's books he has written to date and I know that we will return to it again and again during our family reading time. So, that being said, this should be in every family's home library.
A review copy of this book was provided by Reformation Trust in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly a Good Allegory, July 1, 2014
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
I read this to three boys ages 9-13, probably a little older than the target age. They followed it and enacted with it well, though I don't think they were crazy about it. What I most appreciated was that it got them thinking. I told them up front that it was an allegory so they would stop me and tell the meaning behind the story. They seemed pleased that they had figured it out and I was pleased that they were thinking and that they could catch the parallels. However, I was puzzled by a couple of things. I'm not sure why the main character was a priest before he received his new robe. I was also troubled that he is portrayed as getting dirty accidentally and is immediately saddened by his dirtiness. You are made to sympathize with him and to feel like he deserves to have clean clothes because after all it wasn't his fault that he got dirty. I know that no allegory can be perfect in every detail, but this seems like a crucial part of the gospel story that cannot afford to be misrepresented. I still think it is a good book, but I would consider explaining the parts that aren't true to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30, 2014
good purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful message for kids & adults!, June 15, 2014
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
Superb book for young kids with a potent message about the ONLY way one can be forgiven their sins and accepted by God.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed book, April 30, 2014
This review is from: The Priest with Dirty Clothes (Hardcover)
Great book my grandson really understood the love of jesus from this book I recommend this book for parents to read to their children

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Priest with Dirty Clothes
The Priest with Dirty Clothes by R. C. Sproul (Hardcover - February 11, 2011)
$18.00 $15.88