From the Manufacturer
Proven Strength for Heartburn Relief
In a recent study, we tested the strength of Prilosec OTC against frequent heartburn. Take a look at the results:
|78%||of consumers were heartburn free on the first night|
|81%||of consumers had complete relief*/only mild symptoms on day one|
|94%||of consumers were satisfied with how well Prilosec OTC worked|
See for yourself if Prilosec OTC is right for you.
*It’s possible with Prilosec OTC. Use as directed for 14 days for treating frequent heartburn
Why Prilosec OTC Is Different
When you eat, millions of tiny pumps in your stomach produce acid to break down food — heartburn occurs when these excess acids reflux into your esophagus. Prilosec OTC works by directly blocking many of these pumps. Your stomach produces enough acid to digest food, but reduces excess acid — making it the most effective heartburn treatment choice and the #1 doctor recommended OTC acid reducer.† Prilosec OTC blocks heartburn for 24 hours with one pill a day.*
Antacids neutralize the acid in your stomach. Unlike the proactive PPI, antacids are commonly taken after you eat or when pain begins. While no heartburn treatments cure the condition, antacids provide only temporary relief.
H2 Blockers relieve heartburn symptoms by reducing the acid production. They begin working within an hour and last for 12 hours. H2 Blockers are not as effective in treating severe heartburn as PPIs.
*It’s possible with Prilosec OTC. Use as directed for 14 days for treating frequent heartburn.
†Wolters Kluwer (Acid reducer category).
Read Our Package
Active ingredient (in each tablet)
Omeprazole magnesium delayed-release tablet 20.6 mg
(equivalent to 20 mg omeprazole)
- treats frequent heartburn (occurs 2 or more days a week)
- not intended for immediate relief of heartburn; this drug may take 1 to 4 days for full effect
Allergy alert: Do not use if you are allergic to omeprazole
Do not use if you have trouble or pain swallowing food, vomiting with blood, or bloody or black stools.
These may be signs of a serious condition. See your doctor.
Ask a doctor before use if you have
- had heartburn over 3 months. This may be a sign of a more serious condition.
- heartburn with lightheadedness, sweating or dizziness
- chest pain or shoulder pain with shortness of breath; sweating; pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders; or lightheadedness
- frequent chest pain
- frequent wheezing, particularly with heartburn
- unexplained weight loss
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach pain
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking
- warfarin (blood-thinning medicine)
- prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medicines
- diazepam (anxiety medicine)
- digoxin (heart medicine)
- tacrolimus (immune system medicine)
- atazanavir (medicine for HIV infection)
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- your heartburn continues or worsens
- you need to take this product for more than 14 days
- you need to take more than 1 course of treatment every 4 months
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- adults 18 years of age and older
- this product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days
- it may take 1 to 4 days for full effect, although some people get complete relief of symptoms within 24 hours
- children under 18 years of age: ask a doctor
14-Day Course of Treatment
- swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water before eating in the morning
- take every day for 14 days
- do not take more than 1 tablet a day
- do not chew or crush the tablets
- do not crush tablets in food
- do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor
Repeated 14-Day Courses (if needed)
- you may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months
- do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor
- read the directions, warnings and package insert before use
- keep the carton and package insert. They contain important information.
- store at 20-25°C (68-77°F)
- keep product out of high heat and humidity
- protect product from moisture
Inactive ingredients glyceryl monostearate, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, iron oxide, magnesium stearate, methacrylic acid copolymer, microcrystalline cellulose, paraffin, polyethylene glycol 6000, polysorbate 80, polyvinylpyrrolidone, sodium stearyl fumarate, starch, sucrose, talc, titanium dioxide, triethyl citrate