Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Prilosec OTC Frequent Heartburn Medicine and Acid Reducer Tablets, 42 Count (Packaging May Vary)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on December 21, 2003
This is one of the top money-making drugs of all time, and for good reason. It works. I used to have pretty bad acid reflux. I would chew Pepcid Complete (which is an antacid drug combined with a base to neutralize acid) after every meal, as if they were after-dinner mints. Now, I just take Prilosec once a day, and now I almost never suffer from heartburn, and when I do, it is not as bad as it used to be. Trust me on this. This drug works differently than Pepcid or Zantac (I have a Ph.D in biology), so if those drugs don't work for you, don't be afraid to give this a try.
1515 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 6, 2005
For those that suffer with frequent heartburn or have frequent instances of gastric reflux, Prilosec is a literal lifesaver.

Stomach acid is strong stuff (pH of 1), and belongs in the stomach, not in the esophagus, where it can cause burning of the esophageal lining (hertburn). If this happens frequently, the esophagus can be badly damaged. Gastro-esophageal Reflex Disease (GERD)can also cause severe erosive damage to the teeth if stomach acid is burped into the mouth frequently. The tooth enamel is literally eroded away, and teeth become very sensitive and permanently damaged.

To save your teeth and esophagus, Prilosec has come to the rescue. Prilosec is a former prescription product in a class of medicines called proton pump inhibitors. This means that the effect of Prilosec is to decrease stomach acid production. This is also beneficial for treatment of stomach ulcers, which need a minimal acid environment to heal.

Prilosec is taken once a day for 14 days in a typical course (thus, it is generally packaged in groups of 14 tablets). Most people have considerable relief beyond the 14 day course. It is not a product to take for immediate (within minutes) treatment of heartburn. The insert on the box states it takes at least a day to 4 days to reach its full effect. Each person will vary in terms of relief and how long the relief lasts.

Prilosec is a very good medicine for the treatment of GERD. It is in the same class as Prevacid, so if Prilosec gives you undesirable side effects, try Prevacid and the side effects may be lessened.

Jim "Konedog" Koenig, Dentist
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2014
Just wanted to provide my results and feedback. I've been taking Prilosec since 2005 and was in my mid 20's then. I started when I got frequent heart burn and went to see a doctor. Instead of actually taking the time and diagnosing the real issue He prescribed me Prilosec. I took it for years and never questioned it. Fast forward to 2011 my wife began getting concerned and stating I shouldn't take this pill for ever and asked me to see a Gastroenterologist. I Scheduled an appointment and had a endoscopy done. Post endoscopy test showed nothing abnormal, no hernia or anything. The doctor said if Prilosec is working keep taking it (my wife was shocked). I tried getting off the 1 a day pill several times with failure because the intense heartburn I got which I later found out was rebound from the drug. Starting September 2013 I tried again with more research and better approach. I began by reducing the amount of Prilosec from 1 a day to ¾ for 1 week then to ½ for week. After 3 weeks I used Tagment and Pepcid AC frequently to treat the rebound created by Prilosec. It was extremely painful and I’d wake up frequently at night with massive heartburn. I begin taking a Probiotic enzyme with every meal and Now Foods Betaine HCl. This worked for several months while I tried to wean myself off the Pepcid AC and Tums popping. . I tried everything from DGL to heartburn stop. It appears the rebound lasted 4-5 months. This might be due to me being on the pill for years. Now in Feb 2014 I am not having to take any enzyme or probiotic. I also began exercising early January and began eating healthier. I’ve lost 13 lbs. I did not consider myself fat either since I frequent the gym to lift weights 3-4 times a week. I’ve cut out eating out (Both restaurants and fast food) and my energy is great and no heartburn. I started P90x3 and its been a blast! It’s rare that I reach for a tums, generally only when I drink lots of wine or coffee. I hope that any of the information above helps anyone trying to get off taking this pill. Best of Luck to you all!
1515 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2015
Works great and exactly as stated. I've been using this for my heartburn problem for years. But that is the problem is that my body is now addicted to it. I've managed to cut back the dosage to where I take only half a pill each day and it works. But every time I've tried to ween lower than that the heartburn comes back heavily. It's difficult for me to rate this product. I can't slam it because it does work....and it does say not to use longer than 14 days...but the manufacturer knows damn well people will take it daily and even doctors will tell you to do so.

I just wish I wasn't hooked on this. It's expensive and I'd do anything to be rid of it. I don't see how it can be healthy in the long run...even though I now just take half a pill. So...what to say..no heartburn at all...but seemingly addicted for life. You make the call.

It's also quite expensive and the generics DO NOT work the same...even though I am normally a supporter of most generic products. Damn you Prilosec OTC....but also thank you. At first you stopped me from popping tons of TUMS and Pepcid AC's all day...but now I feel that you are the problem and not heartburn itself.
Out of no where, I was starting to get a burning in my throat. I didn't think anything of it, until reoccurred many times. It was then that I recognized the symptoms of an issue I had many years ago. At first I thought it was just an episode of single episode of heart burn, but then the symptoms continued, and I knew it was Acid reflux and I needed to do something ASAP.

Years ago, when i had this problem, my Physician had to try a myriad of prescription medicines to get this issue resolved. In the long run, I had ended up on over the counter Prilosec. So this time when my symptoms returned out of no where, I ordered my old faithful friend, Prilosec.

Although the Prilosec directions indicate this is not intended for intended for the immediate relief of heartburn, and that you need to take it over several weeks, as it needs time to work (at least a full day), I felt better in a matter of hours! This stuff works.

If you are suffering a similar problem, i recommend you try this product.
on March 30, 2015
I took one a day for 14 days (the longest period they recommend safely, then off the product for a four month "drug holiday") and it not only stopped my indigestion and acid reflux (which was causing scary atrial fibrillation episodes), but it seemed to "reset" my digestive system so I didn't get acid indigestion or reflux AFTER going off it. I've been off it now for over a month, and I feel great. As a result, I've programmed a recurring schedule into my iPhone calendar, so I remember to go back on it in June. (It might be three months, I can't remember, but check the label and program your calendar accordingly.)

So remember, it's two weeks on, three or four months off (not sure which one without the box in front of me), two weeks on, four three to months off, and so on. Use a calendar to keep track. If I get to the third or fourth month and still don't have symptoms, I'll reset the calendar and wait until I do have symptoms again (if ever). This package I purchased is enough for three cycles of use (two weeks on, three to four months off, repeat for two additional cycles). That's because you take 14 (one a day) which is two weeks, go off, and repeat the cycle twice more. That's 14 x 3 = 42, which is the number of tablets in this 42 tablet package.

I did some research and it's dangerous to go longer than two weeks without giving your body a rest! In the interim, your digestive system seems to reset, so you get the benefits as the drug remains in your system supposedly for months! My experience is bearing that out so far.

For those who use Boniva for bone loss, Prilosec works on a similar concept. In the case of Boniva, you ideally take it for a year, then go 2-3 years off, then take it for another year, although some claim they've been on it for 3-7 years, which sounds kind of scary to me! (The off stage is called a "drug holiday" by some professionals, and lets your body regenerate while the drug lingers in your body, in the case of Boniva, apparently in the bones, where it continues to build bone.) Whereas with Prilosec, the cycle is shorter, 2 weeks, then three to four months. I'm hoping I don't have to take it again. (With Boniva, there are traces working in the bones for a few years, I read somewhere, and I'm guessing this is how Prilosec continues to work for months after taking it for two weeks.)

Now here's the thing, if you take it too long without going off it, you stress your liver and kidneys! There are potential consequences, such as liver damage and failure, kidney issues, etc., and I don't want to be on kidney dialysis or get a liver transplant so I'm meticulous about using this properly for just two weeks at a time! I was horrified to read in Amazon reviews that some were taking it for two years on a doctor's order. This blows my mind. I really respect the power of drugs and how they work to benefit the body, and how misuse can backfire. I also don't listen to my doctor if they contradict clear instructions from the manufacturer (but I never tell my doctor I'm not listening to them in that case). :-)

I highly recommend Prilosec!
on June 22, 2008
I started using prilosec for severe acid reflux a couple of years ago as a preventive after years of treating symptoms with other drugs like Tagamet. Those drugs worked fine, but I wanted to prevent reflux all the time without having to plan ahead.

At the time, I experienced reflux heartburn at least four nights per week. Not only was it interfering with my sleep and happiness, it had burned my esophagus to the point where I was experiencing "hanging" food -- rough pieces of food hanging up on the scar tissue in the esophagus, which caused discomfort and occasional vomiting. In addition, certain strong liquids, such as neat whiskey, which I greatly enjoy, burned so much going down that I had to stop drinking them.

Two years later, after steady daily use of Prilosec, I do not experience any reflux symptoms. Not only that, my esophagus has healed almost completely. I very rarely have a food hang-up episode (maybe twice a year), and I'm able to eat and drink anything I want without concern about reflux heartburn.

Although the package says to use for a 14-day cycle, my gastro doc told me not to worry about that and use it as long as it works for me. So far, I've had no side effects. It's possible there could be some minor or major issue from using this for years and years, but it has literally changed my life. I have to say it's worth the risk, and my doc thinks so too.
on August 15, 2015
I recently just started taking Prilosec as I've been dealing with extreme reflux at night, indicative of GERD. These instances typically caused me to throw up violently and this would happen 4-5 times a month on average to the point of losing my voice and bruising ribs. I frequently took Zantac but i found that it didn't always help so after doing some research, I decided to give Prilosec a try. It's been a week and no episodes despite having one about 3 days prior to receiving Prilosec. I've been able to eat spicy and acidic foods again without any reflux at night. I've now been able to slowly reintroduce food that I stopped evening for dinner due to the reflux. The only tiny issue I had was on days 3-4 in which my stomach felt off and I got a little nauseous for a few hours. Instead of feeling acidic, my stomach felt too basic but I got through it and have been doing well since.

***Update***
I've been using Prilosec for quite a few months now and it has changed my life. I used to throw up at least once every two weeks, if not once a week due to acid reflux. That's not the case anymore. However, I've learned that taking one pill every day is too much for my body. I now end up taking one pill every 5-7 days, depending on how my stomach feels.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2005
As my acid reflux worsened over the years, I made the usual progression from antacid tablets, to Pepcid AC, and eventually to prescription medications like Prevacid and Nexium. Prevacid works great but it still requires a prescription and Nexium caused side effects in me. Once Prilosec was offered over the counter I gave it a try and was very impressed. After a week or two of taking it every day, I was able to decrease the dosage to the point where I only take it as needed now. Once I feel heartburn starting, or I eat something guaranteed to give me heartburn, I just take one of these and its gone in about 30 minutes...and when I say gone I mean gone for 10-12 hours.

I highly recommend this product to anyone who suffers acid reflux or chronic heartburn.
on November 6, 2012
I lived most of my life with acid indigestion throughout the 90s. Back then I worked in a foreign land where reliable Doctors weren't readily available. I didn't trust many of the local medical professionals based on some of the hospital conditions I've witnessed overseas. I was once in a hospital waiting room to see a local Doctor for a case of Strep Throat. There was blood smears on the sink, walls, floor, etc., garbage on the floor and the overall hospital cleanliness was less than questionable. So.. I learned to deal with the pain of acid indigestion, and deal with it I did.

Fast forward to the year 2000. I returned home for a well deserved break. With a new job, I took a short work related trip to Germany with a couple of collegues. One morning after arriving at work, I drank a small bottle of store bought water. The unexpected and resulting burn from simply drinking a bottle of plain water was excruciating as stomach acid flushed up my esophagus and into my throat, as it folded me over in pain. This was undoubtedly the worst indigestion of my life thus far, but fortunately I was in good company. One of my co-workers unbeknownst to me, was married to a Nuclear Nurse. He witnessed my reaction to the water and advised me that it was time to see a Doctor. He called his wife later that night and explained what he had seen. She then gave me a referral for a specialist back home.

I quickly scheduled an appointment with my new Gastroenterologist. After our first meeting I learned that acid indigestion was now referred to as GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) and the Doctor scheduled me for an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy for the first time in my life. After the procedure was complete, he had very disturbing news for me. Due to the fact that I had waited so long to see a Doctor (mainly because I never took enough time off from work to do so), he diagnosed me with a condition known as Barretts Esophagus. This means there's massive scar tissue on the inside lining of my esophagus thats pre-cancerous. This must be monitored each year to insure that it has not developed cancerous tumors. This condition was caused as the result of my esophagus being eroded by stomach acid after several years.

Caught early enough GERD can be treated. Prilosec prescription strength medication was the treatment at that time. I took the notorious "Little Purple Pill" as it was commonly referred on television for several years. Subsequently its patent expired and it was taken from the Pharmacists shelf as a prescription drug and relegated to the aisle as a OTC generic drug next to Alka Seltzer and Maalox. In it's heyday the prescription Purple Pill did in fact control the overactive proton pumps that produced way to much acid and made my life a living hell. Prilosec OTC is still on my purchase list when I stop by the local Pharmacy. Originally marketed by AstraZenica as Prilosec, it's patent expired in 2001. Prilosec OTC is basically the same pill but reformulated to allow Proctor & Gamble to maximize profits on the generic form. The new gold standard is Nexium which is still marketed by AstraZenica.

I'm not suggesting that Prilosec OTC or any other drug is good for you, prescription or otherwise. In my humble opinion Americans to a large degree are over medicated by chemicals, when in some situations a more natural approach should be rendered. Sometimes you just have to rely on Science, which in this case allows me to live my life without pain. I'm well aware that this drug has its own issues but it works for my need.

If you have gastrointestinal problems, do yourself a favor and get it checked as soon as possible by your Physician. GERD can be controlled, and if treated early it won't progress into something far worse. Prilosec OTC is not a drug for quick antacid relief such as Rolaids or Tums. It should be taken approximately three days for sustained relief.

Please rate this review if you find it helpful.