5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick and Easy Jump to Longterm Primal Living
Published on October 12, 2011 by Dan Sherman

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concepts
Published on December 30, 2011 by Bob Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concepts, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan (Paperback)
Overall I think Mark Sisson did a good job putting this book together and supporting his arguments, but the actual blueprint is a stretch I think for the mere mortal to follow. Most of us with jobs and families will have a hard time creating the "zen-like" environment that Mark describes. I would love to wake up with the sun light, drift off to sleep with calming sounds, and workout at the beach, but that just isn't reality. Most of us have a job that requires us to be up before the sun (especially in the winter), and by the time we return home to family and responsibilities, just getting a few minutes peace is miracle. Not that I discount the theories/concepts listed, but I was hoping that the transformation would take in to account, most of us don't have the flexibility in our schedule that Mark seems to have. As for the diet, I didn't find it to hard to make the adjustment, but it does take some focus and discipline to maintain. I will definitely try to keep the principles of this book, but the execution will likely adjust to my current reality.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, November 16, 2011
If you are familiar with his previous books or the website, there is no need to buy this book. It is good for a starter or someone that needs step by step instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick and Easy Jump to Longterm Primal Living, October 12, 2011
Dan Sherman (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have been a big fan of Mark Sisson and his very sensible, well-reasoned, and comprehensive approach to living our lives so that they more closely align with the way our bodies were meant to be -- good food, adequate sleep, ongoing moderate exercise with occasional intense spikes, and intermittent fasting . His basic book (Primal Blueprint) is very easy to read and his website (Mark's Daily Apple)continuously provides information on a very wide range of topics. What I like about Mark's approach is that it seems to be based on good science (he has a degree in biology) and really isn't extreme -- his approach to lifestyle is that we make a number of mostly small changes most of the time.

There really is not much new in the book if you have read "The Primal Blueprint" or delved into Mark's website, but it is organized in very easy to follow sections that tell you about various things you need to do to become primal and then concludes with the 21-day plan, i.e., the 3-4 specific things you should do each day over 3 weeks. This really is not a one-time, three-week program though but the roadmap to transition to some long term lifestyle changes that bring our bodies and routines back to where we have been for most of our specie's existence (with room for the occasional dessert!).

I would highly recommend this book if you want a clear guide to how to shift to a primal lifestyle (you will feel better for the effort!) or want to help someone else easily adopt the primal lifestyle. It is easy to read and quite comprehensive, though you can always go to the "Primal Blueprint" or better yet I think Mark's website for more information.

One of the rare books I would give 6 stars to, though mostly for the excellent content!

PS I personally have done well at age 50+ by going primal and losing (and keeping off) some weight, getting stronger with fewer trips to the gym, and developing a lipid profile which my internist says is one of the best he has ever seen (good cholesterol consistently close to 100) and going from possible pre-hypertension to a consistent 110/70 blood pressure reading. All the while enjoying great food like buffalo burgers, loads of vegetables, eggs, nuts, good chocolate, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok...but the first book is better, February 9, 2012
I read both books from Sisson and I have to say, if you read the first one, this one is useless...all the information are just a repetition.
If you are new to the Primal approach, then I still would suggest you buy the first book because here it skips all the fundamental reasons behind the Primal lifestyle...
I got it and I would buy it again only so that I can lend it to friends who already know what I am in to, but they just want guidelines on what to eat and what to do...

4.0 out of 5 stars Short verision of Primal Blueprint, December 30, 2011
CC RIDER (LOS ANGELES, CALIF.) - See all my reviews
It is the Primal Blueprint in a cut down version with all the basic information you need to know to get started and with no fluff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer I've been looking for, January 15, 2013
My friends and family would always comment on how healthy and diverse the foods in my house were. Everything was organic or whole grain and definitely low fat. We ate very little meat. I always believed that I was eating correctly but could not reconcile this ''perfect" pantry with my oversized and tired body. I was always exhausted, irritable, dark circles under my eyes, very dry skin, and had aches and pains I couldn't explain. My osteopathic doctor said I needed more sleep - but I slept all the time. Reading Primal Blueprint and doing some research on food allergies really set off a light bulb moment for me. How on earth could I be healthy when I could possibly be allergic to most of what I'm eating? I did my own test for several weeks and would 'eat clean' for a few days and then eat one legume or grain product. I noticed how each food made me feel. Guess what? My body does not like soy at all. Or peanuts. Or most legumes and wheat based foods. I found my answer and Primal Blueprint has helped me transition into the way I will be eating for the rest of my life. I'm on day 14 of eating primal and have lost 10 pounds. My skin looks better and I feel like a different person. I love my daily meditation. I have to work in proper weight training exercise and just ordered some DVDs and weights to use at home. I'm super excited and looking forward to going back to my doctor and explaining why he was wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings it all together!, June 24, 2012
A few years back I read The Primal Blueprint. I loved the concept but struggled in implementing the concepts and kept trying off and on. This book put together the finishing touches. It is a synthesis of the material and what makes it amazing is that the day by day process of the challenge is easy to implement. Each day as you progress, you have tasks to perform, and you track and record food, exercise, and lifestyle changes.

Mark Sisson has over 34,000 followers on twitter and even more follow his blog Mark's Daily Apple. Many attest to the success of Primal Living. And I have been a fan of Mark's for a while, but just was not hitting the 80/20 - I was closer to 50/50. The book helped me make it more consistent.

If you have tried giving paleo or primal a try and have struggled, this book is for you. If you have been thinking about it trying it, it's an excellent tool to move from an SAD, Standard American Diet, to being a fat burning paleo machine. If you are already living the Grok lifestyle, going through the 21 days of exercises will help you take it to the next level.

The book was exactly what I needed and I am sure it will be a great resource for you in making the lifestyle changes you're looking to make.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Rehash of The Primal Bluprint, October 19, 2011
I love the primal lifestyle and the leadership Mark Sisson has shown on the topic. He has helped thousands of people change their lives to the only logical way of eating and exercising. That being said, while The Primal Blueprint may be one of the top 10 diet/lifestyle books ever made, and I wholeheartedly recommend it, this latest addition is simply a rahash of what is in that book with a few success stories thrown in. Actually it is a streamlined version, so I would recommend you simply get the real thing. You see this with many successful authors. They offer an extra book that seems to be poorly concieved and perhaps wishes to take advantage of the craze they created. Is it for quick cash? I hope not, but one can't help but wonder if that is indeed it. I gave it two stars only out of respect for the lifestyle. Final words===skip it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point for beginners, October 13, 2011
This is a great starting point for those interested in living more primally - cutting out grains and sugars, moving naturally, and realigning your activities to more closely match the ways in which we evolved to live. I've been working towards becoming more primal for over a year now, and feel enormously better with each stride I take towards following this program more completely. And this book is a simple, inspiring, straight-to-the-point guide showing you exactly what steps to take to feel better fast.

This would be good if you're new to the primal way of life and want to reinforce some of the things you're learning, or get a good overview of it all in one place. I also loved the 21-day guide at the end that shows you how to implement all of the changes for a 21-day transformation. It's about 50 pages at the end of the book and is helpful if you're actually hoping to have a solid plan for making a huge change in less than one month.

This book covers similar information to what is found in The Primal Blueprint, just in a totally different style - much more "how-to" than "why-to". Mark tries in this book to summarize the action points and get you energized to DO this stuff. You know better what you'll find most helpful to start with - the in-depth descriptions of the reasoning behind this lifestyle in The Primal Blueprint, or just the "jump right in" details of how to get started that are in this book. There's a lot of overlap between the books, and I'd guess that anyone who has lived primally for more than six months only needs one of the two. I love the stories in The Primal Blueprint, but the photos and diagrams in this 21-Day book are great for that initial getting-on-track phase, so I'm torn as to which is better.

The one quibble I have with this new book is a tiny one. The author uses terms like PUFA and CAFO a lot, and forgets to periodically remind us what those terms stand for. He must have introduced the terms in the front of the book and not returned to them. I know what they mean since I've been primal a while, but always forget exactly what they stand for. Hopefully he can fix that little oversight in future editions. (You can always go to Marks Daily Apple, his very active blog, to get refreshed on any terminology he uses.)

This book, and The Primal Blueprint, both (probably intentionally) lack much inspiration about what to actually cook once he's cleared your cabinets of junk. Only so many salads and omelets one can eat. If you're new to this and are going to commit to a 21-day transformation, definitely get his Quick and Easy Primal cookbook at the same time, since it has a ton of delicious food that you can make fast, so this whole primal thing will seem do-able. On the flip side, I would avoid his first cookbook until you've completed the 21 day transformation, as it has absolutely marvelous recipes for things like primal pancakes and muffins, that you honestly shouldn't be eating much of during the first few weeks anyway (contain natural sugars and are high-calorie). The Quick and Easy cookbook has more of the type of food you will be eating everyday.

Overall, this is a colorful, easy-to-browse book that will be of great benefit to anyone getting started on the primal path.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS WORKS, October 12, 2011
M. Foster (Lafayette, LA) - See all my reviews
I started eating "primal" in may '11 @ 242 lbs. Today in Oct '11 I'm @ 200 lbs. More importantly I eat ALOT and stay full. I can skip meals with no problems and don't need to always have "snacks" around. It is just a great easy to understand eating philosophy that changes your body composition. I have gone from 40 inch waste down to a 34 inch waist and am still filling out a XL shirt. So I haven't just "deflated" I've lost fat and maintained my manly muscle. My goal is to be at my 19 year old weight of 170 by April.
I follow the exercise routine about 50% of the time, which I'd like to improve, and I'm following the eating plan about 85% of the time. I sprint at the local college track on mondays (5x100), walk on tuesdays and thursdays, do a body weight workout at home wednesday and friday morning that takes 25 min max. and I try and do a long hike on the weekends. I easily lose 3lbs on my good weeks and on the weeks I cheat and don't excercise my weight holds steady. Pretty awesome....but the best part is all the compliments!!!!

$22.95 $15.46