Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

Flavor: Chocolate CoconutSize: 30 ServingsChange

on February 13, 2013
I am new to the world of protein/meal replacement shakes. Over the years I have tried a few different "shakes" but this is the first one I have ended up using on a regular basis.

Let me back up. For about 6 months I have been trying to eat a primal/paleo diet. A big part of the diet is cooking bigger meals than needed and then eating the leftovers for breakfast and lunch. It makes perfect sense and is a good use of time but as it turns out, I am not the cook every night kind of guy. This leaves my fridge a little sparse on occasion and so I decided I would like something to eat in the mornings that I am in a hurry and don't have leftovers to eat. I knew a "shake" of sorts had potential but which one? I searched and read reviews, and I learned that most are aimed at the wrong crowd. They are either fat free or include lots of stuff that I honestly would rather not eat. Of course I read Mark's Daily Apple on occasion and so I knew he started a line of supplements, including a shake. I read his concept behind the shake mix, as well as his breakdown of ingredients, and I decided to try Primal Fuel.

I opted for the chocolate and have to say, it is pretty good. It is not a thik and creamy milkshake by any means, not that is should be, but it is very drinkable, even tasty. Most mornings I grab a blender bottle, toss in 2 scoops, add about 10oz of water, shake and drink. Some mornings I add something else, lately it has been about half a shot of purple carrot juice. I do not have a blender or I would experiment with avocado, berries, almond butter or even spinach. I am sure I will get there eventually.

A few of my friends and family have been curious and they have tried it. My parents both agreed it was good. My girlfriend says it brings back memories of protein shakes in college, not good memories, but she does drink it on occasion with few complaints.

Some will say the serving size is too small, and I agree, but I have looked at other shakes and it seems on par with them. Others may complain about the cost but they will have to ask themselves, do I actually care what is in the shake mix? If so, then they will likely do as I have and try Primal Fuel.
11 comment31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
It seems no higher a quality product than something half its cost. He has some good ideas, but his marketing is even better. At this price every ingredient should be Organic and GMO free. Yet another example of people buying a symbol vs. just eating like the caveman.
55 comments42 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
I really like this protein shake mix. I got it because I've been playing with a primal diet, experimenting with it a bit. The taste of this is fantastic, not too sweet, very satisfying. I know that the ingredients are very healthy. In looking at other protein shake mixes, they all have ingredients I wouldn't want to ingest.

The only thing I would warn people about is the portion size. This contains 30 servings - a serving is two scoops of the primal fuel in 8-10 oz of water. If you are using this as a meal replacement, I think for most people one serving will not be enough, since it's a little less than 200 calories for the chocolate shake. This may be true of all these sports nutrition type drinks. I don't know.

So if you're using it as a meal replacement, this may be only 15 servings per container for you.
11 comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2015
I am huge fan of Mark's Daily Apple. From his thoughts on eating real food and avoiding grains, to his exercise, stress, and nature connectedness philosophies... I could not agree more. I am happier and healthier because of him. I have been in a funk lately with packing a lunch for work and thought I might try some protein shakes for a few weeks just change up the routine a bit. My first instinct was to buy his product because I know how many additives and ridiculous things are in most protein shakes. I'll admit, I like the taste and 2 scoops was enough to make me full, but guar gum, cane juice, and (especially) maltodextrin.... really? Not primal. I just bought some Naked Whey (whey is the only ingredient, thank you) and mix it with some coconut milk for the fat and a little cold pressed coffee and water... delicious, primal, cheap.
on June 5, 2014
I think this is quality stuff. The ingredients are good and it tastes great. If you like sweeter tastes, it won't work for you. If you want a good quality protein drink that you can drink instead of a meal, this is a good one. I like the chocolate/coconut. I haven't tried the vanilla yet but I'm a chocolate person anyway :-)
on June 12, 2013
I tried this product for the first time after reading Mark Sisson's book Primal Blueprint, which convinced me to go to a modified primal/paleo diet. I haven't tried a lot of protein shakes in general, but this one is very tasty. I often drink one of these instead of making breakfast even when I have time because it is so good. I mix mine with almond milk and need to make 1.5 servings for an adequate meal.

I see that a lot of reviewers say that it mixes smoothly, but I actually find it quite lumpy, even after 2+ minutes of vigorous shaking...it's not a big deal for me though.

My only complaint is the expense. I will probably try some less expensive brands before re-ordering. If you do want to stick with it, it's a better deal to order directly from his website and get free shipping with autoship.

By the way, if you're considering the primal lifestyle, it really works.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2013
This is great stuff. A bit expensive but then again I don't use it everyday. It's really a high protein meal replacement, it has protein , fat and amino acids profile. The chocolate has a nice undertone of coconut.
on February 21, 2013
Primal Fuel makes the best tasting, appetite sustaining, delicious protein/meal replacement shake out there! I actually look forward to drinking them every single day!
on April 2, 2014
These are the best meal replacements I've ever had. Here's why:
- Ingredients, no artificial anything
- Mixability, mixed great in a shaker or even with just a spoon in a glass
- Taste, I've bought both of the flavors and don't know that I have a preference taste wise, but they are both great without that fake chemical aftertaste like a lot of shakes
- Fat, it has healthy coconut based fat. Most fat free shakes load up on sugar or sugar substitutes which spike insulin and don't make you feel very satisfied. I can drink one of these and feel satisfied for far longer than 190 calories should allow.

As far as the price, people complain it's too high. Compared to what? Other inferior shakes? A trip to McDonald's? At less than $3 a serving I don't know how anyone could expect this quality for less.
on November 7, 2013
It tastes great and fills me up for a long time. I'd give it 5 stars if they could take the sugar out of it.

See 1 answered question