4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly nice set! Pros Definitely Outweigh the Cons.
Published 11 months ago by Racine

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality
This tea pot is made out of very thin glass. It was definitely not designed to last long. The tea it self is no where as pretty as shown on pictures when it opens up when brewed. Overall, this is not a product I would suggest for anyone to buy.
Published 9 months ago by Jessica

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly nice set! Pros Definitely Outweigh the Cons., January 11, 2014
Racine (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Primula 40-Ounce Blossom Glass Teapot with Loose Tea Infuser and 12 Flowering Green Teas (Kitchen)
Not long ago I turned over a new leaf, so to speak, trading in my beloved morning java for tea and I haven't looked back. Reading about the advantages of loose leaf teas over the tea bags piqued my curiosity about what kind of teapot I should have. I researched dozens of reviews for many different kinds and brands of teapot, and came up with a list of features I wanted my perfect teapot to have, but unfortunately, nothing out there perfectly matched, so I set my teapot quest aside for the time-being. Flash forward to this Christmas, and I received this nice little set from my dear husband and children- he happened across it at Shopko and thought I would like it, so he picked it up as a Christmas present. It has been one of the best gifts I've gotten since my digital camera!

No, it doesn't have ALL the features I wished for, but it does have a lot of them. Here are the pros & cons, and the bottom line is, I would buy it again, and would proudly present it as a gift to anyone who loves tea.

PROS:
* Large pot. Able to brew enough tea for up to 5 people (8 oz each), or about 2 1/2 large cups for me to drink through the day (one of my wishes)
* Perfect for enjoying flowering teas (one of my wishes). The whole family can watch the pod blossom and unfurl. My kids love it!
* Glass infuser works well and hasn't clogged up even with fine loose tea (although some does get stuck in the slits, it doesn't interfere with the infusion process). I was worried about the glass infusers because of the slits (so one of my wishes was for a stainless infuser- but I've since heard testimonies that glass brings out the purest flavor, and it has worked quite well so far, to my pleasant surprise).
* The lid sits nicely on the pot, both with or without the infuser (one of my wishes).
* Overall sturdy teapot, and the handle is thick and substantial (one of my wishes).
* Pleasing, classical teapot appearance (one of my wishes).
* The Primula flowering teas are quite fresh and enjoyable, with or without milk or sweetener. Even my kids like them. They are mellow, sweet, and gentle- no astringency noticed. The Green Tea with Jasmine that came with the set is wonderful- our family enjoyed it tonight with warm homemade corn bread before bedtime and it was quite a hit! Remember to filter your water or use spring water because chlorine really messes up the flavor of tea! My husband also bought the Variety canister of flowering teas (Pomegranate, Jasmine, Vanilla, and Acai Berry), which I recommend. We especially like the Green Tea with Vanilla flavor. Each tea flower is individually packaged in a vacuum sealed foil bag with a picture of the flowering tea on the outside (they don't always match up with the image).
* Microwave safe.
* Dishwasher safe.
* It's simply a lovely presentation overall.
* Well-packaged set. Comes in a colorful box with the image shown above on both faces; has information on the ends & top about the pot and how to brew flowering teas; includes a full-color brochure for ordering more teas and products; and the pot is smartly cushioned to prevent breakage.
* Makes a very nice gift.
* Flowering teas can be infused twice, or possibly even three times if used within 24 hours. The discarded tea is then great for compost or indoor flower pots, and can also be used for skin compresses for puffy eyes, insect bites, and more!

CONS:
* Best for two or more cups at a time. The glass infuser doesn't sit close enough to the bottom for you to brew up just one or two servings as effectively. Works best if you at least fill the pot up half way, that way the tea can move freely in a large enough volume of water to get the best extraction. In fact, I suggest making 3 or more cups at a time and stirring the loose tea as it steeps. Get a smaller pot if you only wish to make one or two cups at a time.
* Yes, the spout does drip, IF you pour with the lid on, so I lift the lid as I pour, which takes care of that.
* Yes, the lid does get hot to the touch, but only for the first several minutes after brewing. I have found it generally not too hot to the touch most of the time, but if it is, then I just use a dry dish cloth. No big deal!
* Yes, tea does get stuck in the slits of the infuser, but it doesn't interfere with the process. I can "floss" it out using the corners of an index card to clean it.
* Yes, the infuser is fragile, so I do not set it in the sink or on a counter. When I remove it from the tea pot I gently set it in a mug that I have ready. When it's time to clean it, I scoop out the used tea (into a potted plant for nutrients), rinse it, "floss" the slits, then carefully set it in my dish rack upside down.
* As a note, the package states that it is stovetop safe, but I personally would not use it this way. I brew up my water in a kettle on the stove and pour it into the pot. No big deal!
* Unfortunately, like so many items, this is made in China... but then again, that's where tea comes from. What are ya gonna do?
* The flower is not as big in this pot as it looks in the picture. It is about a third of that size in reality, but it's still pretty to watch.

Overall, for me, the pros outweighed the cons 2 to 1, so I am giving the set 4 stars because I am very happy with it overall, it made a wonderful gift, and it serves my general purposes extremely well, and I think you would agree as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, March 24, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars its a cool concept, looks great, but the glass is sooooooooooo incredibly thin., March 12, 2014
As mentioned in the title this teapot looks really cool, but the down side is that you have to heat up the water in another dish, or kettle, then pour it into this one.
The glass itself is very thin.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorite purchases ... ever!, November 29, 2013
Donna Chagnon (Pembroke, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I love, love, love mine and have used it many times throughout the last 5+ years.. Recently the lid on the teapot broke when I was washing it. Is it possible to get a new lid? Love this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made!, September 11, 2013
Alice (san jose cal) - See all my reviews
This tea pot is not worth the price, the infuser is horrible it's carved and there was pieces of shaved glass inside of it!! And also came with a crack in it! Not worth the shipping cost to send it back. Save your money people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems very fragile and easy to break., March 10, 2014
The glass the teapot was made of seems to be very fragile. I expected it to be heavier.
Small.
Lid hard to grasp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea AND a show!, February 22, 2014
Perfect! Especially recommended for having tea and conversation with the friends - you have show and tea at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primula Tea set, January 26, 2014
I received this set for Christmas from a friend. I loved it so much I bought one and had it sent to my daughter as a surprise. She loves it too,

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift set, January 22, 2014
I love the idea of a flower blooming tea. It's such a nice gift for anyone who are tea drinkers. I want one for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely way to serve tea, December 30, 2013
I purchased this Primula teapot and flowering tea set from Woot when they had it on special a couple weeks ago. (By the time I paid for shipping it was almost the same price as Amazon with Prime and it took a lot longer to get here.) The teapot is beautiful and more sturdy than it looks in the photo. We will be very careful with the handle though because while it is the perfect shape for our hands, I could see hitting it against something by accident and breaking it. The clear teapot is the perfect shape and size for use with the flowering tea. The pods have plenty of room to open and they fill a good portion of the pot.

There is a nice selection of 12 flowering teas and while some aren't quite as brightly colored as shown in the pictures, they are all interesting and lovely. It's definitely a gimmicky thing, at over a dollar per pod they aren't something we would use every day. They will be saved for the times when we're sitting around the table after a meal or maybe they will inspire us to start a new ritual of afternoon tea on weekends. I won't use the pods when just grabbing a cup of tea to curl up with on the sofa with a book. I'll use the tea infused and loose tea or tea bags for that.

The flavor of the flowering tea is surprisingly good. It's green tea with fresh jasmine blossoms. The Jasmine Tea I've had in the past had only a faint jasmine flavor. These taste like a jasmine bloom smells, very fragrant. When I first smelled the tea I was afraid they had added some sort of perfume to the tea, but after tasting it I could tell that isn't the case. It's a clear, clean green tea flavor with just the scent of jasmine. It is probably the blossoms that give the rather strong fragrance. At any rate, it tastes very good. And one flowering pod will make a full pot of tea plus a second pot that is just a little weaker, but still very good.

This set would make a very nice gift when you are looking for something a little bit unique.