5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT "DESIGN FLAW" (but not worth knocking off a star)
Published 5 months ago by Diane Kistner

3.0 out of 5 stars It does infuse water, but...
Published 4 months ago by Shevi

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT "DESIGN FLAW" (but not worth knocking off a star), May 25, 2014
This review is from: Primula Today Shake and Infuse Pitcher, 3-Quart, Red (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
IMPORTANT: The instructions on how to use and get into this pitcher are INSIDE the infuser core, which at first appears to be hopelessly stuck inside the lid of the pitcher and defective. It's not. It's just that the twisting you do to loosen the infuser (which most people will instinctively try to do) has nothing whatsoever to do with removing it; it only allows you to seal off whatever solids you have inside so it doesn't leak out into the surrounding liquid when the pitcher is shaken. So when you get this pitcher, you may not be able to figure out how it works. Like me, you may think you need to apply more pressure to unscrew the infuser from the lid, and this could break it. I had to read a lot of reviews before understanding that you press the not-very-obvious button on the handle to open up the lid that reveals the infuser cylinder through the top. Then you just grab the infuser by its nifty little handle and pull it out.

All that said, I really LOVE this pitcher! It holds a lot of liquid (three quarts), and it really does fit in my refrigerator door, on the bottom shelf, which has more headspace in my fridge than the higher (unadjustable) shelves do. And it really doesn't leak. You are cautioned not to try to shake the pitcher by holding just the handle; you put one hand on the bottom of the pitcher and one on the top red handle and shake, shake, shake. I couldn't believe it didn't leak when I did this! It's not totally clear what constitutes open and closed on the pitcher, or at least my old eyes couldn't see it very well. But you figure it out.

The first thing I did with my pitcher when it came was use it to finally make a can of frozen orange juice I've had in the freezer with nothing big enough to make it in. I just slid the starting-to-soften frozen OJ into the pitcher down through the infuser part, added water, and shook it until it was mixed. The infuser helped break it up and mix it. I have yet to try herbal infused water, but there are some recipes included (on the paper inside the infuser), some using cucumber and herbs, that I want to try. (There's even an alcoholic beverage recipe.) I also make water kefir by the half gallon, and I'm thinking this BPA-free pitcher may be good for refrigerating the finished batches and infusing them with all kinds of good-for-me things. You're not supposed to pour boiling water into it, so it's not going to be good for making ice tea, but once the tea cools it'll be great for tea. I haven't seen them yet on Amazon, but the instructions in the pitcher say this pitcher is compatible with all of their pitcher inserts, one of which is an ice core insert.

Although all pieces of this pitcher are top-rack dishwasher safe, they recommend handwashing the pitcher itself. I expect this is because the pitcher is too tall to fit upside down on the top rack of most dishwashers, and to wash it lying sideways might not get it as clean as handwashing would. You'd have to wash it by hand to get any dishwasher detergent residue or food particles out of it anyway, so why not just go on and handwash it?

Anyway, I like it. I will use it every day. I may have to get another one, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea to flavor your beverages, May 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good-sized, 3-Quart pitcher, with screw-on top. You unscrew the top a couple turns to allow it to pour. Up until now, the way I flavored my teas and water was just to drop lemons, limes, strawberries directly into the pitcher and let the lid's strainer do its job. This idea of putting the flavorings in a central strainer is another way to do it. I have a spearmint patch and I think filling the central infuser with the mint and pouring in the tea (or liquor, I suppose) would be a neater way of infusing that flavor. Berries would be another good idea as well, and I am reading about infusing rosemary and other herbs, which sounds interesting enough to try with this.

One thing that bothered me though -- there are no visible instructions (they are stuffed inside the strainer) and I could not figure out how to get that strainer out! I twisted it and pulled it from the lid and it would not come off. Well, come to find out there's a latch on the handle of the lid, and the center part of the lid flips up and you pull the strainer out through the top. Of course, the instructions inside the strainer tell you to do this. D'oh! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Infusion Pitcher Provides Several Summer Drink Choices, May 29, 2014
Emory Daniels (Westland, Michigan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In recent years we’ve noticed resorts we have stayed at have been serving vegetable or fruit-flavored water in containers of water using actual fruit or veggies.

In Scottsdale, Arizona, cucumber water was served because it was supposed to help you with the extreme heat and be good for digestion. In Steamboat Springs, Colorado, the clubhouse made available water with whole strawberries and lemons – very tasty and refreshing.

And so we decided to try naturally flavored water at home with an infusion picture. We chose the three-quart red Primula Today Shake and Infuse Pitcher made by Epoca, Inc. The infuser container in the center of the pitcher can be filled with fresh fruits, some vegetables, herbs or spices, or drink mixes. Then place in refrigerator and enjoy a tasty, healthy drink of water when desired. It is dishwasher safe, easy to clean, and fits in most refrigerator doors. The slats in the flavor are narrow enough to let the flavors pass into the water but keeps fruit chunks inside the infuser core.

Among the flavored water options you can make are strawberry, mint and lemon; apple, cinnamon water; mango ginger, strawberry lime, peach mint, and ginger orange infused water. All these are good choices for those wanting to lose weight. I am very pleased with this product and am looking flavored to a variety of healthy, tasty drinks this summer

3.0 out of 5 stars It does infuse water, but..., June 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, the lid issue: there's a tab on the handle on the lid that you have to press to unlock the lid, which lets you get things in and out of the infuser or remove or reinsert the infuser. There are pictures on the instructions inside the infuser that show how the lid flips open to let you access the infuser. Of course, that's a catch 22, because you have to access the infuser in order to see the clues that will show you how to access the infuser. The manufacturer needs to consider putting the instructions inside the jug, instead of inside the infuser.

I tested this infuser with strawberries, and after four hours of infusing in the refrigerator followed by careful shaking, it infused the water with the mildest strawberry flavor, which was pleasant enough. I also tried tea bags and sweetener, which worked better, but I think it came out weaker than sunshine tea (cold tea made from tea bags left in a glass or clear plastic pitcher resting on a windowsill with sunlight streaming in) would have in the same amount of time.

It's a nice enough, and the price is okay, but I think I'd rather have plain filtered water or sunshine tea made the old-fashioned way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pitcher, May 4, 2014
I really like this pitcher. I have some great new recipes for infused water and all have been delicious in this awesome pitcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making sangria., May 27, 2014
Monica (Des Moines, Iowa) - See all my reviews
I have made sangria in this pitcher several times and it does a great job. Easy to clean too. I gave one as a gift to a friend and she loves hers too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love this!, July 1, 2014
I just LOVE this! It gave me a new relationship with water!! I put strawberries and mint or lemon cucumber mint in it and its so tasted and refreshing! I don't normally give reviews on things but this is worth every penny. Much cheaper than it was at bed bath and beyond too! Getting one of these for my friends bdays!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shake and Infuse Pitcher is a puzzle to use; but once you get it right, it works, May 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pitcher is a great idea and I would have loved it if it worked easily. The problem is the infuser has to be manhandled to use successfully. Below are the specifics.

PROS

- I have a side-by-side 22.6 cu. ft. Frigidaire 22.6 and it fits in my fridge door.

- The infuser is removable.

- The package claims it's dishwasher safe. (I did not try this because I prefer to wash dishes by hand; therefore, a bottle brush is needed to clean the infuser if not using the dishwasher.)

- It's BPA free.

- There are 7 "water-infused" recipes and one white peach sangria recipe included on the paper insert.

- The product claims to be stain resistant but only time will tell that.

- The pitcher is water tight and safely shakeable only if you reassemble things just so. On my first few attempts I had a leak but that was because I locked the infuser notches into place incorrectly. My boyfriend tried it and had a different idea which worked.

CONS

- It's a 3 QT capacity if filled to the tip top but that is not possible if using the infuser. With the infuser I would not fill the pitcher to more than 2-1/2 QTs otherwise the liquid will spill over the top when inserting the infuser.

- Primula made a big mistake by not providing dis-assembly instructions or a picture of how to take this thing apart on the label on front. Instead it's like a puzzle. The instructions are in the infuser itself and you have to figure out how to get at it before using. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to take the unit apart. To dis-assemble just press the release knob on the handle, open the top, grasp the infuser and turn until the notches are showing in the opening, then grasp the infuser handle on the basket to pull out. To re-assemble just insert the infuser through the top, turn it in place, and snap the top shut. Getting the infuser to re-seat was VERY DIFFICULT. It kept re-seating it with the notches half in and half out of one channel. My boyfriend helped me with that one and now that the pitcher is broken in, it re-assembles easily.

- It cannot be used with boiling water; but this is usually expected for a plastic product so this is not a negative for me but it might be for others.

I decided to keep it simple and make lemonade by filling the infuser with cut lemons and adding water to the pitcher. After re-assembling the top, I then seated the infuser into the channel on the bottom of the pitcher and screwed the top in place until it was flush with the lip of the unit and the handle on the pitcher lined up with top's handle. There's actually a feeling that it's locking in place when those handles line up. I made sure the top was seated correctly and tried it several times; however, once I started to shake the pitcher, liquid leaked from the top. I then got my boyfriend involved who found out the infuser was not seated correctly. Once it was re-seated and put back, liquid did not leak out. To pour the liquid out, I just unscrewed the top halfway.

In summary, if the infuser was easier to assemble, I would have rated this 5 stars. The fact that it's possible to have leaks because of the difficulty of re-seating the infuser makes this annoying. However, once together this pitcher is excellent and does what it says.

Update June 1, 2014 - I've been using this for a little bit now and the plastic is not so difficult to work with anymore. As a result, I don't have to fuss with the assembly like I did previously. It is now easy to assemble this pitcher and use it without leaks. Therefore, I increased this to 4 stars. Once the kinks with the initial assembly are worked out and the plastic has softened, I actually love this product. My boyfriend is actually thinking of buying his daughter and himself one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just in time for summer, May 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love water naturally flavored with fruit and making it is easy with this pitcher. Sturdy with a tight fitting lid, you can shake the contents without drips or leaks. Easy disassemble and clean, it can also be used without the infuser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider Me A Convert, July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was my first experience with an infuser pitcher. I've been trying to cut the soda habit recently and have been drinking more water and lemonade, so this is the perfect item to give the water more flavor (and probably get more Vitamin C into me, too). I like this pitcher because it is large enough (3qt) to hold enough liquid to make it worthwhile using, yet it will fit on my refrigerator door. I like the fact that it is dishwasher safe and BPA-free - and that the manufacturer put that info right on the label (a previous product I reviewed from Amazon didn't even have the country of manufacture listed on the product).

I didn't have much of a problem figuring out how to open it, because I saw that button on the handle that opens up the center section, but I would suggest to the manufacturer that perhaps a secondary label on the device showing precisely how to open it would be helpful (having the instructions inside were somewhat redundant). The lid twist-seals nice and tight. It comes with an insert that contains a few recipes to get the user started. The infuser takes up the full length of the pitcher, so you can put in as little or as much fruit as you like. You can also remove the infuser and just use it as a regular pitcher. The plastic seems sturdy and well-designed, and it didn't have any odd plastic smell.

I like this product and I think that I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.