5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value

Published on May 29, 2012 by 123ABC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, September 30, 2009
Producer10 (Highland, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I admit I was a little hesitant to order this bike with the one bad review. I'm glad I ended up going through with the purchase. I'll admit the directions I was following weren't the greatest but the bike was really easy to put together. Then when I finished, I found an addendum with much better instructions in the box. Oops. Luckily I had figured it out correctly so everyyhing was fine. I admit I hate assembling things and I had no problems.

Anyway as far as performance, me and my two and a half year old son were very happy with it. I can't imagine the [...] LIke-a-bikes being much better than this one costing less then 1/3 the price. I was impressed with my son hopping on and pushing himself along with no problem. I would think he'll be lifting his feet soon and can see this being his favorite toy as we scoot around town. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone interested in getting his child to learn to ride a bike.

UPDATE Two years later - Originally wrote this review in September of 2009. Now that it's October of 2011 I thought I'd throw in an update. Still have the bike and it's in great shape other than a lot of wear on the tires which would still get a lot of miles on them if needed. Anyway as expected my son LOVED this bike and we would bike all over the neighborhood, on the local bike trail and down hills whenever we could find them. He did great on it and I was impressed with how fast he was able to balance himself on it and coast for several yards at a time. I decided to get a regular bike for him just after his fourth birthday early this spring. After about four minutes, he was pedaling the new bike like he'd been biking for years. Could have gotten him on it a lot earlier. We ended up letting his three year old friend borrow the Prince Lionheart bike. His friend rode it for a couple of weeks and then the training wheels came off his "other bike". They're both four now. Kind of neat to see a couple of four year olds riding bikes all over the neighborhood.

This balance bike has fond memories and we may just let other friends borrow it so they don't bother with useless training wheels. Training wheels don't help children get the sense of balance. This bike does.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed in the purchase, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I was really excited about getting a balance bike for my 3 year old son. I was either going to get the Strider brand bike or this one. I thought this one was cooler and since it was recommended for 2-5 year old children I thought it would fit my son - He isn't exactly the biggest 3 year old you've ever met but he is not smaller then the average 2 year old. Anyway, when I got the bike and put it together the seat looked awful high for him. I measure the seat height at the lowest setting to be between 14 and 14.5 inches from the ground. My sons inseam is ~ 12.75 inches. I ended up returning this bike and getting the Strider which has a seat that will adjust from 11 to 16 inches. I wish they would have just noted the limits of seat adjustment in the add for the prince lionheart bike. I measured them before packing the bike back up - they are ~14 - 16.5 inches.

Other then the seat issue the bike looks cool - the wheels and tires make it... The front fork is a bit looser then I would prefer but its not like the kid is gonna be going off any sweet jumps with the thing. Also the handle bars are not height adjustable - I wouldn't really foresee that as being a big issue - the child will probably be on a pedal bike before you would need to adjust the bars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than training wheels, March 1, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I was very excited when I ordered this bike and had high hopes. My son loved it but we only had the opportunity to ride it a few times. After a spill the steering arm broke away from the body of the bike. He is only 2 & 1/2 and weighs 35 lbs so I do not believe it was from excessive wear and tear. I have not yet contacted the manufacturer but will be doing so and plan to update this review. Depending on how the situation is handled I may be updating this review. Aside from the break it could be a great product and would get 4-5 stars. FYI, the break didn't cause the fall.

-Update: I contacted Prince Lionheart directly about the break and they are shipping me a replacement part with no hassles. Its nice when a business/manufacturer does the right thing. I do hope the break was a fluke. I will be adjusting my rating on the product. Great customer service!! There were reviews questioning the quality of the bike. The break aside I was impressed at the quality for the cost.

-My son still loves the bike and is learning to coast and balance well. The replacement part arrived promptly and without incident. We get so many comments and questions when we are riding at the park from curious and impressed parents. I am excited to get him on a big boy bike without training wheels. It should be an easy transition.

-Update: Wow, I wrote this a while ago. My son is now 5. When he transitioned to a big boy bike his biggest problem was learning how to pedal. That was the only reason he needed training wheels. After a month we took them off and went to the soccer field to learn to ride without the training wheels. My wife and I were a bit worried. We were shocked when he rode away from us without any problems or spills. Definitely a cool product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bike... better than the Skuut, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
Love this bike! We bought this after my 4 year old broke the handle bar on his Skuut. The Skuut has a weak dowel connection to the main neck and it only took one fall to snap the handle off, with no way repair. This bike has a solid single bar that seems much stronger. This bike also has fatter and more forgiving spoked wheels that make for a nicer ride. The Skuut tires were nearly impossible to inflate because of the solid wheel element. My son loves to take this on the dirt track and in the skate park and it has held up very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars My 2 Year Old Loves It!, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I got this for my son's 2nd birthday. He loves it even though he has not learned to balance on it yet. I suspect it won't be too long before he learns this. He loves to sit on it and push it around the house. I will be taking him outside to practice on it soon.

A couple of observations:

- Don't be tempted to push your child around on the bike when you first get them on it. They will want you to do this for them rather than balance themselves and learn to ride it without help.

- I had to drill a couple of new holes in the adjustable seat post to lower the seat one notch. The existing holes were too high. This bike would better be advertised for 3 and up to properly fit. I also had to remove the rear fender to lower the seat. It is easily done and easy to put back on with the one allen screw that holds it on.

- The front wheel doesn't free spin as well as the back because the bearings rub against the front forks. The rear wheel is pre-assembled when your receive it and there is a proper axel assembly there. The front wheel forks really needed a metal tube inside the wood forks that would contact the inner sleeve of the ball bearings on either side of the wheel to allow them to spin freely. I made a spacer out of 2 washers and 2 cut off ends of a spring that I happened to have laying around. I haven't seen any other reviewers complain of the front wheel bearing and I guess this step is not really necessary. If you wan't the front wheel to spin on its bearings freely just know that some modifications will be necessary.

Other than these two minor adjustments I really like the bike and do recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great larger balance bike, April 17, 2011
Craig Latzke (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
After LOTS of research we bought this "Prince Lionheart" balance bike for our daughter's 4th birthday (and a "Strider" balance bike for her smaller 2-year old sister - who is much too small for this one). The 4-year-old has a 12" bike (wheel size is how they measure kids bikes) from Wal-Mart with training wheels that she loved - largely for the Disney princess theme. I didn't think it was actually serving her well hence the balance bike. After opening it we explained what it was. She replied "I don't want a balance bike" and I proceeded to put it together. ;)

Later that day she was curious and began trying it out in our (carpeted) basement. When she felt ready a week or so later we took it outside. In the month since I don't think she has ridden her formerly-beloved 12" bike. She absolutely loves this thing, has a blast riding it, goes up and down steep hills, coasts/balances as long as she has momentum, and can hang out on the bike when stopping for rest, snacks, to chat, etc. She has yet to fall even once because she could easily right herself with her feet while learning to balance.

She could probably switch to the 12" traditional bike with training wheels off or raised way up. But except for achieving some milestone she'll hit eventually anyway, I don't see a reason to push that. This bike is perfect for her now and I imagine will be through this year (and will get a lot of use - they're out on the bike trail or neighborhood streets at least once pretty much every day).

The fun she is having, the increase in her mobility, the confidence she is gaining, the safety of using her feet, and the safety of not being perched up high (farther to fall) on a normal bike all make this a perfect bike. So much so that I couldn't bring myself to give it four stars, even with one negative: Barely any cushion on the seat - which was fixed by folding up a small towel and taping it over the seat (clear packaging tape).

Side story:
A relative visited for a few days with a 4-year-old boy who had ridden only tricycles before. He rode this bike around several times while he was here. When they returned home he started riding his older brother's bike without training wheels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I bought this bike 2 years ago for my sons 3rd bday and it has been a great bike. My son just turned 5 and we got him a 16" wheel pedal bike for his bday. He took off like shot, no training wheels and no help from me. He was able to balance and steer perfectly. The balance bike has remained in very good shape after much use. It is very durable and looks sharp. We have been complimented numerous time on the look and quality of this bike. We needed a replacement screw after it wiggled loose and Prince Lionheart was a pleasure to work with. The balance bike's speed and maneuverability definitely trumps that of a pedal bike with training wheels any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
I bought 2 of these for my boys, my 3 year old jumped on it in within a day he was balancing for short lengths,, after a few months he balances for hundreds of feet at a time, an down hills, we just tried his regular pedal bike with out training wheels for the first time and he took right of riding on his own, . My younger 22 month old boy is able to walk around on his balance bike now but it is still a little tall for him. I am going to drill another hole to lower the seat more.
There are more expensive balance bikes available but I would recommend this one and then spend more on a high quality regular bike once he learns how to balance. Plus the wood gives this cool style. I am going to hang them up on walls in our shop ounce they move up to regular bikes for memories. Its a great Idea, the kids literally teach themselves how to balance and they get confidence quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great balance bike, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
Our 3 year old boy loves this bike. We have a slightly sloped yard and he has learned to balance his way all the down it. He is learning the dynamics of biking and getting great exercise when he rides it back up the hill. The seat will raise up 2 or 4 more inches as he grows. We are hoping that by next summer he'll skip right past the training wheeled bikes and move right into a big boy bike. Well built and solid structure. I would recommend keeping the bike dry as it is mostly made of plywood. Avoid leaving it out overnight also as the dew may affect it. It is a little tough inflating the tires, to be expected though due to their size. Excellent traction inside & outside. Should be a bike that can be passed on down the line for years to come. Get into the habit of your little one wearing a helmet...even inside or outside on the grass. Lead by example also...parents and older siblings should wear helmets too...make it a whole family thing and the little ones will buy into it! Plus they make pretty cool and inexpensive helmets nowadays!

5.0 out of 5 stars great bike!, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Prince Lionheart Balance Bike (Baby Product)
This is a great looking and easy to ride balance bike. My son (3) loves it!
Very affordable as well, when you compare similar bikes.

Prince Lionheart Balance Bike