Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 18, 2002
My ten year old and I loved this book and could not stop reading it. I was touched by the metaphor for life, cold blooded frogs learn to love and be a family. How deeply Pin loved his wife and family. How patient Jade was with his speech difficulties with his giant frog tongue. What fun it was to learn about the life of the pond and frogs in a way that was incidental to the story. This story was a powerful package of life, love, and facts of pond life, and how making room in your heart for love leads to extraordinary events. The drawings were a wonderful preview of what might happen next.
on July 27, 2004
I am agog at the reviews that complain about Pin's speech being annoying, or the biology lesson feel of the book. My kids (5 and 7) and I loved this poignant story of acceptance: acceptance of others' differences, of one's changing circumstances. They laughed themselves silly as Pin outwitted the pond's predators. I was incredibly touched by the lessons learned by both Pin and Jade as they got to know each other better. We never found the information the story conveyed to be heavy-handed or intrusive. It is one of the most imaginative books I've read in a long time. Beautiful illustrations and beautiful characters.
on April 13, 2006
The Pond.

There is a prince named Pin who has something happen to him. He gets turned into a frog by a hag. Then a frog comes by and becomes his friend. Pin calls this frog Jade.

Some events in this story are Pin the frog doesn't want to have his babies to get eaten. He doesn't stay at the pond so he goes to a well instead. Where there are no water snakes no bullfrogs and no water scorpions and good bugs to eat.

Something I learned from this book is somethings that may be important to us may not always be important to frogs. Some frogs may have the same resemblance as us like we both need water to survive. A message that the author might be sending is that we both don't always do everything the dame and probably never will.

What I Love about this book is that there are a lot of outside activities and gorgeous ponds. The amount of sunny days reminds me of a beautiful summer day. It makes me happy when I read this book. I think that if your
on April 1, 2011
I LOVED this book as a child. It has stuck with me over the years and it is one I will always remember and recommend. I remember laughing so much, while my teacher read it to us. I couldn't wait to hear him read it each day!

I do, however, want to point out two things that a parent should be aware of about this book. 1) The ending of the story is not what I would call a happy ending. It is a bit of a harsh reality type ending. 2) Napoli is factual and detailed when describing the realities of frog life...including the making of tadpoles.

Regardless, my third grade teacher read it to my class and we were able to handle it and enjoy it. :)
on March 12, 2003
The Prince of the Pond: Otherwise Known As De Fawg Pin is a sweet, hilarious story for the young and the young-at-heart. I'm one of the latter, as I was almost hysterical with the giggles at the very silliness of a lisping frog. Although I do not care for amphibians at all, I found the illustrations excellent and learned a thing or two since they also have a slightly biology-lesson feel. The story also provided facts about frogs that will interest children.
The story is narrated by a female frog who befriends our hapless hero, Pin. The basic tale of The Frog Prince is maintained, but only as shell. The real story revolves around Pin's adaptation to his new world and the compromises of his human and frog selves.
Donna Jo Napoli did a wonderful job of creating just the right mood for each scene - light and carefree when the frogs are playing, a little menacing when the mean old bullfrog comes, and particularly sweet when Pin is determined to save all his hundreds of tadpole children. A bit of the fantastic, the scientific, and the winsome. Also charming is the sequel, Jimmy, the Pickpocket of the Palace.
on April 3, 2010
I'm reading this to my 7 year old son. He hates the typical books for his age - doesn't like "danger" and wants the characters to be nice to each other. He is utterly charmed by this story. We read it at bedtime and he tells his sister about the latest developments the next day. If your kids liked the The World According to Humphrey (Humphrey) books or Coville's The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me) series, they'll probably love this one as well.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2008
This is a charming book, my husband read this aloud to our 6 year old and we all enjoyed hearing the updated version of the classic story of The Frog Prince.

The story was sweet and funny and the language was amusing. I don't know how well I would have done with it if I had been the reader, but my husband really got into it...the frog prince has a bit of a speech impediment.

We have read our daughter many, many, many books that she enjoyed and we did not but this one was a hit with old and young alike.

I also like that it's a chapter book with pictures, our daughter was reluctant to move away from chapter books with pictures so this was perfect for us. It's a sophisticated enough story with pictures to add to the enjoyment for her.
on February 16, 2011
There were few read out-loud books which grabbed my children and their classmates as completely as this one. They quickly grasped that this was a retelling of the fairy tale of the Princess and the Frog, but from the frog's point of view. The real joy though came in talking like "de fawg pin," and having the chance to quote such lines as "you dum...you da king ub dum...." without getting in trouble for name calling.

Talking like the de Fawg Pin is easy once you master putting your tongue at the back of your lower front teeth and keeping it there while you say things. It's so much fun!!

I highly recommend this book as a read out-loud for children 5-9 year old and any parent or teacher who might enjoy a lively read.
on August 7, 1999
We came across this book serendipitously at the libraryrecently. My 10 year old son & I used it as one of our read aloudnight time stories. We laughed until we cried and read it all in one night. We took turns reading because we were laughing so hard. The next day I took it to work and shared it with other children's book lovers. We all wanted to order at least one for ourselves and one to send on to family. This story and illustrations are beyond words. To get a smile all we say is "We are FAWGS!".
on July 9, 2010
The Prince of the Pond is charming and well-written, a funny, romantic and moving story of love and commitment- and a wonderful take on the Frog Prince of fairy tales. It's also full of accurate frog science facts, too, which I find particularly appealing. I read this out-loud to my husband over a span of a several nights and we deeply enjoyed it. We were genuinely sorry to come to the end of the story. We look forward to reading more from this author!