4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars; Maggie Shayne is one of my fave authors!
Maggie Shayne returns to her fabulous Wings in the Night series with the PRINCE OF TWILIGHT!

Published on October 1, 2006 by Deborah Wiley

2.0 out of 5 stars let down
Published on November 17, 2006 by Neker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars let down, November 17, 2006
Neker (Duson, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was completely disappointed in this one. What was with the 16 year lapse? I read one book and Stormy is kidnapped by Vlad and here's this one 16 years later. I immediately start calculating in my head about old Stormy is (almost 40?!) Jeez, I'm almost 40, and the thought of having a relationship with someone physically half my age is just ... eww! Then to have such a disfunctional relationship. Stormy is nothing more than a doormat. Vlad seems to pine for his lost love constantly and yet is so easily swayed. The entire ending was sappy. What's with Damian? He just, poof, shows up just in the nick of time with no reason whatsoever to even being in the vacinity? Poor Elizabeta is turned into a child pycho that seems to whine alot. Then to top it all off, half the story is in flashbacks that occur during dreams, daydreams, and reminisents. How boring!

Regardless, this is the first time I have been so utterly disappointed in a Shayne novel. I'll continue to read. Hopefully this was only a once spoiled egg.

2.0 out of 5 stars How do people publish this stuff, November 18, 2006
In short this book showed poor story development, extremely poor grammar, poor character development, and had an unconvincing plot. The relationships were not believable. Who would wait five hundred years to reconnect with a lost mate, whom they only knew for two days? How could the sorceress, conveniently Vlad's best friend, predict the five hundred year reunion with a desendent of Beta (the dead wife of the 14th century) when, supposedly, all of Beta's relatives died of the plague? Also, why would the magicians, diviners, etc. etc create a spell to keep Beta's soul in limbo, only to have it share a body with someone else, namely Stormy? Why not just give her a body of her own???? So many questions. Clearly I thought more about the plot than the author. Perhaps, I shall write a novel of my own. If anything, at least my grammar is better.

Also, there was nothing endearing, or convincing about the relationship between the main characters. While I would love to believe that a twenty- something male (physically anyway)could be so very attracted to a nearly forty year old woman, who dressed like a twenty-something woman, I don't really want to read about it. I prefer the fantasy, to the actuality. Their banter was stupid too, "Take me Vlad if you think you can." "Oh I can take you and you can't stop me." "Vlad I want you." "Go to sleep so I can take you in your dreams." Does she want him or doesn't she? Can he take her, or does she need to be out cold first? Please I was so confused.

Apparently, Stormy is madly in love with Vlad from a previous encounter she had with him at the age of 23. An encounter which she had no memory of, except in her dreams. I don't know about anyone else, while I may dream about men in my sleep, I don't fall hopelessly in love with any of them in my reality. Anyhow, the confusion doesn't end there, apparently Stormy must fight off the soul sharing her body, the one the magicians couldn't find an actual body for. The two are locked in battle for the use of Stormy's body, and while this goes on Vlad confuses the two even more. He wants Stormy in her dreams so Beta won't know what he does to Stormy's body, yet wasn't Beta his great love (of two days remember), the one he waited five hundred years to be with? Is he cheating on her soul or getting it on with the body? Was he there for Stormy's body, or Beta's soul? See how confusing this gets, try reading the book it gets worse.

Finally, the original Vlad Dracula of history was an evil man, why choose him as your main character? I think the premise that he had only killed all those people out of anger for the death (suicide actually) of his great love (did I mention of two days) did not convince me to forgive "poor" Dracula.

I gave this 2 stars because I was actually able to read it. When I don't instantly throw away a book like this, there must have been something worthwhile in it, though I cannot tell you what that was. Could be that I was just bored and it was the only thing around to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Here comes a pretty negative review., October 13, 2006
I have 3 things that I dislike about this book. First it has so many grammar and spelling errors that, at times, I had a hard time following the story. You kind of have to take a second to imagine what the author meant or fill in the missing words to continue in the story. The second thing that I really dislike about this story is that it took WAYYY too long for Vlad to reveal his true colors. Which brought on the third thing I disliked which is that Tempest is soo spunky but she continues to love him thus making her really pathetic. I won't ruin it for those of you who may read this in the future but lets just say these two deny each other wayyyyyyyy too much and then when there finally is some resolution it ain't nearly enough. I liked how Ms. Shayne tied everything from Gilgamesh to Egypt to present day together. It was very clever, but the cons in this book definitely outweigh the pros.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Holes, October 26, 2006
sapna (Fort Collins, Co United States) - See all my reviews
I am a reader who loves a good paranormal romance, but I hate to have my intelligence insulted by an author whose plot and events are riddled with holes.

"Prince Of Twilight" by Maggie Shayne starts out with an interesting plot and surprisingly likable heroine who is perky and outspoken without being annoying. The story is apparently about Dracula himself who binds part of his (undeserving) wife's soul - after she kills herself - to a ruby ring and waits more than five hundred years for her reincarnation. Stormy, the heroine of the book, is that reincarnated person who, falls for Dracula, but is not too enthusiastic about giving up her body for his bride to use. Dracula then faces the dilemma of wanting his wife back and falling for Stormy.

The problems I had with this book are little things like Dracula losing the ring and the scroll that would bring his wife back because he went to war carrying these things on his person and had them looted when he was injured and thought for dead. I expected him to be a little more intelligent than that and hide those things somewhere safe before going out to fight. Also, Dracula, who is said to be the second most powerful vampire on earth in this book, in on deathbed when he is stabbed on the abdomen with a knife or shot with a gun (this happens on 2 separate occasion when he is dying and has to be saved). These things should be like pin pricks to him otherwise one wonders how he survived centuries of war.

The book is full of these logical holes and they kept me from enjoying it. Even with a good plot and characters the intelligence behind telling a story makes the difference between a great writer and a mediocre one. I was reminded once again why I never buy this author's books. I borrow them from the library and only rarely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of Shayne's, October 4, 2006
I was pretty disappointed. I like Maggie Shayne's books, but in this one, the hero and heroine just seemed a little too dysfunctional. I couldn't get how Stormy could be so head over heels in love with this guy who was so obviously hung up on someone else. She kept putting up with his stuff. Stormy was portrayed as a feisty and strong character, so why didn't she ever say no to Vlad? I kept wanting her to totally walk away from him.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars; Maggie Shayne is one of my fave authors!, October 1, 2006

Tempest "Stormy" Jones has been haunted for 16 long years by the infamous vampire, Vlad Dracul. Previously in BLUE TWILIGHT, Stormy discovered that Vlad's wife, Elisabeta, resided in her body along with Stormy. As a result, Stormy struggles to maintain control of her own body as Elisabeta yearns to return. Unfortunately, a magick worked over 500 years ago is about to expire and Stormy's life is now in jeopardy. The ring needed to work the rite for Elisabeta's return has resurfaced. Will Vlad choose Stormy or Elisabeta?

The story of Stormy and Vlad has been long anticipated by many, including this reviewer! Stormy is a delightfully feisty character and it is a thrill to finally see her story come to life via such a gifted author as Maggie Shayne. Stormy's ongoing battle with Elisabeta is a fascinating one as each woman fights for dominance in a body only equipped to handle one. Some very thought-provoking concepts regarding the soul and what happens after a person dies are addressed by Ms. Shayne and PRINCE OF TWILIGHT will generate many interesting discussions as a result.

Maggie Shayne continues to keep the Wings in the Night series fresh and entertaining by adding various underlying elements to the ongoing threads. First we had the diabolically evil government agency, Division of Paranormal Investigations (DPI). Then, Ms. Shayne developed the Supernatural Investigations Services (SIS) which Stormy runs with a partner, Maxine Malone. The newest element added is the Sisterhood of Athena. Ms. Shayne has a gift for incorporating new and mysterious organizations into the mixture while making each one seem believable and credible. Each addition adds another layer of intrigue as the reader wonders which twist or turn Ms. Shayne will take as the series progresses. One can only wonder what the future holds with the Sisterhood of Athena and if Melina Roscova will resurface in later books.

Any Maggie Shayne book is an automatic purchase for this reviewer and PRINCE OF TWILIGHT was no exception! Ms. Shayne's books are entertaining with well-developed characters. Reoccurring characters and storylines intertwine in each book although every one of them can be read as a stand alone novel. PRINCE OF TWILIGHT is easily read and understood on its own merits although readers will probably want to read BLUE TWILIGHT in order to see how Stormy's relationship with Vlad has matured. Vampire fans will rejoice to see that one of the masters of the genre has returned with PRINCE OF TWILIGHT!

COURTESY OF CK2S KWIPS AND KRITIQUES

2.0 out of 5 stars okay, not great, January 3, 2007
Too formulaic and seemed like a rehash of her other works. It was an easy read, but not worth nearly $7.00. If you collect her stuff, get a used copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!, November 28, 2007
I expected better from this author as I have most of her books from way back when, have all her books from the wings series and her witches series and more.
I could't get into this story and it makes me question if she's a must have author. I also couldn't get into the previous book in the series. I will be much more careful in the future when buying any more books from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific vampire romance, October 9, 2006
Five centuries ago, Lady Elisabeta "Beta" committed suicide; her surviving spouse Vlad Dracul was shocked and despondent as he felt life without her would prove unbearable. Thus he managed to save some of her soul inside a ring with the prayer that a ritual involving planetary alignment will enable him to bring back his wife using a descendent as the vehicle.

Now five hundred years of anguish waiting has finally ended as the planets begin to properly align for the Count to start the process. He plans to use the body of Tempest "Stormy" Jones as the container to hold Elisabeta's soul. However, as Dracul becomes acquainted with Stormy, he finds he desires her, but wonders could he love this modern day woman more than his late wife. At the same time he faces his dilemma of the heart, Stormy begins to realize that she has some of Beta's memory and that the past is battling with the present for the future of her soul. Since he started the ritual, he cannot stop or both will die; will Vlad go for what he had and lost or what he can have?

The latest Maggie Shayne "Twilight" thriller is a terrific vampire romance that grips fans of the series once Dracul and Stormy meet. The story line is action-packed but character driven as the Count realizes he has an extremely difficult decision to make. Fans will read in one sitting to learn who survives, if either; newcomers should first peruse the previous tales (see TWILIGHT HUNGER and EMBRACE THE TWILIGHT) to fully savor the bite of this superior paranormal.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars, March 2, 2007
Five centuries ago, Vlad Dracula lost Elizabeta, the one woman he loved, but was able to bind her soul to a ring. Rhianon told him that when the time came, in five hundred years, he would find her soul descendant and be able to rebirth her into a new body. Now, he has found the one destined to give Beta new life; Tempest, or Stormy, as she prefers to be called. For sixteen years, the two have been falling in love and the time for the rite that will allow Beta to take over Stormy draws close. However, death has turned Beta into a madwoman, and Stormy does not want to die, which she will if another soul takes over her body. Vlad has a terrible choice to make, but one an insane spirit may take from his hand.

**** At first, I expected this to be much like Valerian's story, as written by Linda Lael Miller. However, though the concept of reincarnation and reborn loves is similar, and both stories are excellent, they are not clones. Stormy's dilema is poignant and suspenseful as she races to find a way to live. Vlad sometimes comes off as unsympathetic, but this may be one of the best Dracula's ever invented. ****

Amanda Killgore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Prince of Twilight
Prince of Twilight by Maggie Shayne (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 2010)
$7.99 $7.19