Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Princess Pigsty
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on March 9, 2014
I bought this book for my niece who has fallen for the Princess Industrial Complex hook, line and sinker. She loves this book and I'm hopeful that the message in this book will penetrate deeper than the Disney version.
on August 13, 2011
Our almost 4 year old daughter has become obsessed with princesses over the course of the past year; unfortunately, everywhere we go, we are inundated with the soul-sucking Disney princesses. Needless to say, she wants every Disney princess book she sees, but I just cannot bring myself to spend money on products based on princesses who teach girls to aspire to be made-up, manicured, skinny zombies with no real personalities.
Thankfully, Cornelia Funke has written this book as well as The Princess Knight. They both teach kids that princesses can be cool, independent girls who refuse to live their lives on anyone else's terms but their own.
Funke's princesses are wonderful antidotes to the cloying, awful Disney princesses, and I cannot recommend this book enough.
on June 8, 2014
My kids and I really loved this book. We laughed a lot. The youngest princess finally has enough of the boring princess routine, and she rebels against all of it. Her father tries to teach her a lesson and sends her first to the kitchen to work and then to the pigsty. She ends up loving both jobs simply because she is learning so much. She's finally able to use her brain, and she enjoys learning basic ideas about how the world works. While she's rebellious and defiant in the beginning, we see her transform into a happy and enthusiastic child when she discovers these new ways to live. Luckily by the end we see that her father, the king, finally recognizes her joy and appreciates his child's personality.

I highly recommend this book for parents who want to expand princess images for their children...along the lines of Not All Princesses Wear Pink and Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

I understand parents' concerns about a character who is snotty and rude, but that isn't how I took this character. I guess I never saw her identified with my family in the same way that I don't see Cinderella or Snow White identified with my family. I saw the character as a Disney-type princess who finds her voice and figures out a strategy for living a new way. To me, she's a role model. While I want my children to be polite, I don't always want them to be obedient. I suppose the story could've had the princess use her words to express her frustration and dismay at her life, but that wouldn't have made a very interesting story. I also got the impression that she had already tried that strategy.
on September 9, 2008
This is a fantastic piece of modern fantasy which chronicles the relationship between a young, non-conformist princess and her family. In the story, little Isabella decides good manners, pretty dresses, and being clean are all quite boring. He father (the king) decides to discipline her by sending her first to the kitchen to cook then to the pigsty to work...and Isabella loves her new duties at the castle! Her father finally accepts that Isabella desires a different way of life.

This book holds a special place in my heart because I have a non-conformist, 5-year-old Isabella in my home as well. The story is one of love and acceptance within a healthy family. The parents want only the best for little Isabella...and I can certainly relate to that...but eventually decide that she has her own goals and they must honor her desires to a point. A real-life lesson rolled into a fun fairytale package.

In the classroom, I would read this book alongside other tales involving royalty and castles then compare the tone and style of this book with the others. What elements are the same? How are they different? Children might also rewrite the story starring themselves as the main character. How would they have behaved differently? Another extension might be to place Princess Isabella in a modern day setting. How would the story change?
on December 1, 2007
This is a really cute book. It is intended to be dramatic and humurous and should be read that way because it is fun. The yelling of the king should be taken with humor becasue no one ever disagrees with him and it is supposed to be funny. The little princess fights for what she wants and there is only one page that mentioins kicking but it is ultimately to defend herself from people trying to physically force her to do something she doesn't want to. If your family really has a problem with this, then just add a personal comment about how that is not a nice way to solve your problems. Ultimately, the book is about a little girl who is different from her family and while her family is angry at first, they ultimately accept her for who she is.
on May 10, 2013
That stubborn streak that some kids have is brought home is in this story. Its funny and cute and has a great tail...
on March 9, 2010
Funny story about a little princess who stands her ground to be herself.
My granddaughter loved it!
on April 5, 2016
Perfect for the parent who hates the traditional princess tale!
on July 25, 2015
My daughter's favorite book.
on October 12, 2008
The recalcitrat princess is the last of three girls and she's tired of the royal life and its rules (wearing a crown all day gives her a headaches). Princess Pigsty is a cute, captivating read with the princess and her father battling over how a princess should behave and Ms Pigsty not heeding (and very rudely at that) a word of his advice. In the end, the King caves and gives the priness her way. Not a brilliant message, though engagingly told throughout the book and will hold a young girls attention. My daughter actually asked me in the middle of the story "Mummy, why is she so bad?"

Instead perhaps the princess could have learned to merge her love for pigs, helping in the kitchen and basically being an independent thinker with her duties as a little member of the royal family. The lesson could have been that you can let your own light shine, but responsibility and corformity are still very important for young children.