Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Color: Black/Gray|Change

on September 13, 2007
I used this headlampPrinceton Tec Quad Headlampon a recent 6-day backpacking trip. It worked great, providing excellent lighting in a choice of 3 different intensities. Best of all, it was lightweight and very comfortable to wear.
on April 28, 2008
Having used both, this headlamp is better than the competing Petzl Tikka Plus. The Quad has a better switch, is more waterproof and gets better battery life, and Princeton Tec is an American company. Hope this helps.
on September 21, 2010
Echoing what another reviewer said, the pivot point is made out of plastic. Due to this fact, the lamp loses its ability to grip onto the pivot point as the plastic wears down. Mine is at the point -- after four or five times out running -- where it has to be either completely up and facing forward or it will flop down and point directly at my feet. Neither of these positions is useful for running as a straight forward position puts the light too far for running, and straight down simply blinds me and doesn't shoot the light far enough forward. I would expect this problem to exist for other applications as well if you have to lean forward. Do not buy this product.

I now have to put a piece of plastic behind the lamp and use a rubber band to hold the lamp against the plastic. This allows it to point down slightly, but it looks even more ridiculous. Definitely not worth the money.
on June 13, 2011
I've had this headlamp for 3 years now and it never fails to brighten my day. The first time i used it was while hiking down half dome in Yosemite and it lit enough of the path for 5 people! My friends also had headlamps, but they could not compete with the 4 LED lights it has. The good thing about it is that its very versatile and sturdy. Whether you use it on a hike or while working under your car, it truly makes things easier. I recently bought it again as a gift and my friend is amazed by its performance. Some people's reviews say that the hinges should be made out of other materials, but I've found plastic to work just fine, its not like you are adjusting it so frequently that it wears out quickly.
on August 1, 2010
I bought what I believed was the identical headlamp from L.L. Bean a couple years ago; quad LED, 3 brightness levels plus blinking, 3 AAA batteries, identical design, made by Princeton Tech. I loved it and wondered how I had ever gotten along without one. Also wondered why I would ever need a regular hand-held flashlight again. When I lost it I bought this Princeton Tech model from Amazon. Identical in all respects, EXCEPT ...
There is something wrong with the mechanical mechanism that allows you to tilt the lamp down to your desired angle. After just a couple months it seems to have worn out and it won't hold in position. It just flops down. Only thing I can do is wear it upside-down and be satisfied with the light straight ahead. Evidently poor quality on the tilting mechanism.
THEN, I found my old one from L.L. Bean. While, as I said, it looks identical in all respects, its tilt adjustment continues to work fine.
Very disappointing.
on January 14, 2015
I have been using Princeton Tec Quad Headlamps for over 6 years. I use them for work, travel at night, examining dark areas in any situation that I need to see and can't see clearly enough. The batteries last a long time especially when on lowest light which is usually enough in dark situations.
I highly recommend the use of rechargeable batteries, and have had great success with Powerex 1000 batteries.
I headlight band is very durable and lasts as long as the headlamp so far.
I used many other brands of headlamps. This is the best overall one I've ever used.
on September 1, 2007
Overall a very nice headlamp. A waterproof, solid yet light product with 4 uber-bright LEDs and a generous 150hr battery burn on low. Have not yet "field tested" this product but it works flawlessly lighting my path from my house to my car when I bounce at night. Even on the low setting you can see adequately in front of you to feel safe walking during the night, and is light/comfortable enough not to be a bother for a couple hours. In terms of control there is one button that cycles through high, medium, low, high flash.

A great product that greatly helps getting you to your car in the dark and also making other people squint real bad when you look them in the eye.

Good design, very practical, easy to use, and durable.
on May 29, 2012
Though I felt like this headlamp was overpriced, it lived up to its good reviews. I used it both for general illumination on a camping trip and for running. The lower levels worked fine for most uses -- I'm not sure I have ever used the brightest level. It gave excellent illumination in front of me and the width of the beam gave me a good view to the sides -- much better than other headlamps that focus strongly in front.

I wish it had a bit more padding behind the lamp where it sits on my forehead. Though I haven't, yet, had trouble with it, I do wonder how long the elastic strap will last.

I'll almost certainly purchase another one for my wife to use when camping.
VINE VOICEon February 1, 2014
I have been using headlamps for night hiking, auto repair and hobby projects for 20 years (mini-mag on a head mount!). I have owned dozens of headlamps from all the top makers in the last 10 years and have managed to break most of them one way or the other. The ONLY headlamp that has never failed me, nor was I able to break, is the Quad. It's battery compartment door is bullet proof, it's three brightness settings are simple all you will every need for hiking or night work. It's 85 luman max brightness works fine for close range tactical use. It's bulb/lens cover is almost indestructible and doesn't scratch much at all. the whole package is light and small and can easily be stuffed in a small pocket.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not drinking the Princeton Tech Kool-Aid: I have four other higher end models from Princeton Tec sitting broken in my junk box, including their most expensive models. But I'm telling you, their basic Quad model will go the distance! (btw, my bad for not sending them back to PT to take advantage of their good warranty offer... just a bit lazy!)

Highly Recommended! Top Honors! Hall of Fame Product here!
on January 31, 2008
I love this headlamp, and made it a frequent flier this year at Christmas.
Once you have one of these, for walking the dog at night, seeing in dark spaces around the house, it becomes indispensable.

See 1 answered question