Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 6, 2009
I used this book in my first year of pharmacy school and it served its purpose well and beyond. The unifying theme of the book is how the human body mantains homeostasis and this theme is well incorporated into all of the topics. Each chapter has numerous images, graphs and tables that enhance and/or summarize the reading. At the end of each chapter is an excellent section of homeostatic imbalances which explains diseases and conditions regarding the specific body system being discussed. In addition, each chapter also has "clinical connections" sections that explain diseases, conditions or procedures and "medical terminology" sections. Being a pharmacy student, I found that the book does not emphasize on medications used to treat conditions, but it was ok since we don't get into medications in deph until our second year. One final thing is that, if you want to get a good understanding of each topic, you should read each chapter fully since reading only the section you are interested in will likely leave you with gaps.
on October 10, 2008
This textbook is absolutely wonderful for learning Anatomy and Physiology. All of the professors at Delgado Community College decided on this textbook for the students, and I see why. The illustrations in the book are very good, and it is easy to read and understand. I will definitely keep this book for future reference after finishing Anatomy and Physiology.
on September 29, 2010
This book will be used in both my A&P I and II classes, so it's a good bang-for-your-buck, so to speak. I am into Chapter 5 of this book and so far, I love it! It has everything and is easy to study with - the text is worded clearly, the font size is good, the tables, diagrams and pictures are relevant and clear, the self-quizzes are placed strategically to keep you focused (they are detailed and good), and the clinical connection boxes are not obtrusive (yet interesting and helpful if you want them). Additionally, this book comes with a card with a code on it, which you use to log into the publisher's website. There you find an enormous amount of extra study tools related directly to the text (of course!) - and they are fantastic, may I add. This book is just plainly a great resource for A&P students and beyond, I would think. I would highly recommend this book.
on February 7, 2010
Great book. Well written and easy to follow. Incredible pictures and art that really help students grasp hard topics. This book does have an access code for an online companion site for the book. IT DOES NOT have access to the WileyPlus website where all the real help is. If you want access to the charts, animations, video, podcasts, ect. it will cost you an extra $109 from the book publisher....rip-off. If your college bookstore includes the code with the book you may want to weigh the options vs. price. It really just depends on what type of learner you are and what your professors may require in the way of online resources.
on March 6, 2014
The topic itself is a complicated matter, but this textbook will support your education well due to its detailed images with language that's easy for the adult learner, but difficult for the child. The chapters are not for those who like to cram it all in one night, but it's not impossible. A teacher's study guide will definitely help.

Tables and diagrams simplify the material, but it's intriguing enough to continue reading. The illustrations are sometimes a bit graphic if you're not yet comfortable with seeing the insides of a body (you will). There are some Chemistry concepts, but the textbook mostly goes into detail about the body's external and internal structures.

Use acronyms, analogies, anything that can really visualize what you read; that will certainly help with this material.
on March 21, 2014
This is my first A&P book, and I've not enjoyed it as much as I would've liked. I would prefer to receive information in a way that starts at a high level, then breaks down that information in a consecutive way, breaking things down more and more until we get to low level information. This book gives very brief overview of each section, then dives directly to the bottom of the ocean where you're stuck in a completely alien environment, with a whole new language to describe every minute thing you observe. This didn't work for me.

I had to get EZ-Anatomy and Physiology to support my need for a high level view, and now I only use the Tortora book for the excellent illustrations and the boxed lists of things to remember. I won't read it any longer. It just confused the hell out of me and makes me feel like I'm drowning.
on May 18, 2011
I had no choice but to get this book for my college level Anatomy and Physiology class but it is great. Pictures and diagrams galore. It also comes with a nifty online feature with tools available to help you study and grasp the material. Only drawback? This is a big book. A little on the heavy side too. But that's just because it's jam-packed full of good material.
on April 8, 2012
I bought this book and a Kindle Fire because I didn't want to haul around another huge text book. Not until after I purchased both did I find out that this book will not display on a Kindle, so I still had to haul my laptop to class in order to be able to use the book at all. Then it became even more disappointing. I was using the copy function to create my own study notes, but what I did not know is that there is a limit on how many times you can do that. Had I known I would have been much pickier about what I copied, but I had no idea until an error box popped up saying I'd reached the limit--what that is exactly I still couldn't tell you!-- right in the middle of trying to prepare for an exam. Now I cannot copy ANYTHING and the book has become nearly useless to me. Another thing that is somewhat disappointing is the note feature. There doesn't seem to be any way to sort them, search them, print them, etc. Now I just have a long, long list of notes I've taken without any efficient way that I am aware of to use them. Now I really wish I'd stuck with my old hard copy book and notebook and saved myself the several hundred dollars I spent expecting this to be more convenient.
on February 16, 2009
The book is a "readable" anatomy book. The text is not overwhelming - it is concise and brief. The images are a bit small though. The book provides access to a website. The website is a bit slow and erratic but otherwise ok when the page loads. The website is very helpful when reviewing.
on December 22, 2013
I really enjoyed the Anatomy and Physiology class this spring (2013), and imagined that I would read the other half of the book. In real life I’ve only read a couple of additional chapters. So, it’s time to mark it as read.

It was fascinating to get into the details, so even though my company provided a textbook for the semester, I bought a copy to mark it up and continue to study. That was a good choice since I still refer to it.

I especially like the part at the end of each chapter, which describes the effects of aging.

Table of Contents