Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 7, 2006
I'm not sure who is supposed to benefit from the use of this textbook. I am a 4.0 student at a leading university. I bust my butt and work hard to understand material and ask questions of professors, research on the web, and spend as many hours outside class as needed in order to understand the material introduced by the textbooks used in my courses.

This book is, without a doubt, the least helpful, most error-ridden, topic brushing, irrelevent-example-giving, important-step-skipping book I have EVER had the misfortune to use. If you have a professor who uses this book for their course, DON'T TAKE THAT CLASS. Find another school or professor or major. Really.

Over the course of this past semester, for every hour I've spent reading this textbook I estimate that I've had to spend three hours researching the web or referencing other EE books. I am NOT KIDDING. From the simplest, most basic concepts (KCL, KVL and how to set up node and mesh equations using the "passive element" convention) to the most modest 2nd order circuits (frequency response of an RLC bandpass circuit), this book cannot seem to explain ANYTHING clearly, completely, and without glossing over concepts that may be *gasp* NEW to students whose major is NOT EE! There isn't a single topic covered by this book that I haven't had to do further research on in order to fully grasp. Unbelievable.

If this review seems to be negative or overly critical, that's exactly how it's intended. Maybe others can get a sense of the frustration they'll experience while trying to learn from this book. With any luck, they'll be able to avoid the book, the frustration, and the (literally) dozens of nonproductive hours of ancillary research required because the author of seems to be so out of touch with the needs of his intended audience.
11 comment37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2006
If you can stomach the shameless self-promotion of his electric speed racer and other ridiculous examples (like the Ford Escape hybrid), you'll absolutely choke on the outrageous number of errors that fill this book. And I'm not talking little typos, this thing has diagrams that are completely wrong, and on and on. If you fail your first course in EE, maybe you and the other 1000s of victims could file a class action lawsuit against Rizzoni and McGraw Hill for selling a faulty product. Sure, it won't kill you like cigarettes, but you'll wish you were dead after suffering through this. Don't let the 1-star rating fool you; Amazon doesn't allow a zero rating, but they should.
on January 30, 2006
We have only made it through some of chapter three, and in the dozen problems that we've had, we have found nearly half a dozen errors. Misprinted subscripts on prob. 3.17, random arrows(in the middle of a circuit on 3.3), lack of needed values (3.1--it's 1 Ohm), and then the outright wrong(3.17 asks for the resistance through a nonexistant 40-Ohm resistor when there is nothing above 3 Ohms). Don't buy the book; the errors are still ridiculous. And then the author plugs himself in manyof the pictures in the first chapter ("courtesy of Giorgio Rizzoni"). I reccomend buying the older edition and borrowing someone else's if you need the 5th edition problems. This book was a waste of money.
on January 15, 2007
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has struggled with this textbook. It made simple concepts seem more difficult than those in my most advanced classes (I'm about to graduate). If you have to use this textbook for a class, I recommend getting another book out of the library to learn the concepts. Better yet, photocopy the problems you need from a friend and avoid this book all together.
on June 13, 2007
I am currently in a engineering circuits class that requires this book. The 5th edition has a letter attached for the first page stating the company's commitment to accuracy. The letter then describes 7 steps taken to verify the content and accuracy.

I have just started and chapter 2 is loaded with errors in the example and homework problems.

I wish I could get my money back or a manual filled with corrections. I can not even do the homework or read the chapters on my own with confidence because there is no telling when I am wrong or the book is.
on April 3, 2011
After buying this book at a local campus book store at OSU, they require this book for OSU students simple because it was written by an OSU professor,and began to use it I found numerous errors in the text. The book at some points had so many errors in a section it flat out lies about certain scientific statements and you cannot count on any of the answers in the back of the book to be correct. Most likely if you solve a problem and it does not match the answer you are correct and the book is wrong. Sadly a text book should not be this way.
on October 17, 2007
I don't know what else to say other than this book is quite possibly the worst engineering book ever written. As has been stated previously, it is full of errors. Not only that, but this book is about as organized as a two year-old's toy box! The meat of the text blends in with examples, several "help" boxes scattered throughout are a huge distration (and not very helpful), and the reader can go through a chapter without knowing where one concept ends and another begins.
If your school uses this book, petition them to use another. Unfortunately, since this guy is a professor here at OSU, we have to use it. If you're forced to buy it, get the Schaum's outlines instead - they do a much better job teaching the subject.
on June 4, 2010
The author doesn't clarify his points and leaves to many questions unanswered. This book often says things like "The value of flux in the core will be given by this equation" without specifying where this came from. He will also combine multiple equations and simply allow the definition of variables to change.
on September 23, 2007
This is the absolute worst text I've ever used for any class. It excels at writing volumes that explain nothing. The mistakes in the text, problems, and solutions are too numerous to make this book have even marginal utility. Important principles are explained through applications that often require additional knowledge and just confuse people. If you have a class that requires this text, buy ANY other circuits text and photocopy the problem sets. Tell your prof that (s)he should dump this book. It's a complete waste of your time and money to even attempt to deal with this text.
on December 9, 2010
This was a terrible book; it could not explain anything clearly, there was no gradual buildup to the practice problems, and it was riddled with errors. I bought this book intending to use it, but ended up never reading it at all. The professor I had tried to use the textbook, but ended up modifying every single problem to his specifications. So really, don't buy it if you don't have to.