"The authors have done an excellent job…this is a good book for an academic course that will provide the foundation to senior-level and graduate students…" (MRS Bulletin
From the Back Cover
A Thorough Update of the Industry Classic on Principles of PlasmaProcessing
The first edition of Principles of Plasma Discharges andMaterials Processing, published over a decade ago, was lauded forits complete treatment of both basic plasma physics and industrialplasma processing, quickly becoming the primary reference forstudents and professionals.
The Second Edition has been carefully updated and revised toreflect recent developments in the field and to further clarify thepresentation of basic principles. Along with in-depth coverage ofthe fundamentals of plasma physics and chemistry, the authors applybasic theory to plasma discharges, including calculations of plasmaparameters and the scaling of plasma parameters with controlparameters.
New and expanded topics include:
- Updated cross sections
- Diffusion and diffusion solutions
- Generalized Bohm criteria
- Expanded treatment of dc sheaths
- Langmuir probes in time-varying fields
- Electronegative discharges
- Pulsed power discharges
- Dual frequency discharges
- High-density rf sheaths and ion energy distributions
- Hysteresis and instabilities
- Helicon discharges
- Hollow cathode discharges
- Ionized physical vapor deposition
- Differential substrate charging
With new chapters on dusty plasmas and the kinetic theory ofdischarges, graduate students and researchers in the field ofplasma processing should find this new edition more valuable thanever.