Praise for Earlier Editions:
"Lakowicz’s Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy has been the best one-volume introduction to the biophysical principles of fluorescence methods.
- Roger Y. Tsien, Ph.D., Department of Pharmacology and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, California
"Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy is encyclopedic and comprehensive."
- Britton Chance, Professor Emeritus in Biochemistry and Biophysics,University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
"Recommended without reservation both to the novice and to the expert in fluorescence."
- Analytical Biochemistry
"In addition to its use as a student text, it should be a particularly valuable reference for those involved in biochemical research."
- Chemistry in Britain
Advance Praise for Third Edition:
"This third edition has significantly expanded the topics, and will remain as a leading reference, as well as a text…the information in the book is valuable for a wide range of disciplines."
- Robert M. Clegg, Ph.D., Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
"Overall this is a most welcome, and timely transformation of the classic, and most comprehensive textbook on fluorescence spectroscopy. It should be the number one item on the shopping list for any student or researcher involved in any aspect of fluorescence, be it as a biologist who does some microscopy, or a chemist synthesizing novel fluorophores."
- Alan Ryder, Ph.D., National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland-Galway, Galway, Ireland
From the reviews of the third edition:
"This book gives an overview of the principles and applications of fluorescence. It is well structured, starting with basic knowledge about the phenomena of fluorescence and ending with the latest applications. … highly readable and informative both by novices and by experienced people. … a helpful work of reference and a wonderful creation for learning and teaching. The updated 3rd edition with its appealing design and its absolutely up-to-date and, nevertheless, complete treatment of fluorescence spectroscopy makes it essential for everyone working in this field." (Christiane Albrecht, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 390, 2008)
From the Back Cover
Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, 3rd edition
Joseph R. Lakowicz
The third edition of the established classic text reference, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, will enhance upon the earlier editions' successes. Organized as a textbook for the learning student or the researcher needing to acquire the core competencies, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, 3e will maintain the emphasis on basics, while updating the examples to include recent results from the literature. The third edition also includes new chapters on single molecule detection, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, novel probes and radiative decay engineering.
This full-color textbook features the following:
- Problem sets following every chapter
- Glossaries of commonly used acronyms and mathematical symbols
- Appendices containing a list of recommended books which expand on various specialized topics
- Sections describing advanced topics will indicate as such, to allow these sections to be skipped in an introductory course, allowing the text to be used for classes of different levels
- Includes CD-ROM of all figures in a low-res format, perfect for use in instruction and presentations
Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, 3rd edition, is an essential volume for students, researchers, and industry professionals in biophysics, biochemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering, biology and medicine.
About the Author:
Dr. Joseph R. Lakowicz is Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, and Director of the Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy. Dr. Lakowicz has published over 400 scientific articles, has edited numerous books, holds 16 issued patents, and is the author of the widely used text, Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy now in its 3rd edition.