Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 20, 2016
Very happy with the accurately described quality/condition and fast turn around time from the seller ( Penn. State used books can't remember seller's full name, something D). Would definitely by from them again; with total confidence. Great experience! Borrowed this book from the library many, many, times for teaching and learning. Easy to read 1st edition,basic straight forward strategies and informative approach to ESL instruction

Thanks again,
Sam
on February 12, 2014
If you are looking for a book for information security, save your money. I've spent hours trying to figure out what the Hell he is trying to say!! This book is way to dang complicated!! I wouldn't even give this book a star if I could.
on September 12, 2014
Rented the e-book for class and this was a mistake. It does not work in the cloud reader or on my phone, but works on my Mac and Galaxy tablet. On the tablet the text cannot re-sized like other kindle books. It is difficult to digest the small print and it an annoyance to keep zooming in on each page.
on December 17, 2012
Hopefully by the time I write this review, the authors will have posted a Kindle version. I believe the content was a solid introduction to Information Security. I think it will need more info on security for cloud solutions but overall good reading for a layman such as myself.
on November 29, 2012
This is definitely a book geared towards management, not the technical types. The book covers a lot of topics so don't expect much in-depth detail here. As a textbook that is a general overview of information assurance and security, I think the authors do a decent job here. Yes, there are a lot of acronyms and at times the material can read like a dictionary (and hopefully you can ignore the numerous typos, spelling, and grammatical errors), but I enjoyed the scenarios that opened up each chapter and thought areas covering management planning and decision making were good.

I would like to have seen the authors expand on the opening scenarios a little bit more, one or two pages just doesn't cut it, and I really missed not reading a few actual case studies. Real-life examples of information security issues companies' face and the final resolutions allow managers to relate what they are learning to their own situations, and open up many possibilities for discussion in the classroom.

Overall, this is an average introductory textbook on information security, with room to grow into a much better book. Okay for a classroom text, but one I'd avoid for casual reading.
on August 19, 2014
I needed this book for my Info Security/Cyber Forensics courses. This book isn't for those wanting to take Security+ cert, if that's what you bought it for, you were wrong and should have done your homework. This book is geared more along the lines for those who want to take the CISSP cert. It covers most of the domains for it. Though since I haven't taken the CISSP cert I'm not sure if it goes into enough detail for those pursuing the cert. It's a dry read but I got through it and an A in the class.
on March 29, 2012
I am in Information Science & Tech student, but I thought I would give computer security a shot, since it's an alternative major within my college. I have a strong background in computer software, but I lack some basic knowledge of hardware. I was to buy this book for my Security and Risk Analysis introductory course (SRA 111), and I understood VERY little of each chapter. Every chapter is very dull and full of technical information. I strongly disagree with anyone who believes this book is for newbies; look elsewhere! This book is verbose and is very acronym-heavy. I've been an A student all my life, but this book lead me to nothing but Cs on quizzes (spoken from someone who attends EVERY class.)

I'll give the book some credit; it is very informative. Bulked with 578 pages of straight facts (not counting the glossary and other back-of-the-book supplements), Whitman's work makes for a long and stressful read. To college professors: be prepared to translate everything to English if you use this in a 100-level course and expect your students to succeed. If you're experienced in computer security, in all honesty, you probably won't need this book for anything other than to refresh your memory, as it is intended to explain the basics.

Overall, I felt this book did not accomplish its goal. It's too confusing from a beginner's standpoint, and it will not further educate anyone that is well-read in its subject (i.e. those that will understand it).
on July 2, 2012
school book..enough said...I didnt read more than i had to but what i did read was entertaining. The book was not particularly reader friendly though.
on February 23, 2015
This textbook is very thorough! The text is interesting and insightful! The back of the book has an alphabetical listing of word definitions and there is also a glossary where you can find key terms in the text.
on August 29, 2012
This is used as a textbook for my class. I read through it briefly as I'm already familiar with a lot of information security concept. The book seems too general to be of much use. A lot of the things presented in the book are really fundamentals. If that's what you're looking for then the book is okay. If you're looking for more in-depth information, look elsewhere.