5.0 out of 5 stars A great theoretical review.
I bought this book to help me review theories of language acquisition. It is well-written and an easier read than the textbook I bought for my TESL methodology course. I recommend this book to anyone reviewing for a TESL comprehensive exam. It is not the book for you if you are looking for practical teaching tips.
Published on February 18, 2007 by P. Garvin

1.0 out of 5 stars Incoherent
We need this book for a graduate class and it is terribly written. At first, I thought it was just me, but after consulting with my classmates, we all found the writing to be incoherent, scattered, and just frustratingly unintelligible.
Published 12 months ago by No guarantees

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great theoretical review., February 18, 2007
This review is from: Principles of Language Learning and Teaching (5th Edition) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars The New 5th Edition, December 24, 2007
Given the heavy-duty subject matter, Brown's "Principles of Language Learning and Teaching" is probably about as good as it gets. It's definitely not a book of general interest, but rather a compendium of the various theories that have influenced and shaped the teaching of second languages in the 20th century. It's slow going, but after a one semester course during which I plowed through and digested the material, I've gained a general understanding of the theory behind the practice. Babyboomers like me who had an unhappy second language experience in school will smile while reading Brown's explanations of the theories of the 50's, 60's and 70's, and why so many of us became discouraged. As a teacher of ESL now, I can only say things have improved a lot. In this new edition, Brown has included a section in the last chapter on current hot topics in the field. But again, this is for professionals or students, not general readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook, October 2, 2013
ram "quack1" (Louisville, Co USA) - See all my reviews
As a soon to be ESL teacher, this book helped me begin to understand the tools needed to address the complexities of teaching English and understanding the functional components of English, grammar, vocabulary, and syntax. If your an ESL instructor or want to be one and don't know this text, recommend you include in your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a Strong Foundation, August 10, 2011
This book is excellent for developing a solid foundation as a language teaching professional. It can make you view first and second language acquisition and communication in a new way. If you are interested in language acquisition and communication, the book may help you describe and explain your experiences and to deepen your understanding of all the components involved in successfully teaching.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incoherent, September 7, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, July 8, 2011
I purchased this book as a class requirement. In past classes, I would only read the material needed to complete an assignment. This book is so well put together that i actually ENJOYED reading the book. The information is very valuable and the book flowed like water down a peacefful stream. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in linguistics,ESL, or any other English or language discipline.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST what you need for CLAD, June 26, 2014
HEY, what can I tell you? I had to buy this book for a class I was forced to take in order to keep my teaching certificate. I read the book, took notes, and passed the class. Is it a great read full of fascinating, captivating material? Absolutely, if this type of book is your cup of tea and you enjoy reading this cure for insomnia. It did the job for what I needed so I am glad I purchased it. I quickly passed it on to another person who needed it for the same reasons. ENJOY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't quite know what to make of this one yet., March 13, 2014
There seems to be something wrong with academics in Linguistics and I think this book might exhibit some of what it is. The author seems to be a bit out of touch with reality. I echo the comments by others who refer to the pedantic and complicated or confusing style the author wrote in. I was into chapter 3 before I realized that this book might actually be one I really want to read. And I did really want to read it!

I liked what others have said wondering if the author ever learned a foreign language himself? He clearly knows the theory behind all the new thinking, but I was surprised when I got to the end of the book and he had not actually said a word about the end users of the thinking: the students and teachers. There is not a word said about his customers. Nothing at all. And there is a sentence or two about the history of teaching language before the twentieth century. No more.

A good author who wanted to tell the whole story would include accounts of how satisfied the end users were when approach A was used instead of approach B. Or about how one group liked a certain method and another group did not.

Still the author is extremely knowledgeable and when I could actually understand what he was saying I was fascinated. I did find that I could not put the book down once I got into it. But there were a lot of times when I was left asking myself what was it that I just read. Don't really know quite what to make of this one. I am still very new to this whole field and this style of writing. And I still can't quite get over the fact that the end users were not even consulted.

1.0 out of 5 stars unfair and unreasonable charges, March 10, 2014
Unfair ...Rented it but when about to return it the return window is unavailable but it was clear that rental is supposed to be up to December 2013.. Was charged extra 8+ fee for late fee and 99,55 for the payment.. Unfair coz a new book cost less than a hundred,, Please be fair,, The book was returned to u..

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have ESL/EFL resource, March 3, 2014
i used the book in a post grad class, the content is excellent. this is one book that I'm keeping in my library.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Principles of Language Learning and Teaching (5th Edition)
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching (5th Edition) by H. Douglas Brown (Paperback - June 1, 2006)
$74.33 $55.51