Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 4, 2010
I've been reading almost 1/3 of the book and it's very nicely written and easy to understand with simple and sometimes complicated examples in real life to enhance understanding of the economic concepts. Also liked the black/white cartoon that illustrates some economic concepts throughout the book. I really hated economic subject before but after getting this, I love it! There lot of margins where you can write down key points. As an intro econ class, this is pretty good overall. Will definitely recommend this to others.
on April 22, 2012
I have a difficult time reading most any text I'm assigned, but I find this book to be quite an easy read. The content starts with basic systems and disregards much of the complexity of the real world in order to present a more understandable package. As the chapters progress, it starts adding in the other factors that affect an economy.

I'm only giving it 4 stars because I don't like some of the layout. Many figures referenced on a page will be found one or two pages later. When describing a figure, I have to keep flipping back and forth to follow the paragraph with the diagram.

I'd also like to respond to R. Peterson's review:
"Assumptions:"
Economics is a soft science and almost entirely opinion. Just like there are differing opinions and assumptions in psychology, there are differing philosophies in economics. There is no way to scientifically evaluate how a policy or other factor effects economic growth or failure without a time machine to try it again. Economists can only rely on collected data and draw correlations with that data based on assumptions. I find it difficult to believe that Harvard would employ a professor who has difficulty with basic grammar, and that the healthy list of contributors from other prestigious institutions of higher learning would also miss such a grievous error.

Differences in judgment:
Economists face differences in judgment just like everyone else in the world, based on their background, education, and personal values. That is why economists have differing opinions.

Persuading beliefs???
The quote from the book has been taken out of context. The paragraph reads, "Why do policies such as rent control and trade barriers persist if the experts [economists] are united in their opposition? The reason may be that economists have not yet convinced the general public that these policies are undesirable. One purpose of this book is to make you understand the economist's view of these and other subjects and, perhaps, to persuade you that it is the right one."
on September 16, 2012
I consider "Principles of Macroeconomics" to be a freshman level, non-major textbook. It uses little math, but describes key concepts in simple to understand language. For example, Mankiw describes the effect of trading operations at the Federal Reserve through an analogy to helicopters dropping cash into urban areas. In another case, he includes a set of photographs of families with all their worldly possessions as an illustration of the ramifications of different levels of GDP per capita. As a college graduate looking to learn more about economics, I read most of this book in two afternoons and consider the time well spent.

For those who are interested in a more advanced treatment that involves more math , you might want to check out one of Mankiw's other books: "Macroeconomics" (Macroeconomics)
on March 31, 2013
I am taking macroeconomics at the local community college as general education credit for a science major upon transfer to a university. This book is great. It provides clear examples, sometimes cleverly reflecting real situations (e.g., four men named after the Beatles trying to auction for an Elvis album). I don't bother with the questions (my course is online and it has enough questions there), but they are still great if you need them. Highly recommended.
on April 5, 2013
The book was in better condition than I thought it was going to be! It had everything I needed as the 6th edition did but the page numbers were different. Thanks it was a cheep text for class!
on January 20, 2013
Very well written, doesn't make me want to fall asleep! I am enjoying this book very much and has been helpful for my class.
on May 14, 2013
cheap, pretty clearly written, good quality for the price and I recommend this over later edition as its fairly close
on January 3, 2014
This is a great book, it was exactly what i needed for my class and was very informative. Highly recommended.
on August 9, 2013
Used this book to study for CLEP exam. It had everything I needed to know to pass with a good score.
on January 1, 2011
Great book. Very understandable. Great study book for my class. I Would recommend it to anyone who is in college.