Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Principles of Microeconomics, 7th Edition
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 2, 2005
This is a demanding high school (or undemanding college) introductory textbook on the subject. Only the most rudimentary algebra is required, and honestly one could easily get through the book without even that.

The edition is handsomely printed, with a font that's easy on the eye and plenty of colorful and helpfully-glossed graphs. The chapters themselves are not too long, which helps with a student's morale, believe me.

Recently I was put into a situation where I had to go, in the space of about 4 months, from knowing jack-squat about economics to being able to teach college-level macroeconomics!

Well, I frantically collected a ton of textbooks and articles about macroeconomics, ranging from the elementary to the abstruse and got to work.

And I gotta say: when something befuddled me and I found myself threshing about from text to text for the best explanation, it was nearly always Mankiw who came through with the critical phrasing that made the idea click and got me saying: "Ohhhhhh! I get it!" most often.

Not that this was always the case. There were times when I found better explanations elsewhere (e.g., Chapter 19, on the foreign currency market, is exasperatingly elliptical and could use a major dummying-down), but more often than not, Mr. Mankiw had the goods: the clearest and most easy-to-follow way of wording or graphing a slippery or counter-intuitive concept.

Of course, it's easy to hate Mr. Mankiw: he's young, he's handsome, he's brilliant (one of the youngest full professors ever at Harvard), and he's rich (his textbooks are now standard in AP courses nationwide). Jerk!

Because of these reasons, I would love to trash his book, showing how it "ain't all that."

Well, it is. Gulp.

Only one note: If you're planning on getting this book to study macroeconomics independently, you will find one irritating drawback: there are exercises at the end of each chapter, but no answers in the back. Essentially, therefore, it's a book for schoolchildren, not mature learners.

But its explanations -- believe me -- can't be beat.
on January 4, 2013
This book was a requirement for my intro level microeconomics course. I would like to being by saying that this book is an incredibly easy read. It isn't extremely boring and dry and it isn't extremely fun with little important information. It contains all of the relevant information. The way the book delivers the information is astounding. You read through a block of text and then the book displays graphical examples with captions below to help interpret the graph. The online homework that I had to do along with the book made retaining the important information extremely easy. Economics comes relatively easy to me, but the addition of this great textbook made getting an A almost too easy. I didn't even show up to lecture about one third of the time because Dr. Mankiw does such a well job of explaining the material.

Pros:
Easy Read
Distilled Useful Information
Graphical Representation of Content

Cons:
Nothing

I would highly recommend this textbook. It is probably the most efficient and useful text for learning introductory microeconomics.
on November 23, 1999
I use this book in my economics class and all I can say is that is excellent. The author describes the basic concepts without being too complicated and messy. He keeps the things simple and incorporates some real-life economic problems and discussions into each chapter. The book overall provides a clear insight into microeconomics and shows what it is all about.
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2001
This book was the textbook used in a class I was enrolled in on microeconomics. Since it was only an introductory course, this book did a good job of covering a lot of the basic fundamentals that one needed to know before proceeding onto more advanced material. If all you are looking for is a rough guide to the subject without anything terribly in-depth, then this text work well for you. The sections that are touched on are covered extremely well and everything is explained with a lot of clarity. On the other hand, it is a rather frustrating read at times, as it breezes over some of the more interesting aspects of economics. It would have been helpful if the author had gone into more detail during certain sections, or at least had directed the reader to other publications where one could learn more.
Note to the buyer: Beware that the first six chapters in this book are identical to the first six chapters in PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS (note the "A") written by the same author. And I am not exaggerating when I say they are identical -- even the practice problems are the same. If you are looking for some variety in introducing yourself to economics, you may want to use a different set of books. To have this much repetition in books... may not be something you are interested in, so be careful before buying the second if you already own the first.
on April 22, 2013
I will start out by saying that I love Mankiw's textbooks. They are extremely easy to read and logically broken up into chapters. I have both the microeconomics and macroeconomics textbooks. The microeconomics textbook was a complete replacement for the course I took. You didn't even have to go to lecture but that may be deoendent on a course by course basis. On the other hand, the macroeconomics book is lacking a few topics that were gone over in lecture for my macroeconomics textbook. The primary missing aspects are mathematical analysis involving fiscal policy and monetary policy. Overall though, this is a good textbook. It is of the same quality that I would expect from Mankiw. The chapters aren't overfilled with text and are nicely complemented by graphical representations as well as side notes and things of that nature. You need to buy this textbook in two cases: your introductory macroeconomics course requires it or you aren't understanding macroeconomics in which case this text offers a clear explanation.
on October 10, 2014
Buy an earlier edition! This is literally the same thing as Macro by Mankiw 3rd - 6th edition. Way too expensive.
on February 25, 2008
I purchased this book for use in my ECON 230 class at my local community college. I so far have sound it to be very well written. The author makes a point to communicate his information in a manner understood by all.
on March 11, 1999
This book makes Economics extremely accessible -it was the first textbook I've ever encountered that was actually a "good read." Anyone taking an Intro Macroeconomics class should have a copy of this book (even if the course textbook is different). Extremely well written and clear.
on August 25, 1998
Very easy to read with lots of explanatory diagrams. Suitable for undergraduate studies or for students who are totally new to economics.
The text is partnered by a web-site which contains extra learning materials and multiple choice practice questions. Also, very handy.
on October 7, 2012
I am currently a PhD student in Econ/Operations Research. I read this book (page by page) when I was 17. This (and the principles of Microeconomics also by Mankiw, but they are very similar) is my favorite undergraduate introductory economics textbook. Note that this book will not contain any heavy (or even medium load) math. Its a very elementary book, but it hits the important topics on what the field is all about. In fact, I still keep a copy with me (although I have not opened it in a long time). I would say this book really opened my interest (and perhaps my introductory understanding) to the field of economics.

Verdict: Highly recommended buy!