4.0 out of 5 stars An Adequate Text
Principles of Microeconomics by Case, Fair, and Oster 9th edition was an adequate text for an introductory microeconomics class, assuming students received a good high school foundation in microeconomic terminology. Otherwise, the textbook will be confusing because it really stresses the mathematical and graphic foci of economics.

For example, the book places a...
Published on December 7, 2009 by Andrew Raker

2.0 out of 5 stars It was ratty and gross
It was very worn and not really in good shape, shocked you guys even took it an resold it, I am so grossed out by this book don't even want to touch it!
Published 17 months ago by Mary Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars An Adequate Text, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)

For example, the book places a lot of emphasis on cost and revenue curves: for example, it emphasizes time and time again where firms should be producing to make a profit, whether the firm be a perfectly competitive firm or a monopolistic firm. The book does not really talk a whole lot about firms in-between, but then determining profit in a monopolistically competitive firm or oligopoly is far more challenging than the hypothetical perfectly competitive firm.

Overall, I was satisfied with this textbook for an introductory level microeconomics course. It would have been nice if the book would have stressed norminative ecomomics a little more, rather than simply focusing almost entirely on positive economics, but I guess the authors felt that students would have received considerable instruction time for norminative economics in high school.

Also, along with the book, as a study resource, were PowerPoints (although I am not certain if you can access these PowerPoints when purchasing a text on Amazon.com, unless inside the book you can find an access code to online resources from the publisher).

The PowerPoints were pretty helpful in sumarizing the main points - the major themes, especially information like: when in a monopoly, profit is maximized where MR = MC (i.e. the monopoly will produce as long as MR is greater than MC), while in perfect competition, a firm will produce as long as the price is greater than MC. Because it is an introductory-level texts, 'exceptions' to the rules are not frequently discussed.

Overall Opinion:

The textbook is decent. I have read economics textbooks I liked better. I have suffered though economics texts that were worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
I bought this book for under $20 instead of what ever the most recent edition (I believe 11th or 12th) which we were asked to purchase for class for around $250, and it has served me PERFECTLY! I did have to go buy the access code to MyEconLab online for $55 but that is still less than half the price of the most recent edition and other than some page number differences and case study changes I have seen no major differences! The book itself came on time and was in pristine condition! Would highly recommend! I got the highest grade in my class on the first test using this "out of date" text book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book for class, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
Microeconiomics and macro are academic requirements for a lot of college degrees. If a person enjoys graphs and understands alegbra it is not too bad, Case, Fair and Oster provide some easier to understand information if that is possible. And actually if the teacher is interested in teaching the class, they can make the book work for the student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
I bought this version instead of the newer one because our professor said it's the same thing just with different page numbers. It's in perfect condition. Exactly what I needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was ratty and gross, January 29, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
A great quality book for the price I paid for it. It was exactly what I ordered and a great overall purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a keeper, March 20, 2012
The hard lesson I learned is that I purchased the brand new book because my school book store said the professor required the access code. He did not. That being said, the book itself is excellent whether learning microeconomics for the first time, or for a review. With this book, I was able to study this on my own to prepare for a healthcare economics course which required full understanding of microeconomics principles. Difficult concepts are explained well with new terms provided in the margins for easy studying. The illustrations and examples are very helpful and memorable. As much as I would love to sell my text book, I know I have to keep this as a reference for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars principles of microeconomics & myeconlab 9th edition, September 30, 2011
I was very impresses by how fast the book arrived. I will consider Amazon next time for sure and maybe even the Amazon book options like Kindle. My son has a Kindle and loves it. The book arrived in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relative book, September 19, 2009
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
This textbook is very easy to understand and the examples are interesting because the authors make it relative to the average student, whether young or old.
This book by far exceeds my first Macroeconomics text and I give a big thumbs up to those who contributed to the design and text in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Condition, February 28, 2010
M. Hayes (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) (Paperback)
When I received this book, it was nearly in excellent condition. I was very pleased with my shipment and especially pleased with how quick I received it in the mail. It arrived just in time for my class the next week.

Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition)
Principles of Microeconomics (9th Edition) by Karl E. Case (Paperback - September 12, 2008)
$225.00 $181.46