Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on August 28, 2008
I usually am a slow reader but this small book held my interest so much that I finished it in 2 nights. It grabbed my attention right from the
first page, it was easy to understand and kept me at the edge of my seat
until the very last page. One night after reading I experienced one of
the strangest, yet most peaceful feeling after retiring for the night as tho God was pleased with me with what I am doing with my time and my life.
22 comments48 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
I'm a big fan of Charles Stanley's writing (I've read everything he has published) and I was not disappointed with this one.

While the title is a bit misleading - given that there is little in the way of traditional Bible study guides - it is this very fact that makes the book unique, interesting, and quite helpful.

As always, Dr. Stanley's writing seems to reach me at a point when I most need the message his work contains. I'm sure I'm not alone, particularly with this book, since nearly all of the lessons inscribed will be beneficial to anyone who has made the decision to follow Jesus regardless of the costs involved. There are tyring times to be sure, but this book and the lessons it contains can go along way toward helping anyone see their circumstances from a different perspective.

Highly recommended!
on June 9, 2010
Excellent material! Super-informative; just like I knew it would be! This is a true man of God and Dr. Stanley speaks to my spirit. I truly enjoy his materials!
on April 25, 2008
This small book is a trasure that can be referenced again and again. Excellent!
0Comment23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
This book which Charles Stanley has written is a keepsake. What he has done is in each chapter is to share information with us which allows everyone who reads this book to arrive at a building a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father.In ten simple chapters he has dealt with every day topics which helps every christian to unlock the keys of moving closer to understanding how to study the bible. The book is well written and interspersed with examples and relevant biblical quotes to support what he has written. it is clear that Charles Stanley has written a book on material with which he is familiar. What is also of benefit is that the book is succintly written and is able to keep one's interest without being overly preachy or boring.
on April 16, 2013
I found this book extremely useful in my desire to understand the Bible. Charles Stanley does an awesome job of breaking things down so I can understand his views on how to really study, not just read, the Bible.
on January 31, 2013
I'm convinced now that anything Dr. Charles Stanley writes is golden!! A great guide to help us study and understand the Bible!!
on April 2, 2014
I recommend this Study Guide to ALL who follow Jesus Christ. It is well written, informative, and HARD TO PUT DOWN!
I bought one each for my granddaughter and my daughter & son in law. They are very happy with their copies! My copy is on my Kindle...I recommend it for those who read from Kindles also.

Dr Stanley is one of the most knowledgeable ministers & teachers. I recommend ALL that he writes!
on March 25, 2014
I am somewhat a fan of Dr. Charles Stanley and his teaching ministry so I had some high expectation to read and understand the Bible as he does. I have bee reading it over a couple times and thinking it over, I can declare that it's an effective book if you are willing to accept some caveats.

"Ten Principles" I suppose is a spin-off from his magnum opus, "30 Life Principles", in which he presents his philosophy to effective Bible-reading, giving the reader advice to have them go beyond just reading words on a piece of paper and encourage Christ-like character growth. At 145 pages, it was a rather quick read to be but in between those pages he elaborates ten points of insightful Bible study tips like what it is to life a surrendered life, listening to God's voice, trusting and obeying God, and thinking about specific passages for whatever circumstances in the reader's life. Being with familiar with his other book and sermons, this book seems to be condensed version of this other literature without making read like something that was copy and pasted.

The caveat I have to declare is that it is not an introductory level and not my first option for the new Christian. Those familiar with Dr. Stanley's preaching style is that he tends to be more neutral in his sermons, offering guidance without pushing or pulling the reader and so it continues here. For better or worse, no explicit directions are given so if read through the book, you are tempted think its contents are nothing you are already doing. Over time however, studying his principles are designed to elicit a genuine character change that may not may not be immediately noticeable - depending on the level of your faith, how effectively you study your Bible will be a very subjective matter.

In short, "10 principles" continues the Scripturally based self-discovery that earned him the ministry he has and will be profitable for the intermediate Christian who feels they have hit a wall in regards to their spiritual development or trying to establish some guidelines when you want to go beyond looking up your problems in a concordance.
on May 18, 2014
This a great book and a great book to live your life by, this is a great book by Dr. Charles Stanley, when you read the book, listen to message that Dr. Stanley is giving to you about your life and about the bible, It is a joy to read, you will learn a lot, it is worth reading.I learned a lot about the bible and myself. Worth reading.