5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can do these! A book that lives up to its title!
Published on January 11, 2011 by fredricka

3.0 out of 5 stars fun book - distracted by grammatical errors
Published on September 9, 2011 by Holly Troy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can do these! A book that lives up to its title!, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects (Paperback)
My creative undertakings in the past have consisted in buying creative things made by o-t-h-e-r people - like one of my faves, Christine Schmidt at Yellow Owl Workshop. But her book is so clear and thoughtful AND easy that she has me succeeding in making really neat things myself! I have finished three projects from her book and my only problem is that no one who knows me believes that I made them. She knows what she is talking about and makes it doable - even for people with high hopes and limited artistic confidence. I have been a fan of her for work several years and am even more so now as she has managed to make me see myself as creative too! (I'll still be buying her cards and jewelry and ceramics, though.)

3.0 out of 5 stars fun book - distracted by grammatical errors, September 9, 2011
I kept seeing this book in shops. It looked cute, and having taken printmaking in college, I thought it would be a fun book to have. For the beginner, this book is good. I just felt like there could be more techniques, say, for image transfers, or block printing. Then I was thinking, "OK, these projects are good for jump starting ideas," and they were, until I was distracted by grammatical errors. Maybe I am uptight, but it annoys when books are loaded with grammatical errors. There is even an error on the back cover! Where was the copyeditor when this book was going through publishing?

Besides the grammatical errors, the ideas are fun - though I wanted more. The publisher did a disservice to the author by not being more thorough in the editing process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - Easy for Beginners to Follow, December 29, 2010
I'm a longtime fan of Yellow Owl Workshop, particularly their stamp sets and screen printed stationery. Through Print Workshop, Christine imparts technical knowledge regarding various printing methods along with basic principles of design, all geared towards novice printers looking for fun projects that can be completed at home. Print Workshop is full of fun projects that would be great for kids/group activities and great ideas for customizing everything from personal note cards to clothing. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Exquisite!, December 28, 2010
I knew Christine Schmidt of Yellow Owl Workshop was talented---but this book exceeded even my expectations (which were high).

I love the graphics, the content, and the over-all sense of humor, whimsey, and knowledge that pours through.

It will make a wonderful gift---and I have ordered 5 books already

All I can say is --Martha Stewart, Watch Out!

I can't wait to see more and more and more from Yellow Owl Workshop
There seems to be no end to Christine's creativity

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspirational!, May 25, 2012
Ellen Black (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is awesome! I have a fine art background and minored in printmaking in college, and was looking for ways to replicate printing methods I learned in school without the 800lb printing press. This book really delivered! Christine definitely provides truly original ideas for DIY projects, but the techniques are something I can also use in my fine art practice. Printmaking can be one of the hardest things to pursue without a studio packed full of expensive materials and machinery, but this book provides wonderful adaptations for home printing. It is a great tool for those who want to craft, create, and experiment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner printing book, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Print Workshop (Kindle Edition)
This book was a nice primer. I have read it twice to make sure of details. I have been printing since 1965 and did find some new ideas in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, January 16, 2011
I bought this book based on the wonderful items I have purchased from Yellow Owl. I have tried a couple of the projects & have had great success. The instructions are clearly written, even for a novice. I am anxious to bring out my creative side with the help of this book. I of course will still purchase the unique creations from Yellow Owl. Christine is a wonderful artist & am anxious to see what she creates next!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for new printers or other artists alike, June 8, 2011
Cheri (NE Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
i have been (block) printing for a little over a year now and i still consider myself a beginner. this book has great advice for purchasing products. what to get, what not to, and where/how to shop. there are project ideas and instructions in the back that are super fun and super easy!! if you are new or even just researching, i would recommend this book to you. it is well written, humorous at times, and greatly informing.
i would pair this with the printmakers bible. it is much more expensive, but if you are serious then it is an investment well worth it. (and get it used ;) lol)

all in all i say two thumbs up. get it ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Book, April 2, 2011
E. Perry "ep." (MA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for anyone who wants to put their creativity to good use, but perhaps doesn't know a lot about the multitude of printing techniques. There is so much useful information, including supply lists, definitions, and step-by-step processes. I bought Printing by Hand at the same time, and I would highly recommend those two books together, but I honestly think if this is the only book you buy on the subject, you'll have all the info you need to work from.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than impressed, October 29, 2011
I never like to give unflattering reviews of books, because I can imagine how the author might feel in reading such reviews. So I'm just going to say.... ho-hum.

I've a bit of informal background in printmaking, which is the type of skill level this book seems to target. But even though I don't have formal art training, I can guarantee I would be able to develop more usable designs than the ones in this book. I have tried to pinpoint what I find problematic with Print Workshop, and the best I can come up with is "unconnected". The designs don't seem to relate to each other in any way. You know how an artist develops a body of work that interrelates? Well, this book doesn't reflect that - it's more of a hodge-podge. Perhaps that's what was intended in order to reach a wider audience, but for me, it failed.

For an alternative that really IS cohesive check out one of these (I own 'em all!):
Printmaking + Mixed Media by Dorit Elisha
Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin
Print & Stamp Lab by Traci Bunkers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects by Christine Schmidt (Paperback - December 28, 2010)
$19.99 $13.92