5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST do this book before you take the NCLEX!
Published on July 9, 2010 by LAS

2.0 out of 5 stars No consistency in answers. Very sloppy questions.
The reason something is correct in one question will be the reason something is incorrect in another question. For example, when asking what is best to delegate to an LPN, it will say that ambulation is something better delegated to a nursing assistant. Two questions later it will say that ambulation is appropriate to delegate to an LPN. Furthermore, it claims that orders...
Published 11 months ago by nycgold87

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST do this book before you take the NCLEX!, July 9, 2010
This review is from: Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX Examination, 2e (Paperback)
If you don't go through this book before taking the NCLEX, you are doing yourself a great disservice. I just took (and passed) the NCLEX, and there were many questions of the type in this book. I found the case study chapters to be a little less beneficial than the chapters in the front of the book, so if you are pressed for time, you can probably skip the case studies. And some of the questions in this book are harder than anything I saw on the NCLEX, but it is worth the mental pain to go through them. You will feel so much more comfortable when answering questions on the NCLEX that have to do with prioritizing which patient you assess first, which patient you should visit first, etc. Get this book. You will not regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for NCLEX Study-ers AND Nursing Students, July 17, 2012
I passed NCLEX in 75 questions

I wasn't really concerned that I wouldn't, but this book was an excellent study tool that I wish I would have even done as a student if I had the motivation. Excellent lessons and concepts are presented in this book regarding prioritization. I only disagreed with a few, and there were minimal errors throughout the book (unlike other books I used to study). I would highly recommend this book for students to help understand the responsibilities of nurses and other health care professionals, as well as those studying for NCLEX.

A little bit about myself to help calm nerves and possibly gauge your likelihood of passing (I know I would have appreciated this when I was reading book reviews). I graduated with my BSN in May 2012 with a 3.67 GPA, and I had my RN job lined up on an Oncology/Hospice unit the February before I graduated. I wasn't even going to study for the NCLEX, but became nervous when my many overdramatic nursing peers (even the smart ones) started signing up for KAPLAN and buying thick study books and material. I was confident that I didn't need KAPLAN, and I heard from my peers who took it that it was a waste of time (only benefit was the online test questions). In the end, I was glad I got a little nervous and studied. I think I could have passed without studying (maybe not as quick as 75 questions), but I would have been a nervous wreck without the confidence studying gave me.

My study recommendations:
1. Focus on doing practice questions (I used a combination of the NCLEX style questions from my nursing textbooks at the end of chapters, CDs that came with NCLEX study books I bought, question only NCLEX specific study books, and some online KAPLAN tests that my friend didn't use so she gave me her password for me to do them)
2. Don't bother reading your old textbooks
3. Don't kill yourself with memorizing meds (you probably won't recognize the ones you see on the test anyway)

Know that the test questions are mainly based on your common sense and general knowledge for solving a specific scenario. In total I think I did around 2,500 questions and averaged 60% on most of the practice tests I did. I felt like a failure when I was doing the practice tests because I thought my scores were so low, but honestly it prepared me for how I would feel during the test. I left the test feeling pretty good because I didn't feel any worse than when I would take all those confidence shattering practice tests. I studied for about 1 month and maybe a couple hours a day. Studying was surprisingly fun because the questions were like trivia and I learned a ton from them. I wish I would have been doing NCLEX questions throughout my entire nursing education just because I learned so much from them! Everything started coming together while I was studying. I actually feel like a very competent nurse having studied as much as I did. Maybe that's why they have us take it!

Finally the tools I used to study and the ones I recommend:
1. Lippincott's Q&A Review for NCLEX-RN (This was my favorite book and I highly recommend it. Enough questions to be your only study tool. High quality questions and minimal editing errors. Written by a FAAN awarded RN, which is basically the highest honor you can receive in the nursing world. Lippincott's Q&A Review for NCLEX-RN® (Lippincott's Review for Nclex-Rn))
2. Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment by LaCharity (Thought provoking questions with good lessons and minimal errors. Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX Examination, 2e)
3. Exam Cram NCLEX-RN Practice questions, third edition, Reinehart (I would NOT recommend this book. Many errors and lame questions that seem irrelevant, simple minded, or absurdly specific. This book will kill your study buzz. Only benefit was that it was small and easy to stick in my purse to carry around. NCLEX-PN Practice Questions Exam Cram (3rd Edition))
4. Online KAPLAN test questions (Used my friend's account to take comprehensive tests. Works great to share with a friend because you can take the 6 or 7 comprehensive practice tests they have multiple times. Glad I had that opportunity because it made me more relaxed while I was taking

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study tool, July 24, 2010
Someone who had taken and passed NCLEX the first time she took it highly recommended this book to me, and I am so glad she did. I too passed on my first try, and this book was a great study tool. Prioritizing patient care and delegating tasks to LPNs and CNAs were NCLEX questions that I was not very good at, so this book was very helpful. It's all Q & A, and I felt like doing NCLEX questions was the best way to study for the test.

Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, July 1, 2010
Hard book but it was one of the best ones wich helped me to pass. Saunders was also very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 16, 2010
Carrie Priest (Marysville, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for any nursing student. I have noticed some of my nursing exam questions have came straight from this book. I love that the questions are organized by content area. It has really helped me with delegation questions, and understanding the role of the LPN as well. It's also nice because it's small, if you don't feel like lugging around a 10lb. review book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for NCLECX TAKERS, January 17, 2011
Monica (Reno, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
I had my test this month and I used this review. I passed with 93 q's and I only used half of the book due to time constrictions. It breaks down the chapters by systems and it helps you concentrate on what is important to study. I strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to pass NCLEX buy this book!!!, February 11, 2011
OMG I took NCLEX-RN a few days ago and passed with 75 questions...I credit this book for most of my success on the exam. It is an absolute must. It has 18 chapters divided into content areas and as the title states deal specifically with prioritizing, delegating, and assigning. The rationales are great and really help you to understand why you chose to see Pt A instead of Pt B, C, or D. Excellent supplement to your NCLEX prep

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough but thorough, May 8, 2010
This book is great. The questions are tough and make you think. Great rationales. The book contains questions on specific systems as well as case scenarios. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A DEFINITE MUST-HAVE FOR NCLEX!, September 12, 2010
This book is essential for NCLEX preparation. It was highly recommended to me by several students one cohort ahead of me who already passed the exam, and I am so-o-o-o glad they told me about it. They informed me I would be surprised to learn what an LPN could and could not do, regardless of what I was taught. They were absolutely correct - there are many technicalities about delegation I have not found anywhere else yet. Prioritization is an especially tough topic for many, and this book does an outstanding job of helping you learn this skill. I can almost guarantee you will feel much better about it upon completion of this book. I think it is a must-have to increase your level of knowledge and build confidence to walk through the door of the exam testing center.

I really appreciate the way this book is organized, and think you will do best if you do the book in the order of which its chapters are written. There are 18 chapters by subject, and then 21 case studies. All answers are categorized as having a focus of either delegation, assignment, or prioritization. So, you can keep track of which areas you are doing better in, and you will know which area is your weakest. Of course, within the questions there is excellent review of all your basics such as ABGs, physical assessments, pathophysiology, etc. Hope this helps you in your book selections, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for NCLEX - RN, August 28, 2013
I took my NCLEX RN yesterday and am glad that I bought this book. I found PDA questions on the exams very easy. So may delegation and prioritization questions. I did 85 questions and I have done PVT and I got good pop up. I find this book very useful, but you have to study hard for the NCLEX RN. I recommend this book, Kaplan strategies, and Saunders for contents. You have to know the contents for the SATA questions, a whole lot them. You will need everything that you learned in the nursing school to pass the NCLEX. Please, before you take the board, get a copy of this book for the sake of prioritization and delegation questions.

Used & New from: $18.95