Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Prism Backdrops by Ravelli 6x10' (5.7x9' after pre-shrinkage) Black Muslin Photo Video Backdrop Background 100% Cotton
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fire TV Stick Pink Floyd Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 20, 2008
For the price that I paid I expected to get a very thin material. The material is a good weight and the black color is very sharp. I am very satisfied with this product.
on December 12, 2009
I love this backdrop. It is thick and appears very black in photos. You will get the look you're going for with this one. I would definitely recommend this backdrop to others.
on December 9, 2012
This is a high quality, heavy weight muslin backdrop. It comes packaged in a plastic bag inside a cloth bag. While it was wrinkled upon arrival, I see little alternative when a thicker muslin is the material in question. It took about 15 minutes and wasn't difficult to steam iron the backdrop (which worked well). The material itself is about right for creating the right deep black behind my subject matter. It does its job well. For those who don't keep their backdrop up, I suggest getting a cardboard tube from your local carpet retailer. The carpet is shipped on these rolls and they often have many laying around. Make sure it's clean, cut it to the right length and carefully roll the muslin onto it. Should save some wrinkles.
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2010
First off, let me say that I got this a couple weeks ago for $14.89 with shipping. I see that the price is higher today.

I wanted a black backdrop for taking some pictures at home of our baby girl.

For that, this is great. Especially for the price.

It should probably be ironed when you get it home. Or you can blur any creases in photoshop afterward. (thats what I did).

I put a piece of 3/4" PVC through the one end (there is a hem that you can feed it through) to make my own bar. This way I can roll it instead of folding it... trying to avoid more creases.

It works great for taking fun pictures at home. Kind of like the one I uploaded...
review image review image
This Prism Backdrops 6X10' Black Muslin costs the same as the thin tie-dye backdrops I bought from Cowboy Studio, Fancier studio and StudioPro. However, it's a step up in quality: heavier fabric, drapes nicely and suffers less light bleed through. My other backdrops feel like bedsheets! It also makes a great backing for thinner but more colorful tie-dye backdrops. Yes, it shipped with wrinkles and fold lines--after all it is 100% cotton--but a few minutes with a steamer made it smooth. However, it's jet black and normally a couple feet behind the subject and out of focus, so wrinkles normally aren't visible. If you're a hobbyist photographer you may find this backdrop more challenging to meter than medium toned backdrops: black fools meters into overexposing, so manual mode is the best way to go (set for subject exposure rather than scene).

One nice touch is it includes a protective bag with plastic window to check color. They included a cheap keychain LED too! The only con is the backdrop edge "surge" stitching is a little sloppy. I'm impressed and would love to buy more Prism Backdrops once they come out with something other than black, white and Chromakey Green.
review image review image review image
on May 4, 2010
I used this backdrop to take headshots of a high school theater class. The size was just right for the applicataion, easy to manage, deep black color. I investigated making my own backdrop, but after I saw the low price on this one I just bought it.
on January 2, 2014
Would like to point out that this is NOT an amazing quality backdrop. Sure it says Muslin but it's very lightweight and simple.

Now that said, I've gotten some beautiful photos with this backdrop. The price is perfect for home use and if you know what you're doing you can get some really great beautiful blacks.

My process:
I shine a really soft light on the backdrop itself, behind my models for a little backlighting & help prevent a dark shadow from my flash. I shoot with a Canon 60D, the 24-135 f/4L and a 430EXII flash bouncing off the white wall in a narrow room. I take all photos in RAW & small.

The RAWs are edited in Photoshop - I up Exposure / Blacks / Brightness / Contrast and reduce Vibrance & Saturation - the final product is a beautiful portrait with a stark black backdrop.

I use a curtain rod to keep the backdrop in place - works great.

Note: You DO need to iron this before using - it arrives very wrinkled but the packaging is great.
I keep the backdrop rolled up when not in use and this keeps it from needing to be ironed.

Quality for this price is so amazing I bought 2 more very soon after. Definitely recommend this for a starter black backdrop!
on December 20, 2013
You cannot use this backdrop unless it up against a dark wall unless you want light bleeding through it. If you have a dark wall you're going to use for your shoot, it's a good price and nicely sewn. If you have a light colored wall or window behind your subject, you will see everything through the backdrop. That said, it's a well constructed backdrop for under $20, so I don't have a lot of room to complain.
on September 10, 2014
This is a nice low-cost background that I use with a backdrop stand I built out of 1" PVC pipe. One end of the 9' long length has a stitched flap so that the background can be slid over the cross-section of my stand which is nice, (although sometimes I use clamps if I'm in a hurry.)

My only gripes are that the muslin is thin and I can see the light wall a few feet behind the background through the cloth, so I mount a black blanket behind this one on the stand. Also, it is a lighter shade of black than I was expecting, meaning that I frequently have to darken the background in post-processing to remove noticeable creases I don't want in a shot. No big deal though. I'd still definitely recommend this item.
on December 15, 2015
This came with a bag that closes with velcro to keep the background in. I also got a small LED flashlight for some reason. The fabric does need to be pressed or ironed, but is great quality, super happy!