4.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Jet Black' but not bad!
I will agree that these pencils are not 'Jet Black', even when used to layer and layer until the darkest tone can be achieved. I would call 'jet black' a 2B charcoal pencil (that's my comparison).

Published on February 22, 2011 by A'sFave

3.0 out of 5 stars Used to be great
Published on August 22, 2010 by Hannah_Fanta

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Jet Black' but not bad!, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Prismacolor Premier Ebony Graphite Sketching Pencil, Jet Black, Extra Smooth, Dozen - 14420 (Office Product)

However, having never used Ebony pencils before, I do like them and enjoy the varied strokes and layering you can do with them. I suggest starting out first using them very lightly then as you need to, build up the depth and tone. They are difficult to completely erase once the tone is quite dark/heavy on your paper.

I used them on Bristol paper and the combination of the smoothness of the paper and pencil gave for a lovely, rich working partnership. The pencils glided and were easy to 'manipulate' to the strokes and texture I wanted. They sharpen very nicley and I found working with them using the sharpest point possible was my preferred use. They do tend to smudge but this can be solved by placing a sheet of tracing paper under your working hand (I use tracing paper, as so I can still see what I have done/where I am upto etc.). A light fixative on the finished work will help the pencil not to smudge as it is being handled by the framer.

I would recommend these to any artist who enjoys drawing/sketching. I am an artist of 16 years now but only found out about Ebony pencils in January 2011! For quick sketching or more detailed work, you can achieve the lightest of tones and values with them (use your kneaded eraser to gently lift off pencil) or a dark enough tone/value, within the limits of the one pencil. You could combine a charcoal pencil to achieve 'jet black' tones/values, if you wished and they can be used on multiple surfaces with interesting effects.

3.0 out of 5 stars Used to be great, August 22, 2010
This pencil used to be great! I got another when I lost my first but now whenever I sharpen it the wood splinters and the lead breaks off. I'm using an art pencil sharpener, but no matter what I do I can never get it to have a decent point without it breaking. I'm not sure if it is just that particular pencil, but my other worked perfectly. I'm very disappointed in this pencil with its inconsistency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great :D, November 9, 2012
HELPFUL TIP FOR BUYER!:

When sharpening, make sure you use the BIG HOLE in the sharpener your using. It helps MUCH more.
But it will keep chipping off if you use the tiny hole!

THIS IS A AWESOME SKETCH PENCIL THAT MAKES ME HAPPY ALL DAY :D " in the future a lot further than you could imagine "

5.0 out of 5 stars Ebony, The Premier Prismacolor Graphite Full Range Pencil, Black!, April 28, 2013
Sherrie (Lynn, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
Prismacolor Premier Ebony Graphite Drawing Pencil - Ebony

I will always love my Ebony Graphite Sketching Pencils, Jet Black, its extra smooth and rich.
It produces the smoothest graphite deep rich saturation with little wear to the surface of the paper I am using.
I believe it is the addition carbon that allows the extreme tonal qualities, and artist can get from using this pencil.
I purchased a box of these and now house three in my Pencil carrier. My Pencil carrier is always in my Backpack and
alongside a Sketchbook and loose papers.
It works Beautiful in a Moleskine-art Sketchbook, Rising Stonehenge, Strathmore Bristol in both Vellum and Smooth.
I love sketching out problems on Newsprint, Layout Paper and Tracing papers in many varieties.
Yes, It is excellent for making your own Tracing paper.
A great purchase for Artwork, Writing, and Practice in all areas of the Pencil.

2.0 out of 5 stars very cheap wood, October 22, 2011
I agree with the previous reviewer who found these pencils to be poor quality.

They are made with very cheap wood that sticks and splinters in a sharpener resulting in broken lead and much frustration. Ive already used an inch off the pencils just trying to sharpen them. Im hoping the Design brand I also ordered are better quality.

I know the standard in general for pencils has gone way down over the years and the quality of wood is a common problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not black by any standard, February 18, 2013
Eireen (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
These are not at all jet black. They are around a 6B and have a metallic shine. They're nice and soft but if you are expecting black you will be disappointed. So far the 8B from Staedtler is the closest one to black that I have tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best drawing pencil ever, August 8, 2011
I like the soft lead and smooth lay down of this pencil. It is the only one I buy for my students. This pencil makes it easy to go from light to dark value, and the darks can get super dark!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, March 16, 2013
This product is exactly as described, nothing more, nothing less. It serves it's intended purpose as described. If you're looking for a sketching pencil, then you're not going to go wrong with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 6, 2012
These are great pencils! A classic in any artists kit.
Has the ability to be extremely light, or go really dark as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great pencils you will use up fast, August 29, 2012
Hi,I bought these pencils in early August. They arived in good shape no damage. The pencils won't get as black as a magic marker but they are graphite and can be blended and or erased. I draw animals, mostly birds and cats and dogs. That being said I use them a whole lot. These pencils are easy to draw with and blend well. However they are very soft and buttery and will wear down fast, so you might want to order 2 dozen. Besides there priced nice, I just ordered another dozen. I say great pencil great price. scott syracuse ny

Rate and Discover Movies