Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Package Quantity: 1Change

on May 18, 2013
I recently bought a Prismacolor pencil sharpener from Amazon and was initially a bit worried if I overpaid for a manual sharpener. Afterall, the description for this product says it's a "colored pencil sharpener" which is somewhat absurd being that any sharpener should be able to sharpen a colored pencil. Here's my take on the product.

First off, it's a lot smaller than I thought. I was expecting something possibly 4-6 inches, but this sharpener is really small; barely over 2 inches if that.
But here's the good news. It sharpens a pencil to a really good point. I actually bought some Mirado black warriors, an art kit with HB pencils and such and my art kit came with a terrible little sharpener.
Thank god for the prismacolor. It doesn't even take long to sharpen a pencil to a fine point and I haven't had any issues with breakage.

Another good tip you may want to know about is that instead of rotating your pencil to sharpen it, hold the pencil firmly in the sharpener and rotate the sharpener instead. You'll get good results every time.

I highly recommend this sharpener being that it's the best manual sharpener you can get for the price.
0Comment341 of 347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Who knew? I've been getting by with very cheap manual pencil sharpeners for years, and finally decided, after I'd invested in some Prismacolor pencils, to invest in a better sharpener.

HUGE difference. Like night and day difference. It takes very little effort to shave a pencil with this -- no forcing the pencil into the sharpener, just gentle twisting a few turns and you're done. I've used it on my cheaper pencils, standard No. 2 pencils, and my Prismacolor pencils, and it works equally well on all.

VERY happy with this.
0Comment303 of 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
Gorgeous pencils ruined by leads that break every quarter inch! I purchased the Prismacolor Sharpener and I sharpened through as much as three-fourths of a pencil in an attempt to reach usable lead! At first I thought it was the pencils, that perhaps someone had dropped my colored pencils on concrete then preceded to beat them with hammers before shipping them to me. But after experimenting with an eyeliner sharpener (pretty sad when a makeup sharpener works BETTER) I realized it was indeed the Prismacolor Scholar. The wood barrels crack up the sides and between one-quarter and one-half inch of a piece of lead falls out onto your paper each and every time you sharpen. A German Shepherd with a sweet tooth for colored pencils can gnaw a prettier point! An absolute waste of money. Please spare your inner artist the frustration and disappointment.
review image
2222 comments393 of 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2015
I received this today June 21, 2015. I'm a happy customer :-). The blade is made in Germany and it's manufactured in China. I like the color and it's handy.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment48 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
We go through a lot of pencil sharpeners, even the expensive electric ones. Our best sharpener is an old fashioned school sharpener that suction cups to the table, but as far as portable sharpeners (we homeschool and we draw a lot), this one is great. It doesn't oversharpen our expensive colored pencils either.
0Comment64 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
I haven't had any issues with the Prismacolor pencils breaking while using this pencil sharpener. It does a perfectly fine job for an incredibly cheap price. I would recommend using this one.
11 comment96 of 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
I have been on a long quest to find a sharpener, manual or electric that actually works. This does a very decent job of sharpening without breaking the point.
0Comment45 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I just recently got back into art and intricate coloring and found after getting the tips of 2 of my Prismacolor Colored Pencils chewed off by a sub par sharpener that I needed something better (to say the least. Prismacolor stuff is not cheap.). After searching a short bit I found this Prismacolor sharpener and figured since it was made by the company and "colored pencil" was in the title it would be perfect. I wasn't wrong.
This is a simple little sharpener that sharpens my colored pencils to a long point- almost like when I just got them. It doesn't break the tips off or mangle the wood below the color. Plus it sharpens to really fine points so when I am coloring more intricate patterns I can get multiple colors in the space.
A great little sharpener for a nice price : )
review image
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2013
I bought it and it came good and fast! But I sharpened a pencil once and pulled it out and it had been COMPLETLY cut up! Then I thought maybe a color pencil and it broke off the tip every time!! Overall if you want a sharpener don't get this one
0Comment48 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
Easy to use, compact and best of all, makes a nice long point on colored pencils. Some others kind of chew them up, but this works nicely. Best of all, it is inexpensive and small.
0Comment35 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse