4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book

Published on February 24, 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book, February 21, 2012
L. K. Whitley "casalinda2000" (Kuwait City, Kuwait Kuwait) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
I have read practically all of James Patterson's books and have enjoyed most of them. This one left me puzzled but I couldn't figure out why. The story is engaging, characters are well-developed and it moves along at a fast pace. It does take place in London but that was not the problem. I finally realized that the style of writing is not James Pattersons. After you read a lot of his books, his writing style becomes apparent. This book is totally different. I wondered which of the two listed authors actually wrote it. It is well-written just not like the other Patterson books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really enjoying this Private, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
Having read the first two books in the Private series I was anticipatng a good read with this most recent one, Private Games. I have made it through to Chapter 9 and am really struggling. I agree with a previous reviewer that states they can tell that James Patterson did not write this one. The narrative style is completely different. I enjoyed the first two Private books and not just because they were set in L.A. The writing was quicker paced, the characters more enjoyable and the grittiness of the storylines made me want more. LEt's see if I can get through this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Kindle Edition)
I realize James Patterson does not actually write most of his books. I understand he makes the outline and another author actually writes the page by page lines. That being said, I usually love his books anyway and have read most everything he has written This was one of the worse books I have read with Pattersons name in the title. The only one worse was "The Postcard Killers" which had absolutely NO story line. I was so looking forward to this Private because the first 2 in this series were so good. Unfortunately, the co-writer is not the same as the others and it is not anywhere near as good. If Patterson is going to have a series, at least have the same co-writer for all of the series books!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge James Patterson fan so having to choke down this book was disappointing. It was hard to get into and the dialogue was almost juvenile. The story itself was moronic. I love to read and have read a lot of books and this one may be one of the worst I have ever read. If I had a choice on number of stars it would be zero.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, June 15, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
Being a Patterson fan (I do not read the kid books) this one was just a flat failure, it just didn't have the suspense that a Patterson story usually has and the characters fall flat of being interesting. It is a quick easy read and I did finish it but the 'Private' series will fall completely flat if the stories don't get more interesting and suspenseful. I don't buy the concept of the investigation firm getting the high priority jobs especially the Olympics! I'd say don't waste your money and just pick it up at a garage sale if you want to read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
Lord, but this book IS rubbish! Mark Sullivan seems no better than the other lacklustre writers (& I use the word writers loosely) who pen Patterson's
abysmal works these days. Clearly, quality writing is no longer the aim of Patterson these days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, February 19, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
I wish I would learn my lesson and stop buying these kinds of books. The murders are gruesome, young children are kidnapped, and the reader (in the audio version) is hard to understand. I just don't like these kinds of books. I have read almost all of James Patterson's books, but the latest books which are co-authored, are not the same.

I was looking forward to a story centered around the 2012 Olympics, but not this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scooby Dooby Doo..., February 17, 2012
soccermom (Hogville, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
From the very beginning I thought this book was very Scooby Doo-ish. Far-fetched plots, and a corny climax. The epilogue was even cornier. I'm disappointed in James Patterson. However, I will say that it wasn't boring, hence three stars. Doubt I'll read the rest of the Private books.

1.0 out of 5 stars His Worst Ever, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Paperback)
It looks like Mr. Patterson (or someone pretending to be him) slapped this tome together to take advantage of the public's focus on the 2012 Olympic Summer Games in London. There wasn't much thought put into either the characters or the plot. It was an ordeal to complete the book, and I almost gave up early on. I am glad that I didn't pay for the book, choosing to read a public library copy instead. I have read all of Patterson's novels, and I agree with the other commentators that the quality has suffered ever since Patterson began to delegate novel writing to co-authors. I will no longer read anything by Patterson if a co-writer appears on the cover page. At least the editors could have made an effort to massage the writing so that the style "appeared" to be Patterson's rather than the co-author's.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Private Games (Hardcover)
Thankfully I didn't buy this book but got it from our local library. I gave up on page 180 - and too bad as the Maxine Paetro written first two in the series were pretty good. This one - implausible settings, characters shallow and the plot dumbed to the point of being a sleep aid. Too bad that James Patterson doesn't write his own books any longer - but that's called "success" when a gopher does your work for you

Private Games