Be the first to understand .NET 4.0 and Visual Basic 2010. Pro VB 2010 and the .NET 4.0 Platform provides developers with a complete guide to the new technology, explaining the importance of all the key VB 2010 language features. This edition has been comprehensively revised and rewritten to make it accurately reflect the VB 10 language specification for the .NET 4.0 platform. Youll find new chapters covering the important concepts of dynamic lookups, named and optional arguments, Parallel LINQ (PLINQ), improved COM interop, and variance for generics.
The first edition of this book was released at the 2001 Tech-Ed conference in Atlanta, Georgia. At that time, the .NET platform was still a beta product, and in many ways, so was this book. This is not to say that the early editions of this text did not have meritafter all, the book was a 2002 Jolt Award finalist and it won the 2003 Referenceware Excellence Award. However, over the years that author Andrew Troelsen spent working with the common language runtime (CLR), he gained a much deeper understanding of the .NET platform and the subtleties of the VB programming language, and he feels that this sixth edition of the book is as close to a final release as hes come yet!
If youre checking out this book for the first time, do understand that its targeted at experienced software professionals and/or graduate students of computer science (so dont expect three chapters on iteration or decision constructs!). The mission of this text is to provide you with a rock-solid foundation in the VB programming language and the core aspects of the .NET platform (assemblies, remoting, Windows Forms, Web Forms, ADO.NET, XML web services, etc.). Once you digest the information presented in these 25 chapters, youll be in a perfect position to apply this knowledge to your specific programming assignments and explore the .NET universe on your own terms.
What youll learn
- Discover the ins and outs of the leading .NET technology.
- Learn from an award-winning author who has been teaching the .NET world since version 1.0.
- Find complete coverage of the WPF, WCF, and WF foundations that support the core .NET platform.
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone with some software development experience who is interested in the new .NET Framework 4.0 and the VB language. Whether you are moving to .NET for the first time or are already writing applications on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5, this book will provide you with a comprehensive grounding in the new technology and serve as a complete reference throughout your coding career.
Table of Contents
- Introducing VB 2010
- Building Visual Basic 2010 Applications
- Core VB 2010 Programming Constructs, Part I
- Core VB 2010 Programming Constructs, Part II
- Defining Encapsulated Class Types
- Understanding Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Understanding Structured Exception Handling
- Understanding Object Lifetime
- Working with Interfaces
- Understanding Generics
- Delegates, Events, and Lambdas
- Advanced VB 2010 Language Features
- LINQ to Objects
- Configuring .NET Assemblies
- Type Reflection, Late Binding, and Attribute-Based Programming
- Processes, AppDomains, and Object Contexts
- Understanding CIL and the Role of Dynamic Assemblies
- Dynamic Types and the Dynamic Language Runtime
- Multithreaded and Parallel Programming
- File I/O and Object Serialization
- ADO.NET Part I: The Connected Layer
- ADO.NET Part II: The Disconnected Layer
- ADO.NET Part III: The Entity Framework <...