5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete and detailed - Highly recommended
Book review - "Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010, by Matthew MacDonald, Adam Freeman and Mario Szpuszta. ISBN-13: 978-1-4302-2529-4 - Published by APRESS

Published on September 14, 2010 by Gilbert M. Vanegas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ASP.Net Resource, but bad Kindle Version
I second the previous comment that mentioned how unfortunate it was that images were used for code snippets for the Kindle version.

If you increase the font on your Kindle, the code doesn't increase in size, since it's an image.

The code snippet images are small, and difficult to read.

Beyond that, the book is very thorough, and helpful in...
Published on May 7, 2012 by B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete and detailed - Highly recommended, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)

Hi all, this is my book review of the new "Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 book". Since .NET framework 4.0 went into production in June 2010, I was pleased to see that an ASP.NET book targeting the .net framework 4.0 is out for publication. Also, I was pleased to see that the samples deal with C#. I believe that C# will be the dominant language in the .net framework arena for the foreseeable future. As one who programs in both C# and VB.NET, I would have to lean towards C# as the language of choice. We can see this trend also in the fact that most of the latest programming examples out there related to .NET framework are written in C#.
In general, we don't see a whole lot of new features in ASP.NET 4.0, but there are supposed to be improvements in performance and stability in ASP.NET 4.0.
New features worth mentioning include:
* Session state compression for out of process session state service (such as the venerable adStateServer sql server storage for session state)
* ASP.NET MVC - an alternative way (other than classic webforms way) to separate your website logic into three logical parts (Model, View and Controller). This MVC pattern has been around for awhile now, but it is now officially adopted into ASP.NET 4.0. Some people love the MVC model and believe it simplifies while others believe MVC just adds extra effort.
* ASP.NET Dynamic Data - A way of quickly generating data-centric websites that focus on viewing and editing database records. The pages are populated by inferring the schema of the data model (Entity Framework or LINQ to SQL) It is based upon LINQ (language integrated query). The dynamic data model is supposed to also allow more advanced customizations, than you may have seen with this type of "easy, code-generation of database data for maintaining websites" in the past.

As I read through this book, I realized that ASP.NET 4.0 is still based upon technologies that have been around for years now. ASP.NET 4.0 is a very mature and powerful technology. Much of the content of this book covers topics that would be covered in earlier versions of ASP.NET. This is not a criticism at all because the authors of the book meant to give a "complete description and understanding of ALL of ASP.NET" and not just coverage of the new features in ASP.NET 4.0 (of which there are relatively few new features as I previously stated). This book is almost 1600 pages long and has excellent coverage of the diverse topics that fall under the umbrella of ASP.NET.
This book is a complete treatise on ASP.NET topics such as:

* Web forms
* Server Controls
* User Controls
* An explanation of the ASP.NET processing pipeline and how they work including HTTPMODULES.
* An explanation of ASP.NET state management (remember HTTP is a stateless protocol, so ASP.NET has including things like View State, Session State and Application State as an abstraction of state that helps developers build web applications).
* ADO.NET - how to talk to databases with the .net framework - also explaining the use of dataset objects in disconnected architectures
* Explanation of databinding (especially in terms of the objectdatasource/sqldatasource controls)
* How to use data centric server controls (read up on gridview /formview /listview /detailsview) server controls.
* An examination of LINQ (which is a relatively new topic to the .net framework and has to deal with being able to query and iterate through collections of data in a common way using a language known as LINQ (language integrated query)
* How to use caching to solve issues such as increasing website performance and scalability of your web applications.
* How to deal with XML and the many ways of getting at xml (XPATH/LINQ/XSL etc.)
* How to write and use USER Controls which are a way for developers to easily reuse "nuggets" of programming and presentation layer by encapsulating the content into a user control A user control can then be "dragged" onto a page design surface and be used over and over within your website.
* Themes and Master Pages cover the ways that ASP.NET can enable reuse and standardize the "look and feel" of a website.
* Navigational Controls - (recommended readings are about sitemap /menus /multiviews)
* How to manage and deploy websites, whether it be simple xcopy, or use of web deployment packages).
* A very detailed explanation of ASP.NET security, including forms authentication and ssl. What I particularly appreciate about this book is it has very detailed information about the built-in security features that come with ASP.NET (these security features first came out in ASP.NET 2.0). This includes the ASP.NET membership api/forms authentication /role providers /profile providers and how to check principal permissions. There are more than 40 detailed pages on how to build your own custom membership provider which basically extends upon the provider model provided in ASP.NET. In my opinion, out of the box security concepts as provided in the membership/roles/profile providers are one of the most powerful and time-saving measures in ASP.NET. For example, I am building a custom "membership" portal that builds upon the standard forms authentication/membership provider/role and profile provider. This stuff is powerful and gets you up and running very quickly, much more quickly than if you had to roll your own authentication/authorization/user profile programming code. Believe me, I've been there and done that (wrote my own custom security code), but in today's fast paced software developer world, it's nice to be able to piggy back on ASP.NET security because it's powerful, well designed and easy to implement. I think this area is one of my most favorite topics of this book, because it has so much useful information here.
* The book goes on to deal with nice chapters on creating ASP.NET server controls, ASP.NET server controls are a way for programmers to build their own control that can be placed into the visual studio toolbox and used as a software component. Those of you who are familiar with Infragistics/Telerik and Component One know that server controls are powerful ways of allowing programmers to take advantage of nice web control suites to build very nice web interfaces. The companies mentioned above have written their own server controls that are available for programmers use. Microsoft also supplies ASP.NET server controls out of the box (textbox/gridview) etc. In this book, the chapter shows you the API that Microsoft provides so that any programmer can build their own server controls.
* How to deal with graphics and gdi programming as pertains to the ASP.NET world. Things like using pens/brushes as you would see in any type of graphics programming.
* JavaScript and Ajax get good treatment in this book as well, Ajax is an important technology in today's web environment for enabling very rich, responsive web user interfaces.
* Web parts are covered also in this book which is a neat technology, CMS systems such as SharePoint, make heavy use of web parts, so this is a must read for serious ASP.NET developers who also may want to leverage SharePoint and build custom web parts.
* MVC/Silverlight and dynamic data round out the rest of the book. Silverlight is an exciting technology that I expect to really get into in the near future, Silverlight 4 just came out and I want to see if we can build real business applications (LOB) with it. Dynamic data I have high hopes for, I haven't had a chance to play around much with it (Deadlines, deadlines), but I hope to see what dynamic data can do for me, this is one of the newest topics out in ASP.NET 4.0.

WHEW! This book has a LOT of useful information for any ASP.NET developer, even though I own at least 4 other ASP.NET programming books, I would definitely rate this book as a "must-have", it is chock-full of information that developers can use and take advantage of. As a full-time programmer, the more productive you can be, the more versatile and valuable you can be (not to mention, the more income you can generate). I highly recommend this book for those of you who use ASP.NET, it is very complete and the authors did a very commendable job detailing the broad and diverse topic of ASP.NET programming! With this book, you can tell a ton of effort was put into it. Note that there is also a "beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010" book also published by Apress, I haven't had a chance to look at it, but the "pro" book that I am reviewing here certainly qualifies as professional level, because of the depth and breadth of its content!
One thing the book DOES lack, however is a sample website or "final project" that I have seen other ASP.NET books provide. I downloaded the source code for the book and it has samples for every chapter in the book. This book rocks though for sure!!!
With ASP.NET technology, it is a proven platform for building web applications and Microsoft has built something very powerful over the years. ASP.NET (and in general the .net framework) along with the excellent Microsoft Visual Studio programmers IDE is, in my humble opinion the best in class web programming environment out there. You can't go wrong by choosing ASP.NET as your web development platform of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, August 1, 2011
Paul Gehrman (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
At almost 1500 pages, this book covers ASP.NET in great detail. It gives a good overview of just about any topic you can think of in the .NET 4 framework, and the explanations and code examples are clear. You couldn't really ask for much more.

I also appreciated the authors' honesty with respect to the subject of LINQ to Entities. While many authors (and unfortunately a lot of developers) have fawned over this technology (and ORM generally), the authors state with regard to LINQ to Entities: "At worst, this model breaks down the proper division of layers in a carefully structured component-based application, [and] confuses data retrieval with data processing". (Bingo! ORM in a nutshell. This idea that you should essentially model your data twice and largely ignore the primary purpose of your business layer which is to solve problems, not model data).

The authors go on to say: "It's no exaggeration to say that LINQ to Entities gives developers the most powerful tool for shooting themselves in the foot that they've had in a long time. If in doubt, and if you don't need the more powerful LINQ to Entities features, it's best to stick to the more modest approach of simple [what a concept!], straightforward [ORM isn't straightforward?!] ADO.NET commands." While this short passage may not seem that important in the context of a 1500 page book, it is enormously so. The development community has become somewhat smitten with ORM and the OO astronauts have won some battles in the larger war. This is why I appreciate the authors providing such important advice here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, but beware on Kindle, December 8, 2010
I love the Professional series Apress books, especially those written by MacDonald or Troelsen. But my bookshelves are overflowing and I've had to resort to stacking them on the ground. I took the plunge and bought a Kindle and started getting some of my books in that format. This is where the Apress books faulter. When displaying source code it is provided as an image instead of text which results in the following:
* Book has a MUCH larger file size (10-20MB range)
* Source code is often blurry even after zooming
* Source images are sometimes cropped on the edges resulting in missing brackets or quotes
* You can't cut & paste the text (because it's an image instead)
* It's difficult or impossible to highlight or make notes as I like to do on an important piece or where I dicover an error.

I also purchased some O'Reilly books and at least the ones I have display their source code as text in a different font type so it is still quite usable and in a much smaller file size.

While it is not a show stopper it could be much better and more productive if they left images to diagrams and charts and kept the source code as text. I'm still glad I got the book as it is so informative, it just had more potential in the Kindle format. I'd give the book itself 5 stars, but the Kindle version only 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource and great book, September 5, 2010
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
I've been getting this same book (Pro ASP.NET X in C#) for years now. This is the third version I have. These books have helped me become a master in this technology. The authors always know what they're talking about and everything is well explained and concise. Both a good book to read and to use as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK FOR PRO DEVELOPERS, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
This is really a book for pro ASP.NET developers, it describes a lot of issues about the subject. Actually, I have only read 5 chapters and I have learned very much compared to other books which teach you how to write an ASP.NET app but do not cover the inner workings. Nevertheless, I reviewed every topic covered in the index and I am sure I bought what I was looking for although patience should be on your side to read about 1500 pages.
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to get an in-depth understanding of such a technology.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ASP.Net Resource, but bad Kindle Version, May 7, 2012
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)

The code snippet images are small, and difficult to read.

Beyond that, the book is very thorough, and helpful in learning or reviewing the concepts of web development in ASP.Net.

The concepts are presented in a clear method, and the author makes good use of code examples.

The downloaded content are saved in .Net solutions, so they can be opened, and examined, tested, modified, etc.

Overall, it is worth purchasing, and is a valuable addition to your technical resource library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Learning ASP.NET 4, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
I'm a professional developer by trade but all of my experience is developing desktop software for Mac and Windows. I wanted to start learning web development so I purchased this book and I'm not disappointed. The first few chapters do a great job explaining how web technologies work, the lifetime of web pages and details about the stateless nature of the interaction between the web browser and web server. This is exactly the level of information I needed to build on.

The chapters later in the book cover a broad spectrum of topics (see table of contents for details) but the authors manage to tie it all together. And the information presented is in a very logical order. I especially appreciated the overview chapter on State Management (chapter 6). The authors do a good job comparing the various view state management techniques and why you'd choose one method over another.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to learn about this subject matter in detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book with bugs, September 14, 2012
I buy this book for preparation on MS certification. I have 6 years of ASP.NET programing behind me in .NET 1.1-4. I found this book is good for my repeat, but their have bugs in text, like tables of methods where are method's for another class and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
This book is the best! I can't believe I hadn't heard about it before. Super well organized, the authors explain every topic in full detail, it is super easy to follow and understand!
Highly recommended! This book is definitely a MUST! I got the printed version and I am totally considering to buy the kindle version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a book for real professionals who want real money., August 6, 2012
This review is from: Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 (Paperback)
I think of the APRESS .NET books as "company man" material. This is the kind of stuff that you learn from drudging away in an office. Anyone who wants to take their .NET seriously and make money will love it. Page after page of how to stuff that is often not found in the Microsoft certification books. Many coding texts give lots of theory and, frankly, too much science. This is the kind of book that will lead you right into professional life. Much like Programming Python this book assumes that you don't need to be taught the basics and are not a hobbyist.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010
Pro ASP.NET 4 in C# 2010 by Adam Freeman (Paperback - June 28, 2010)
Used & New from: $6.71