5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read if you are a Nebraskan
Published 21 months ago by Nancy H

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Behind-the-Scenes Story, Nice Midwestern Flavor
I had never heard of Caril Ann Fugate or Charlie Starkweather. I downloaded this on a whim and read it through - sometimes, I only get through a chapter or two and delete the book. I enjoyed hearing about the McArthur family who seem like fine, normal, compassionate people unswayed by politics or public opinion. I wish they'd run for office.

Caril Ann's...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read if you are a Nebraskan, November 6, 2012
I just finished reading Jeff's book Pro Bono. As a young child living in Lincoln when the murders occured I grew up believing what I read that Caril was guilty. I started to have doubts when Ninette Beaver made her documentary on Caril but there was no one to bounce thoughts off of as to whether they saw things as I now did. This book answered so many questions for me. I urge everyone to read this book - the only one out there that actually used the trial transcripts and first hand knowledge from the author's father and grand-father who were Caril's attorneys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informational But Needs Editing, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Pro Bono - The 18-year defense of Caril Ann Fugate (Kindle Edition)
I did find information in this book that I had not read before about this famous case. The author made his points fairly well, but I did note some editing errors. For example, actor Brian Dennehy's name is consistently spelled Denehy. As of this date, the pictures in the ebook do not load.
I hope people read the book with an open mind and try to judge the case based on facts, not rumors or assumptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Riveting! Informational without being sensational., March 1, 2013
What a refreshing true crime novel. The author focuses on the people instead of the violence. You get a feeling of who the victims were along with the perpetrator. I believe that the author bent over backwards to give both sides of the story using actual evidence instead of rumor! Well worth the read whether you are interested in the crime or the laws & changes from the 1950's to the 1970's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully inspiring, January 13, 2013
This was such a well researched and explained version of a story the media was so biased on. It's heartbreaking to see a life taken away and one of someone who was so kind and gentle. It was a book that helped me see something in myself that I was keeping imprisoned. I appreciate the work the McArthur men did on Caril's behalf and that they made it public.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Behind-the-Scenes Story, Nice Midwestern Flavor, March 3, 2013

Caril Ann's story was hard to read. I can't believe the way the police, the prosecutors, and some public figures in this story behaved toward this poor child - because she WAS a child when this happened. Even given the number of people brutally murdered, the confessions at the beginning and the way she acted should have made them aware their theory on her needed some testing. Thankfully, she had the McArthur family in her corner, and that, as Robert Frost would say, has made all the difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perspective from defense of Ms. Fugate, January 29, 2013
Not much information with regard to the actual events, more a look at various theories. Well written but perhaps not as interesting as it could have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 18, 2013
Great characters. Gripping story. Easy to relate to the frustration of the characters.Underscores how the jury system can work poorly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, December 3, 2012
There is only one mention of Charlie getting the prognosis of blindness within one year of diagnosis, that's enough to drive any teenage boy to do horrible things. There was alot said about his childhood, but nothing about his fast approching blindness. I went thru the same thing with my brother and he tried to kill my father! Any teenager with rageing hormones & a life altering problem needs to be carefully cared for, doctor's need to take heed. This is not an excuse for Charlie's mayhem but some attention to the matter could have helped. An interesting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, September 25, 2012
This book is fascinating in subject matter. The author did an exceptional job of drawing you into the story and logically taking you through the details of this case.
I could not put it down once I started.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caril - innocent or guilty?, April 13, 2013
I've just finished reading this book and I must say it is highly biased. Mr McArthur admits as much as his father and grandfather were Caril's lawyers. He neglects to mention the many opportunities Caril could have escaped from the house and instead concentrates on the least likely occasions where she would have found it practically impossible for her to do so; for instance, at the Meyer farm and the storm cellar where Charlie killed the two teens, and when his car was in the garage where Caril was still in the car. Then McArthur almost blames Mrs Ward for not attempting to escape.

Why didn't Caril escape when she went out to fetch the mail from the mailbox, or when her sister and brother-in-law came to the house. Caril ran out to apologise for being so cranky and then said her parents would be killed if they didn't go away. She could have asked her sister to take her away from the house. Then when the police came to the door, instead of telling them she was a hostage, she let Charlie know that the police were at the door.

Another issue is when Caril took the lie detector test on TV. McArthur maintains she passed the test "with flying colours" but in reality the operators concluded that she had told the truth in two out of the three questions she was asked. The questions were: (1) Did Charlie Starkweather threaten to kill her family? (2) Did Caril believe his threat? (3) while on the road with Charlie, did she know her relatives were dead? Caril replied "yes" to the first two and "no" to the second. it doesn't take any stretch of imagination which question they felt she wasn't telling the whole truth, bearing in mind she saw the newspaper articles at the Ward house. She maintains she didn't read the articles but she saw the photographs of her parents.

Also, DA Scheele had a hard time getting Caril to respond to his questions and had to ask her the same question several times before she replied. Her sullen and hard demeanour on the stand didn't make her out to be a helpless victim.

All in all, Mr McArthur doesn't make a very convincing case of her innocence. The book gave a good background of his family and their beliefs, but all in all a disappointing book.

Rate and Discover Movies