I bought this book because I thought it would have a practical and extensive chapter on making APIs in Django. Unfortunately I could not preview that chapter before buying. The API chapter is good, but it was not extensive enough compared to what I was looking for.

Published 18 months ago by S. Jamal

3.0 out of 5 stars Hastily done but contains a few gems
More a collection of examples that dig unusually deeply into the Django framework than a serious overview or reference text but it has a nice description of the model implementation and contains enough of interest to be worth the money to any serious django developer.

Published 18 months ago by Paul Whipp

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detail on the nuts and bolts of Django 1.5, but I wish it had more code examples, August 27, 2013

The other chapters have great information, especially the chapters on how to make custom template tags and filters, URLs, views, decorators, etc. I also think the section on "Pending Forms" will be useful for me.

I just wish it had more code examples to complement the explanatory text. Also, I would like to see more code examples that include file names and file contents where he had put examples that use interactive python (>>>). This would have helped a great deal for an intermediate-level Django user such as myself (I want to take a star off for this reason, but the book is geared towards more advanced users and probably they would not need such code examples, so I think it wouldn't be fare to deduct a star). Still, I think this book will be a good reference for intermediate users.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hastily done but contains a few gems, August 30, 2013
Paul Whipp (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Django (Expert's Voice in Web Development) (Paperback)

The second edition has been put out a little hastily and there are quite a few typos and formatting errors which jar and can sometimes be confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Python at work in Django, February 7, 2014
I would probably re-title this book, "Python at work in Django" or something of that sort. This book is more of the nuts and bolts of the inner workings of Django, which at it's core is python. Chapter 2 will try to get your python knowledge up to speed to understand the other chapters. It does have code examples but mostly to explain the pythonic activity of a particular feature in Django. Considering that the author had to convey some pretty complex ideas involving meta programming he actually succeeds better than some python books I have read. Admittedly, I first bought this book as an intro into Django and I couldn't appreciate it. Only after using Django for a while did I revisit this book and I was thankful I had bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Django, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Pro Django (Expert's Voice in Web Development) (Paperback)
I can't really vouch for the quality of the book; a beginners approach to Django was what I was looking for, and this book is not intended for this.

Pro Django (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Pro Django (Expert's Voice in Web Development) by Marty Alchin (Paperback - July 9, 2013)
$49.99 $44.79