Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Video Game|Change

on September 28, 2011
Initially, I didn't plan on getting PES 2012 but after playing around with FIFA 12 and noting the upgrade from last year to this year and also wanting to find out why there are so many mixed feelings on the two, I broke down and bought PES anyway.

I will preface by saying that I have not gotten a chance to completely go through both games to see all of the differences. While I did play FIFA 11 if did not play PES 2011 so I have no way to compare last year's game to this one at this time. I have not finished a season nor have I really had a chance to play online and quite frankly I am not an online player, now if I can get more of my friends into these games I would play online more (HINT!). I did however play mostly with the modes and options that mattered to me and for anyone else; so I will say that your miles may vary with your own personal experience. However after playing through both games, I felt that I could give you as a reader a glimpse of what you may or may not like about both.

For starters, let's just come out and talk about licensing, since that is what matters to some. FIFA has ALL of it. PES doesn't, but it does have some. However, one thing I DO like about PES (let me add that I am playing both on the 360)is that as long as your team is not licensed, if you have that kind of time on your hands, you can go in and tinker all you want until you have your team even the logos (someone hurry up with that patch!). For example, only Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspurs are licensed in the English League therefore you can't edit the unis for them. Any other team in there you can go to town, especially if there are some kits that you think are just hideous, you can make to your liking and that's something I may do if time is available. PES of course has rights over the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup competitions as well as Copa Santander Libertadores. People who really want these competitions may lean towards this title.

Next up, since we are talking about visuals, I have to say that PES does lean a little more towards authenticity in terms of STATIC graphics as far as dynamic lighting and even the crowd. I noticed that game crowds happen to wear the home team kits and while the animations for them is a little too uniform (when will people start taking notes from 2K Sports about crowd animations??) it's surely a lot better looking than the cardboard cutouts in FIFA. Another small thing I did note is that stadiums tend to be empty or full depending on the type of match or popularity of your team in PES. Playing a friendly and your starts aren't in, your stadium may just have enough people in the lower levels, play your rival and it's packed. Even the time of day and year makes a diference in the lighting effect and adds somewhat to the immersion. Small touches like that can sell me on a game. As far as in game animation, I would say that FIFA has PES beaten in some areas as there are more animations when players collide on each other or play on the ball and this is in part due to the new physics engine. Player likenesses, however I lean more towards PES as some of the faces and skin tones look closer to actual players than FIFA does. Also, some players in PES tend to be more animated in PES than FIFA in terms of missed shots, fouls or even just warming up on the field.

As far as the game play itself, which a lot of people put a lot of emphasis on, I can see why people say that FIFA feels more 'arcadey'. In PES, I felt that you really had to have more skill to maneuver the ball down the pitch and build up the play before you can just let one fly. The controls in both games seem to be very precise and even though you have a sprint button in both (as well as a Speed burst in PES), in PES just because you hold the sprint button down for any player, doesn't guarantee that you are going to run past and beat defenders downfield as sometimes will occur in FIFA 12. And actually giving credit where it's due with the tactical defending, push/pull system and the ability to call in a 2nd team mate, FIFA has almost eliminated sprinting abuse. PES also has some of these elements built into the game already and although I didn't play last year's iteration, it makes me wonder if this is something the PES has done for awhile and EA Sports just caught up to this, added it in and is selling FIFA 12 based this feature. I wouldn't be surprised. Both games also have the ability to allow you to tinker around with your on the field playing style and tactics so you can manage the game how you want. I do feel however, that the games are neck and neck as far as game play, especially on defense, is concerned.

Well, so far it may seem like PES has an advantage, but where does it fall down? By the end of the week this may change, but the rosters are not 100% up to date out of the box and I think that there are a few players whose stats are overblown, but I did read yesterday afternoon that a patch is due out to address some of these issues. One glaring thing I saw was that Cech Fabregas was still playing for Arsenal (North London) and Tom Cleverley was still out on loan. Again when this patch drops, hopefully this will be cleaned up. There also is no substitution animation in PES. When you make changes you simply get an alert as to who is in and who is out. May not mean much to some (hey refer back to my stadium crowd issue)but that was a touch I like in FIFA. The biggest issue I have with this game is the commentary. I am sorry but Jim Beglin and Jon Champion are in need of No Doz. There are many stretches of the game where they may barely say the players' name or nothing at all and build no excitement to watching the play unfold until a shot is attempted. This is one area that FIFA shines in that no matter which English commentary team you get, you will feel immersed into the game.

This year's sound trax on both are pretty hit or miss to me and really if I had it my way, I would find (Hmmm something to do later) a way to put my EA trax from last year on both...hehe!

Timesinks: Both of these games have something outside of the normal modes that may keep you busy for a long while running. FIFA 12 did add on a somewhat deeper, managerial mode this year but PES' Football Life feels like it has more meat on the bone (I heard that last year's was deep also because there is so much more to do than on FIFA. You get to run more of the team aspects such as sponsoring, training, transfers and so forth. You can hire staff for various parts of your operation and there are animated scenes that guide you along the way. While all of this feels nice and good, my small complaint is that this late into the life cycle of the 360, it may have been cool to have some voice work to go along with it instead of all the reading that comes along with it.

This is something that I wish FIFA had and if anything keeps me from playing FIFA 12 for a stretch, this would be it. It's a crime that most sports games nowadays don't have, as a standard, a deep franchise/GM mode to allow you to hype up or mess up your team any way you please! It seems like if companies want you to go behind the scenes, then you will get (Insert Sport Here) Manager (yes you, EA Sports!). If FIFA 12 had as deep a Player Manager mode as PES, then the war between these 2 would be won, but it's not to be. EA, take a hint, take FIFA Manager, chuck it and put it into the FIFA franchise and people would kill to get the next iteration!

My timesink on FIFA 12 however, is the Ultimate Team. I didn't get a chance to play with it in FIFA 11 (because I got on so late in the gaming cycle) but gosh, this is fantasy football on steroids!!! It takes all of the elements of a CCG (collectible card game for those I lost there) and mixes it with the game playing elements and you get all kinds of crazy recipes! You can get rare players, equipment, cards that gives you stat boost and worst of all, it will cost you some coin. I won't lie, I spent about 10 bucks last night buying some packs to get a better team that what was given. And hanging around the auction house??? It's bad news because you will drool over the player cards that you want but don't have enough coin to buy. Also I like how the strength and chemistry of your team may be based on team mates, nationality or other factors. I think I spent about 2 or 3 hours on that before I remembered that I still had a career mode to play and never got to!

What I am looking forward to seeing is how PES handles transfer deadlines as I have reached that point so far on FIFA 12 and I like the way they handle the last day so far and I am also interested to see how aggressive the AI on PES is when trying to lure your players away. I am also looking forward to see how players grown on both and compare notes to see which ones last and which don't.

So, to wrap this up, in so many ways, this year's futbol war reminds me so much of 2004 when both Madden 2K5 and ESPN 2K5 games came out. Whereas Madden had all of the bells and whistles, 2K5 had more for it under the hood especially with the ESPN style presentation and became a benchmark game (that the Madden series still have yet to realize) that people still talk about today. Right now as it's only been a few days I have played FIFA and a day that I had with PES to call a clear winner. It's easy to see why gamers take both sides because what one has, the other doesn't and what one may do, the other does better and it's a shame that we can't magically merge both games together to have the perfect game. As a 1st Impression of both series, it's a tie with PES having a slight edge over FIFA in the career mode as well as gameplay and FIFA 12 having the advantage in presentation, on field graphical animation and Ultimate Team timesink.
You can't go wrong with either one

PES 4 stars
FIFA 12 4 Stars
on November 29, 2011
I'm a long time fan of PES, I've played every year's game... I played last year's a lot! I usually play "Become a Legend", "Master League" and play with my friends. So my review will be basically focused on them...

Just to start, the game is really good! They made an effort trying to make it a little bit more "arcade" (FIFA style), but training (in start menu) got better and they redesign the penalty kicks (which were AWFUL last year).

Become a Legend and Master League are good, the story gets more real with presentations, talking with the trainer and managers and many options to choose or change every week. In ML is pretty much like last year, but I enjoyed BAL last year, my only complain is that last year's game I could use the training for special abilities (like great players have) or learn a new position on the field, and that's something that is missing in this game!

The thing I said about the game being more arcade FIFA-style, was because with some players (like: Messi, C.Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic & Pato) is almost impossible to take them down, or even to take the ball off. They can even make non-real goals like 30-40 meters with the defense bothering them... It's annoying! That's something I didn't like in FIFA and now it's in PES, too! =/

Also, they should've made a playlist (music) with more songs. It only have like 10 songs and it gets boring really fast!

Other than that, the game is more difficult, is harder to make precise passes, but that's part of the fun, right? REALISM!

Well, I hope it helps... Ask me if you have any other questions about it! :)
on December 27, 2011
All those who are used to be PES fans might see this game to be wearied at the beginning. The game playing is totally different than the old school PES game but, in my opinion, in a better way. I agree that it might have become more difficult to play, but this, i believe, increases the challenge the game provides.
on September 16, 2014
excellent product. Shop fulfilled with the delivery and arrived on time. the texture and material of the product is of high quality. I am satisfied with the product. I recommend the seller and the products they sell.

The product price is commensurate with the quality. The relationship between price and quality is good. The expectations of the product is guaranteed.
on August 20, 2012
This is the best soccer game iI have ever played in my life. The only bad thing I noticed is that not all the countries have the official names of their players or the uniforms. Maybe it would be the day when soccer games update the palyers movement so we do not have to buy a new one except if you want new functions but not for players.
on December 19, 2011
This game is a significant improvement over 2011. PES is just more fun to play than FIFA. The only thing FIFA has over PES is the licensing, and it only took me 10 minutes to fix the team names in the Premier League.
on January 13, 2012
I've been a long time player of PES; my first edition was PES 3 on the Xbox. Since my first game, PES has been the footy game for me. At its best, it's a great simulation, especially wrt the individuality of players. Skilled players can be distinguished by being able to make skilled plays. A highly technical dribbler will be able to move and beat opponents in ways lesser players can't. While this seems obvious, it's not been true for most series.

This year, after several disastrous years since the launch of the New Gen systems, PES was in a make or break year. While I'd love to give it 5 stars for all of the enjoyment over the years, this year's game comes so close to perfection, but fails in the end. Now, ok, PES doesn't reach 5 stars, but surely it must be at least 4 stars, right? Well, that's the rub.

The game falls short in two major ways, doing so in such a manner that it's hard not to describe the game as fundamentally broken.

PES 11 was terrible. Go on the boards, read the reviews. It hadn't moved to take advantage of the Next Gen platforms. However, the passing system was actually pretty good. For some reason, this year the franchise has moved away from this and now has a system that is so Byzantine that even expert players can't quite figure out how to use. The assisted passing makes boneheaded mistakes. Manual passing is flawed. Simply put, a footy game without passing really doesn't have a reason to exist.

The bigger issue, whether due to limitations of the engine or poor AI, is scripting. The CPU decides something is going to happen and all the manual input can't change things. Think of the Terminator series when SkyNet goes online. Match going well? Closing up shop? Just wait, if the CPU decides to score against you, it will. A crazy through ball. A failed clearance that your whole team just watches. This happens in football; it happens waaayyy too often in PES.

Simply put, I'm not buying PES 2013 until months after release because I don't trust the designers to get this right. I need to be proved wrong by a collective million hours of playtime. If things go well, I'll happily buy the game. If not, I'll stop playing soccer games because the rest, IMHO, are much worse. It is such a pity because this could have been a great, great game.
on November 5, 2013
FIFA has always been a great looking and playing game, but PES(2012) does top it for fluidity and realistic gameplay.
I'm not big on playing the CPU in almost all sports games, but really enjoy playing this one!!
on September 7, 2012
Nothing against this game but, I think I am just not used to it ... Fifa is just so much fun, smart, and better graphics. I just resold this game at a lost instantly, instead of keeping it for dust.
on October 17, 2012
with high expectations since it was bought to be given away in the coming Christmas holidays for a teenager, it looks very good as you can generate mental destresa to complete the game! thanks

See 1 answered question