Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on November 16, 2012
This is from my son who is 10 yrs old and loves to play, watch and play video-games with soccer..

This game is very good. The graphics are great, and there are many more features in this game than FIFA for WII, like in PES, you can go straight to penalty shoot-outs,(instead of having to play a full game, like FIFA) also you can choose the order of your pk takers, and free kickers. This didn't matter to much, but Chelsea F.C. and Arsenal F.C. are called London F.C. and North London F.C. And their jerseys are differnt, but what matters is that the players are all there with their numbers like Chelsea's new signing Edin Hazard, and Arsenal's new signings Lucas Podolski, Oliver Giroud, and Santi Cazorla. The graphics are also incredible, and what I like is most players has it's own playing style, like for example, in PES 2013 WII, when Cristiano Ronaldo steps up to take a penalty kick for Real Madrid and Portugal, he stops at the last second like in real life. The controls are good, but in my opinion, there are too many controls. Almost every control is used for gameplay like 1 and 2 and plus and minus.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2012
I've had this game for about a week now, and after putting in many hours of play I thought I'd put a quick "first impressions" review up, and then update it later on. Just a bit of background: my last version of PES was 2009 for Wii and I've played it almost continuously for the several years I've had it. The control that Wii interface gives you is pretty amazing and addictive and it's easily the best sports game I've ever played.

Other than different menus, the first thing I've noticed is that the physics of player movement and momentum have been updated to be more realistic - I haven't played any more recent versions, so this may be the same from last year. It's subtle, but it's unmistakeable and a big improvement, IMO. You can now run after a ball heading toward the sideline and stop & control it, rather than just running out of bounds as in PES 2009. Not always, but these world-class athletes now act more like world-class athletes. Another big change is that when holding Z to pressure the player with the ball, your defender will now sometimes knock the other guy over. Mostly this just results in a free kick, though I've gotten a couple of yellow cards and one very frustrating penalty kick in the 89th minute to lose a game. I guess the lesson is that you can't just hold Z forever - at some point the pressure is too much and your defender steamrolls the player he's pressuring.

I primarily play Master League and that's the only part of PES 2013 I've touched, other than to edit the EPL teams to their proper names. Champions League is now integrated into Master League (finally!) and you can rename the FA Cup to the FA Cup (which you could in 2009, but for whatever reason it didn't make the change within Master League).

Now, here's my big disappointment: there is no more second division. You start in the Premier League, and there is no relegation. WHY, Konami, WHY? Ideally I would've loved them to put in MORE lower divisions, not remove them altogether. Why not give us 50-60 teams from each country, then we can edit them as we like and set up whatever level of promotion/relegation we want? It seems that this wouldn't be that difficult since it was already there to one level in past versions.

So, what this means is that when I start with a team of unknowns (which is how I like to do it) you now have a 1.5 star team playing against EPL squads! In the past my low-quality team would've been in the lower division playing against better-but-still-middling competition. Makes it pretty tough to get any progress going. I cut as much of the dead wood from my team (it seems you start with a bunch of guys with really poor stamina so many of them are useless) at the January transfer window, traded an aging striker (with poor stamina) for a much better goalkeeper, and was able to get a couple of good midfielders, but no improved strikers. With limited funds to work with, this has put me in only a slightly improved position for the remainder of the season. But that's ok. Progress is being made and it shouldn't be too easy. But I had bids for 6-8 different strikers rejected. Oh, and there are far fewer "bargains" to be found. No more young strikers waiting to blossom for only 250 points, etc. Overall the players seem more expensive - which makes sense, I guess, if we're only dealing with top division teams. So far with my slightly upgraded team - but with still far too many poor quality players - goals are hard to come by, so I've got a lot of 1-0, 0-1, 0-0 & 1-1 results.

One new feature (to me, anyway, it may have been there in the past) is that you can now take free kicks from a "behind the kicker" perspecive and choose the arc/curve of the ball - based on the kicker's abilities, of course. Kind of cool, and it's nice to have a bit more control on free kicks.

So, overall, I think this is a big improvement. I don't know if it's a big change from 2012, but that's part of why I don't buy the update every year for sports games - usually the small changes don't justify the price. But this is only $20, so kudos to Konami for that. I'm very happy with PES 2013 so far. The gameplay mechanics are unchanged, for the most part, but the feel of the gameplay has improved for the better. I can't wait to get some better players up front to see how that helps.

A couple more quick notes: the in-game graphics are pretty much the same, maybe slightly better, but there's only so much the Wii can do. (I'm looking forward to a Wii U version) The cut-scene graphics are improved, mostly in the fact that the player models are more varied, and they've done a better job of making famous players more recognizable, though many players now look vaguely cro-magnon.

Lastly - I think the AI is much improved. AI is one of those effemeral things that game companies like to tout and give fancy names to, but I think Konami have actually done something here. In 2009, even at the highest difficulty level, defenders would sometimes just move out of your way. Now they mostly position themselves intelligently and make it much more difficult to get off a clear shot. They crowd the box, they hound you constantly, they make intelligent passes, they will play to open space, and keep the ball moving. Plus they dive in the penalty box - or at least that's my take on it. A penalty in the 89th minute! It had to be a dive! :)

UPDATE 12/29/12: So I'm still enjoying this game. I've now upgraded my team and I'm leading the EPL just past the January transfer window of my second season. Negotiations are much tougher than they were in 2009. Most offers seem to get rejected, but that's probably more realistic - oh, and I have all of the Master League transfer settings at their defaults. One last note on AI: it's improved, the box is often crowded with defenders. It's tough to get a cross to your men in the box, shots and passes are blocked much more frequently and you really have to work to find open space. Still love this game, still disappointed by the lack of a second division.
22 comments18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
For the price, its a great purchase if you're into well made sports games or a fan of the PES series. I have the PES 2011 game for Wii and its a far superior game to the FIFA series (atleast for Wii) as it really allows you to control all players on the field with ease. Basically, its an update on the rosters and teams from the 2011 version, possibly with better graphics and gameplay but well worth the 20 bucks just for the roster update and chance to play with people online (more people playing 2013 online than 2011). I am very satisfied with the product because I was only expecting a roster update and no real improvements in gameplay.
on January 25, 2013
This game is worth buying only if you don't have PES2012. It's a great game on it's own. This game is really just a roster update from 2012.
on November 28, 2012
My 11 yr old son loves it. Says it is complicated, but he enjoys it. A nice addition to our Wii library.
on December 6, 2012
The game graphics are of top quality, the various modes are fun to play; accompanying songs are pleasant too! Overall, an awesome WII game!
on May 2, 2013
I have played Pro-Evolution Soccer on the Wii since 2009. I tried Fifa in 2012. As far as the Wii versions goes, PES is the best simulation for soccer. I have played soccer for many years in a league and Fifa is an Arcade feel. Fifa may have better support from the soccer community but for true soccer feel, PES is much better. If you just like watching soccer, and do not play competitive, you may not notice it. I have to give it up to PES for getting it so close in comparison to the competition.
on February 10, 2015
This review is from my 9 year old, who is the owner of this Wii game
I think the PES 2013 soccer game is a great game! You can compete against other teams. It also has very good players; for example, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Wayne Roony, and Neymar Jr. That's why I think PES 2013 is a great game! I've been playing it over and over for
since I got it from my parents as a gift at Christmas 2013.
on January 24, 2013
My son is 8 years old and he really likes this game. You can create your own players, it's realistic, and the star players in real life are also star players in the game. Also, you can go directly to penalty shootouts. He wishes that you could change the number of players on the field though.
on January 10, 2013
PES 2013 has been my 4th PES game for Wii, and it should be the last one. Not because of the game per se, but by the lack of honesty from Konami's marketing.

When Konami released the PES 2013, it indicated that the new PES would have the Brazilian championship with 20 teams, and that's the SOLE reason I bought the new version, as I was basically winning any championship with any team available. I just wanted to be able to play with my favorite team, as I did not expect the 2013 version to be much more challenging than the 2012.

What was not said in the release is that this is not valid for Wii and PS2 platforms. The older platforms received basically the 2012 game with graphic updates, updated players and new songs, and to learn that, I had to search on Wikipedia...

Konami seems to think while it may not be worth it to release new versions for older platforms, it still makes sense to steal money from schmucks like me by "forgetting" to make it clear that the new additions are not valid for these platforms.

I paid USD 19 to receive something that does not add anything meaningful to what I already had. And considering that Brazil is the only country that combines reasonable economic growth, large population and quality local football, I surely am not the only SUCKER here.

If you don't care about the Brazilian teams, go ahead, the game is good. But I cannot stand such opportunistic behavior and lack of honesty...don't care about Wii, just don't release the new version for it!!!