5.0 out of 5 stars The true unbiased review
Well, first of all, i want to say that i bought the game a few weeks ago, i didn't have access to the game when it was released, it seems the patches and the updates have fixed most of the problems that plagued the release version.
I have played almost every iteration of this title since its release for the PSOne back in 1995/1996, name it "Goal Storm",...
Published 5 months ago by J. Hernandez

1.0 out of 5 stars Laggy gameplay, terrrible AI and online flaws
I got this game on the release date. I am a PES fan who never think to switch to FIFA at all.
I had been looking forward to play it for a long time.
I will state the conclusion fist. It is TERRIBLE!!! Don't buy it yet.

Good improvements:
- I am a MLO fan I played it all the timee. PES2014 has a really good point system.
(Basically, if you...
Published 11 months ago by Freedom

1.0 out of 5 stars Laggy gameplay, terrrible AI and online flaws, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I had been looking forward to play it for a long time.
I will state the conclusion fist. It is TERRIBLE!!! Don't buy it yet.

Good improvements:
(Basically, if you win the one stronger than you, you will get a lot of points.)
- Nice stadium graphic design.
- Nice main menu screen

Bad points!!!:
- Online game play is laggy and you will be delayed all the time (95% of 150 games I have played)
- Terrible AI especially defenders. I have to admit that I'm not good at defending.
But PES2014 the defender is too stupid, they sometimes just watch the attackers.
Sometimes when keeper punched a shot, defenders just do not move and attackers come take a second shot.
- Online flaws again, I got 3 disconnected online games in a row. I was winning all 3 games.
They just disconnected with the reason as the network is bad. So the game was cancelled out of record.
Sometimes the game just froze, I needed to quit the game to PS menu. It means I lost because I abandoned games.
- Slow formation setting. I don't know why they design the new system in formation. The cursor is really slow.
D-pad snap always goes the wrong place.
- Cannot use header!!
- Slow shot and stupid response
- Horrible referee. They are strange. Sometimes I just followed the attackers shoulder with shoulder but they gave penalty kicks to my opponent.
Sometimes, I was obstructed by opponent defenders without any fouls at all.
- Corner Kick is harder to score.
- etc.

In conclusion, don't buy it yet!!!
This game made me frustrated a lot.
Konami might patch it better around November 2013 but not now.
So far, I give only 1 star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Game lags and has frame rate problems. Finish the game before selling it!, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I have been playing PES since it was called Winning Eleven and it only came in Japanese (PS1). This is probably one of its worst outings so far. The past couple of games have been bad but playable. I suspect it might get better through updates, but it should not work like this.

I paid $60 for a FINISHED game, this GAME IS NOT FINISHED. What do I mean by this: PES has always had game-play glitches especially their previous engine, but this year, the engine is clearly still on its working stages, it is so unfinished that it is almost unplayable. It is an experiment, clearly has potential, but they are essentially selling an experiment not a finished product.
Main problems:
1. The game slows down when play goes into the penalty areas.
2. Shooting mechanism is terrible. (worst than previous games)
3. Keepers act weird, but that has been the case for PES for the past 4 games so I'm pretty sure that is never getting fixed.
4. I have not been able to play online at all. (their customer services sucks by the way)
5. Team rosters have not been updated at all, one of the reasons you buy the new game is for the rosters to be up to date.
6. The screen slows down when you are changing the tactics for your team, there is clearly a frame rate problem.

They are SELLING AN UNFINISHED GAME even if they are promising an update by November. Why not just release the game in November? I know they had to compete with FIFA 14, but this is just insulting to faithful PES customers.
Won't go as far as recommending FIFA 14 but...

AVOID IT. LAST PES I EVER BUY.

1.0 out of 5 stars A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT, LAGGY AND SLOWW - SAVE YOUR MONEY!, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I've been playing soccer games since 1994 and sega genesis times.
Have not skipped a single version of FIFA till 2013....
In 2013 i decided to give PES 2013 a try, OH MY GOD, how much better it was, realistic, and fun to play, with instant replays which "cinematic" effect, it adds so much realism, i thought i lived in that game. I clocked in hours and hours of gameplay on PES 2013, especially with my friends online, how much fun it was!
LAGLESS - INSTANT RESPONSE TO YOUR KEY PRESSES.
Fifa 2013 did not even come close. I thought PES had me sold FOREVER....

BUT...

For this season i ordered PES 2014 with release day delivery, having watched a ton of videos on youtube i was so exited to get my hands on it.
THEN COMES BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.
I feel like somebody slapped me in the face with this PES 2014 title.
First of all there are NO CURRENT TRANSFERS.
Bale is not in Real Madrid, Ozil and Higuain are still there, common guys!
The most frustrating aspect is gameplay.
I have not seen so much lag in a soccer game, ever!
PLAYERS TAKE AN EXTRA 2-3 SECONDS TO PASS AND KICK THE BALL.
GAME LOADS FOREVER AND SO SLOW.
IT FEELS LIKE SLOW MOTION AT TIMES.
ONLINE PLAY IS IMPOSSIBLE - FORGET IT. MY FRIENDS WHOM I PLAYED ONLINE AT LEAST 2-3 TIMES A WEEK ARE SAYING THE SAME EXACT THING.

There could only be 2 reasons for that PS3 cannot handle the "super advanced" and "revolutionizing" new engine, NEED TO WAIT FOR PS4.

OR SIMPLY KONAMI RELEASED A RAW PRODUCT.

KONAMI, DO WE LOOK LIKE "DEVELOPERS" OR "TESTERS" FOR YOUR COMPANY?
We are your loyal fans that invested $60 each into your product, product that is defective right out of the box.
I'm not talking about real team names, or player faces, (look @ Inyesta - he looks like a DRACULA in PES 2014), i'm talking about simple usability.
This game is total fiasco, if i was CEO of Konami, i would have quit immediately.
This is a shame guys, how can you release unfinished product into masses? Just to compete with FIFA? You should have released in December - but make it as fast and fun as 2013 version.

To potential buyers i can only say one thing, save your money this season, stick with PES 2013, if you do not have one please invest $30 and get it. You will not regret.

1.0 out of 5 stars WES/PES fan since day one, but PES2014 is a huge dissapointment - it lags and has frame rate problems which are very annoying., October 29, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I have been playing Winning Eleven since day one. I used to play the Japanese version in my modified PS1 years ago. I would recommend all WE/PES games to anyone, except PES2014. This year the game has very annoying frame rate problems - the game is too slow! I was expecting a product at least a bit better than last year, but I am disappointed because the gaming experience is not good at all. Also, I have been waiting for the "Liga MX" for many years; even though PES added Argetina's and Chile's first division leagues, I am still disappointed in the fact that they have been unable to successfully negotiate with Liga MX to add them to their game. A couple of things I like about PES2014 are being able to block cheaters/laggers when playing online ranking games and the free kick experience which is much better this year than previous years.
I do not play the game as much as I used to play the previous editions, it is due to the poor gaming experience it offers. I hope PES2015 is much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars PES 2013 is much better!, December 24, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
Since "Momentum" and "Scripting" in FIFA annoyed me too much, I decided to switch to PES. Naturally I started with PES 14 and I got very disappointed. The gameplay is very awkward. It's hardly possible to controll your players well and to build up a good offensive or defensive play. There are many flaws which sum up to a big disappointment and prevent enjoying the game at all.

Then I went on to PES 13 and I finally found what I was looking for! PES 13 is the perfect soccer game in respect of gameplay and enjoyment. It offers what the most recent soccer-games like FIFA 14 and PES 14 cannot offer any more: fun, challenge and good gameplay.

I hope KONAMI will throw PES 14 out of their windows and continue with PES 13! Because when you have made something almost perfect, there are only little changes needed further more, not starting all over again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, stay with Pes2013., December 10, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
Worst game in the all series. The game is so slow, the defenders are very stupids, they just stay there watching when the the other team comes to attack. Very bad AI.

2.0 out of 5 stars They Removed all the fun, September 30, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
Too bad, PES 2013 was a great game, they could have just updated it, put a couple new features and everyone would be happy, but instead they changed the game play so much that most of the fun is gone now... I'll stick to PES 2013 and be expectant for 2015 game

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun football simulation and PES installment with flaws, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
After reading so many reviews of this game online, I actually opted for FIFA 14 for the first time in 14 years or so. That frustration led me back to PES 2014, despite all the bad reviews. I found out that those reviews are generally no longer accurate.

All the reviews mention frame skipping. I have noticed this once or twice in well over a hundred matches. It does occur occasionally but it does not hinder the gameplay and I've only noticed it while playing online. I suspect this mostly comes from lag, another aspect that I have not had problems with more than usual. Regardless, frame skipping is NOT and issue. Lag is NOT an issue. Yes, some games have lag, as do all online games, including past PES series, FIFA 14, and non-footballing titles. Most games have much less lag than previous PES titles, making almost every online game playable.

These are the two major technical issues that kept me from buying this game, even after playing the demo. They are non-issues. Perhaps the latest update has fixed all the problems. Regardless, there are enough problems with the game, specifically the defense and the refereeing.

The game is one of the most realistic PES titles when it plays well and one of the most frustrating when it stops being a football sim. There are problems, especially with goalie AI and defense AI. Sometimes, the goalie does stupid things, occasionally costing a frustrating, unrealistic goal. Likewise, the defense, while improved with extra controls, still takes a lot of luck and the D-line still misses a lot of long balls and through balls, often leaving a one on one with the goalkeeper. The defensive idiocy _might_ be a deal-breaker. There seems to be no consistency or any way to prevent this, no matter what the tactical settings are. Regardless of the team, no matter how good they are in reality, their defensive play will resemble that of children playing football for the first time in their life. This is the #1 reason I've brought down the stars and is particularly bad in PES 2014, however, this is not new. Defense has always been bad. Suicidal to be exact.

You will get penalties called on your defenders when no one was even fell in the box. Period. This is incredibly stupid. You will also get penalties called when the attacker has shot the ball and falls down. This is simply unrealistic and ridiculous. Other calls are made too and cards given out when the attacker doesn't even fall to the ground. Nonsensical. Still other calls are just completely botched. Everything from the ball being given to the wrong team when the ball is out of touch to ridiculous fouls not called to petty and legal contact (where the attacker manages to stay up) being given a yellow or even red card.

The free kick system has been substantially improved for shooting, but is even worse for passing. With the visual indicator, one has a lot more control over free kicks, making them as dangerous as they are in the real game. On the other hand, long passes, especially goal kicks, are still as difficult and more frustrating than they have been in any PES game since Winning Eleven 7 (my first WE/PES game). Goal kicks and goalkeeper clearances are often shanked and go straight to the opposition, no matter how well hit. It's ridiculous that such simple moves (for a real life goalkeeper) have been turned into frustrating experiences and turnovers. After over a hundred games, it seems that every punt and goalkeeper kick that's not a goal kick goes flat, no matter what, sometimes so flat as to not clear any of the players. Completely insane. Unfortunately, last year's ability to choose a player to pass to rather than using the improved-but-still-stupid long pass controls is gone. So is the ability to change your attach / defense level on the fly, which is unfortunate.

It is a lot of fun to play, but extremely frustrating to see keepers fumbling easy catches or kicking the ball straight to the opposite team, the D-Line not coordinating and letting in through ball after through ball, and despite the improved defensive controls, one's almost complete lack of control of the defense itself and of the individual player on defense. The only way to defend in PES games, this one and PES games of the past, is to stay on offense as much as possible and pray/hope that on defense your players don't act like idiots. Such prayers are answered less and less frequently with each PES game, 2014 being by far, the absolute worst. One thing to note is that the defensive controls are still some of the best out there despite being atrocious. In other words, no one has figured this part out yet in the world of football videogames, afaik. Of course, the plus side to this is that some incredible through balls and plays can be made on offense, but even on offense, the AI sometimes kills a play by running ahead of the ball and doing other completely insane and illogical stuff.

Finally, as the frustration builds up, online play becomes more restricted. You get lower "courtesy" ratings for disconnecting from games. If the game played decently, this wouldn't be an issue, but after getting a second card and penalty for a "foul" where the attacker didn't even fall down, you will want to turn off the PS3 mid game. I've played plenty of games where I was able to stay calm and come back to tie or even win after some ridiculous play by either my defense or a nonsensical call by the referee or both. The game is fun and rewarding, but it has too many flaws. Initially I gave it 4 stars, but as I played more, I started remembering more problems from all the games I played.

1.0 out of 5 stars SUCH A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I have always been a big fan of PES,I bought the 2009,2010,2011 & 2012 versions and i must say,the 2014 edition is the most disappointing of them all.

1.Graphics are of such poor quality.players dont even look anything close to human beings.
2.Game play is so slow.It takes forever to load.
3.Team information does not even seem to be accurate.
4.Sound on & off the pitch is not as good as previous versions.

To be honest,i think PES did a better job with previous versions of this game.If you really want to save money,please avoid this game.
You are better off with the 2012 version.that is even more real than this current version.I really regret pr-ordering this game.
This time around i think FIFA did a way better job than PES.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good game, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 (Video Game)
I did not like the game. It is not like pes 2013. The graphic is horrible. U did not like the circle to aim your shoots.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3 by Konami (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $19.59